Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 06:08   #1
God Member

Ossy church demolition

I have just found this news article about the Melbourne St 'church' (not of architectural value)
Oswaldtwistle church housing plan given thumbs up (From Lancashire Telegraph)

It says it is 'unused'.
I have always been under the impression that it was this 'church' who owns the land next to the Pet Warehouse nearby, which has been used as a car park and is now fenced off. Please advise me if you know different.

If the church is unused, why have they fenced off the land to build a replacement

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-08-2008, 09:16   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Ossy church demolition

I've always been under the impression that its in use Maragaret, it was used as a polling station too, but don't know if it still is
Old 07-08-2008, 09:29   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I've always been under the impression that its in use Maragaret, it was used as a polling station too, but don't know if it still is
Was a polling staion when I first moved here - but not at last election in May - gone postal have you?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:36   #4
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Lets hope they do something about that shop near by first!(former village pantry), its awful, dirty sods should be fined for having a tip like that, im sure i wouldnt like my house looking at that ****ole!

wonder if they will be rented or for sale?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:41   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Was a polling staion when I first moved here - but not at last election in May - gone postal have you?
I've had a postal vote since my twenties, at first for work reasons, and then for health reasons, can't remember the last time I voted at a polling station, St Pauls Ossy was the last one I used
Old 07-08-2008, 13:53   #6
God Member

My kids used to go to sunday school there when they were little. I thought it was still used for that.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:53   #7

Its always sad when a church gets pulled down, and then a mosque gets built.

Bye bye british heritage!

I love Jaffa Cakes!!

All Hail evil Gloworm!!!

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny
(")_(") into your signature to help him gain world domination.

I sometimes lay down at night and stare at the stars and its then i realise.. SOMEONE'S STOLE MY ROOF!!!

I'm always amazed when I hear people saying; "That GORDON BROWN, he's a great leader". And I wonder, where can one find a drug that would make one so delusional?
danny27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:55   #8
God Member

This isn't a church in the normal understanding of the word - more like a wood bungalow which was used by yankee style bible thumpers

Old 08-08-2008, 11:59   #9

Oh...well still, very sad. Sorry maggie, im not familiar with the place, i just assumed it was a "church"

I love Jaffa Cakes!!

All Hail evil Gloworm!!!

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny
(")_(") into your signature to help him gain world domination.

I sometimes lay down at night and stare at the stars and its then i realise.. SOMEONE'S STOLE MY ROOF!!!

I'm always amazed when I hear people saying; "That GORDON BROWN, he's a great leader". And I wonder, where can one find a drug that would make one so delusional?
danny27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..