Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2017, 11:18   #1
Beacon of light

Organ Donation

What are your views regarding the proposals to change the law over Organ Donation?
The current situation is that you opt in if you want to donate your organs after your death.
This will change so that your organs maybe harvested unless you have opted out of organ donation.

Now, I have carried a donor card for as long as I can remember, but if this becomes law, then I will opt out.
Why? I hear you ask.
Well it implies that my human remains belong to the state...I dislike this thought...so it is the principle.

This is a contentious issue and I know that the discussion with relatives of deceased persons is a difficult one...and often comes at a particularly difficult time.
I also appreciate that there are not enough organ donations, but I feel that this is not the way to tackle it...education is the way forward.

I have, throughout my life, tried to make a positive difference...through choice.
I think this removes my choice and the government will rely on inertia...the laziness of people will solve the problem for them.
So you may say that my choice is still there...and in a sense it is.
( I will use it, but many will put off making the choice actively)
I am perverse I know, but the government should NOT assume consent.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-12-2017, 11:23   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Organ Donation

I agree completely Margaret.To be honest i dont give a stuff what anyone thinks,i got my own mind,
Old 12-12-2017, 11:41   #3
Full Member+

I also carry a card and my thoughts are take what they want and burn what's left. Every one's a winner.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:40   #4
Beacon of light

Yes, that was my approach too, well except the burning...(they can put me in dog food, drop me into the sea...but please no burning)but I resent the fact that the government seem to think that they have power over my earthly remains...and for that reason I will opt out.
cashman likes this.
Old 12-12-2017, 19:42   #5

They have suggested this for years - it will never pass through the government cogs.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 19:50   #6
Beacon of light

It is in action in Wales and Scotland plans to implement it within the next four years.
Old 12-12-2017, 23:00   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
What are your views regarding the proposals to change the law over Organ Donation?
The current situation is that you opt in if you want to donate your organs after your death.
This will change so that your organs maybe harvested unless you have opted out of organ donation.

Now, I have carried a donor card for as long as I can remember, but if this becomes law, then I will opt out.
Why? I hear you ask.
Well it implies that my human remains belong to the state...I dislike this thought...so it is the principle.

This is a contentious issue and I know that the discussion with relatives of deceased persons is a difficult one...and often comes at a particularly difficult time.
I also appreciate that there are not enough organ donations, but I feel that this is not the way to tackle it...education is the way forward.

I have, throughout my life, tried to make a positive difference...through choice.
I think this removes my choice and the government will rely on inertia...the laziness of people will solve the problem for them.
So you may say that my choice is still there...and in a sense it is.
( I will use it, but many will put off making the choice actively)
I am perverse I know, but the government should NOT assume consent.
I don't think we need bother Margaret, especialy me, all my bits an pieces are well past thur sell by date.
I don't want cremating either, like the cannibals use to say when they cooked a missionary "white long pig" thats what a body smell like in a fire, some bodies cooking bacon, its a right pong.
Like thee am going to be buried, hopefuly not alive.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 07:19   #8
Beacon of light

Well, yes Retlaw, I think we do need to bother, because the government are longing for us 'not to bother'...and if this goes through what else might they assume that we consent to.
I know that you are saying that old organs would not be harvested...but they might if they offered a short term solution and they were compatible donors.
How long might it be before every baby born, has and HLA test to determine its ability to be matched.
Even if those under 18 are exempt unless they specify that they want to donate...an HLA database would be useful.

No...I will be opting out.
Old 13-12-2017, 09:13   #9
God Member

in theory i am one that believes in having to opt out. i,m one that wants to donate my organs but just too lazy to get a donor card. my only worry is where the government gets involved there could be cases of people being actually allow to die if their organ is wanted in an emergency. as for the rest of my body they can do what they want with it when i snuff it as i won,t be around to complain.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 11:17   #10
Super Moderator

You don't actually have to carry a donor card. You can register on-line in a minute or so. I registered a few years ago after Les posted about it on here.

https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 13-12-2017, 11:22   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
You don't actually have to carry a donor card. You can register on-line in a minute or so. I registered a few years ago after Les posted about it on here.

https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/
done, thamks for info.
Wynonie Harris likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 13:49   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Well, yes Retlaw, I think we do need to bother, because the government are longing for us 'not to bother'...and if this goes through what else might they assume that we consent to.
I know that you are saying that old organs would not be harvested...but they might if they offered a short term solution and they were compatible donors.
How long might it be before every baby born, has and HLA test to determine its ability to be matched.
Even if those under 18 are exempt unless they specify that they want to donate...an HLA database would be useful.

No...I will be opting out.
Okay Margaret tha meks a good point, then in that case them as removes thi bits and pieces, and them as wants em should also contribute to our funeral costs.

I don't know how funeral costs have got so high, Faythur one day back in the 1980's said mek me a coffin, so I measured him up and bingo one coffin for dad, it was stood in our front room for ages, he used to come up for his tea on Sundays, and he'd stand in it an say "aye thadul do me thas med a good job".
Then when they released his body I hired a van, went up to Accy Vic, and had a right struggle to get the old ****** in the box, then drove up to the crem handed in the paper work, then loaded him onto the trolley an pushed him round to the conveyor belt shuved him on, then put the trolley back by the door, took the van back to the hire place in Grange Lane, an that were it, all for less than £50.
Not exactly as Faythur wanted, he said tek me up Whinney Hill tut tip, but I did me best.
Old 13-12-2017, 13:55   #13
I am Banned

Old 13-12-2017, 15:34   #14
Beacon of light

Yes, I carried a donor card for a while, the registered online, but I will be asking for my name to be removed from the list if the new regulations go ahead.

It is about the principle of assumed consent.
When you have any kind of surgery, the doctor has to give you information that you can understand so that you can make 'informed consent'...the hospital does not assume that because you have turned up, you give your consent.
Old 13-12-2017, 16:29   #15
Super Moderator

Personally, I think it's a great idea and I hope they introduce it. If it means more organs are available to save peoples' lives, that's fine by me.
AccyMad likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..