Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2014, 19:20   #16

Re: Ossy Moor wind farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
I`ve always had a bit of a theory about wind farms, I`ve no links or proof this is true, just my own theory.
A gust of wind blows between point A to point B at say 30mph, it passes point A at 30mph and arrives at point B at 30mph(ish), carrying with it a load of rain clouds etc.
Someone puts a load wind farms between points A & B, The wind still passes point A at 30mph but when it gets to the wind farms, by turning the turbines, the wind speed is reduced to say 10mph.
Wouldn`t this reduction in wind speeds around the country affect the weather?
Are the turbines to blame for our recent floods?
The wind wont be reduced because the turbines are turning causing.....you guessed it....wind
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-03-2014, 19:31   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
EnergieKontor who own the wind farm created a community benefit fund and details about it and what can be funded and how can be found here Welcome to the Windfall page :: Prospects Foundation
OK so we are getting some projects funded in Accy, I mean, yeah you can tell its worth it by the way Accy has been revitalised and is a thriving hub of industry and commerce that attracts businesses from all over the world, but how much does the funding come to?...a thousand, ten thousand pounds...what? I see there are grants available but where are the schemes that make people who visit Accrington say "WOW look at Accrington now it fantastic", rather than "bloody hell more big name shops and pubs shutting and more pound and charity shops opening"

Someone must be getting rich and benefitting from these turbines and it certainly aint me or, I suspect, no one else in Accy. If these things are not efficient where does the money coming from?

Last edited by Karateman; 01-03-2014 at 19:38.
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 19:34   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
The wind wont be reduced because the turbines are turning causing.....you guessed it....wind
You think turbines cause wind? They aren`t fans. It`s called transfer of kinetic energy, take the winds energy to turn the turbines.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 20:41   #19
God Member

my youngest had chille beans tonight and im serously considering sending him up yonder moors to power them bloomin turbines if he keeps pumping them out at the rate he is doing

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 22:22   #20
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Ossy Moor wind farm

Quote:
You might as well say "the fly effect"....if a fly farts does it change the atmosphere and cause global warming....doh!

Yes!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 22:26   #21

Ossy Moor wind farm

Quote:

So, friction doesn't exist in your world?
It's all these rotating blades slowing down our orbit of the sun taking us closer, and, closer, no wonder I sweat when I get a utility bill.
Old 01-03-2014, 22:29   #22

Ossy Moor wind farm

Quote:
OK so we are getting some projects funded in Accy, I mean, yeah you can tell its worth it by the way Accy has been revitalised and is a thriving hub of industry and commerce that attracts businesses from all over the world, but how much does the funding come to?...a thousand, ten thousand pounds...what? I see there are grants available but where are the schemes that make people who visit Accrington say "WOW look at Accrington now it fantastic", rather than "bloody hell more big name shops and pubs shutting and more pound and charity shops opening"

Someone must be getting rich and benefitting from these turbines and it certainly aint me or, I suspect, no one else in Accy. If these things are not efficient where does the money coming from?

I want to smoke what you are on, don't Bogart that joint.
Old 01-03-2014, 23:14   #23

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Kinetic, mechanical, electrical....meh..

Fact is the sun causes the wind and we'll be ok for the next few billion years...there is as much hokum out there about wind farms screwing with ecology as there is about greenhouse gases, Elvis in the chip shop, the Illuminati and the Queen being a lizard from another planet.

I'm with Neil...rather have these things next to me than a nuclear plant
Less likes this.
Old 01-03-2014, 23:24   #24
Senior Member+

Ossy Moor wind farm

Lesser of two evils is still evil.
Old 01-03-2014, 23:41   #25

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Lesser of two evils is still evil.
Lesser of two evils albeit unpleasant, by definition is still the best choice
Old 01-03-2014, 23:49   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Lesser of two evils albeit unpleasant, by definition is still the best choice
Is there only two options, nuclear or wind farms?
Old 02-03-2014, 00:02   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Is there only two options, nuclear or wind farms?
The EU is making us shut down our coal fired but not sure if they will still allow us to have gas fired power stations. We have some bits of Hydro as well in the UK.
Old 02-03-2014, 00:10   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The EU is making us shut down our coal fired but not sure if they will still allow us to have gas fired power stations. We have some bits of Hydro as well in the UK.
My point was, just because it may be the best option of the two mentioned (nuclear or wind), doesn`t make it the best option overall.
Old 02-03-2014, 00:54   #29
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
My point was, just because it may be the best option of the two mentioned (nuclear or wind), doesn`t make it the best option overall.
What do you think is the best method of making the stuff then?
Old 02-03-2014, 05:55   #30

Every home should be made to have one of these to generate their own electricity and burn some calories at the same time !!!

Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..