Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2014, 12:21   #91
Beacon of light

Re: Ossy Moor wind farm

Well, I suppose Modern Art is one way of looking at them....but to me they are eyesores.....only marginally more appealing than pylons.

They deface large areas of natural beauty. It would not be so bad if they were doing a good job, but they aren't.
maxthecollie likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-04-2014, 13:05   #92
Full Member+

They do say beauty is in the eye of the beholder Margaret.
Old 04-04-2014, 13:18   #93
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Have to say i dont mind the look of em at all, Thats not saying if there any use or not.
Old 04-04-2014, 14:08   #94
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
They do say beauty is in the eye of the beholder Margaret.
Yes they do. I just preferred to see the Ossy moors before it was dotted with these things.
At least I have the pleasure of that picture in my memory.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 17:06   #95

How many Wind Turbines does it take to make a Wind Turbine. My guess is they could never be economical enough just for that, let alone supplying power for every other kind of industry.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 17:27   #96
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
How many Wind Turbines does it take to make a Wind Turbine. My guess is they could never be economical enough just for that, let alone supplying power for every other kind of industry.
Looks like you guessed wrong. The average windfarm produces 20-25 times more energy during its operational life than was used to construct and install its turbines

Info from here Does building turbines use more energy than they produce? | Environment | theguardian.com
DtheP47 likes this.
Old 05-04-2014, 19:15   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
Neil or anyone
could you explain what subsidies are and why we need them? and whether I could get some to help pay for my fuel bills...LOL
anyone????

What actually are subsidies for?
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:37   #98
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Which subsides do you mean?
Old 08-04-2014, 18:15   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Which subsides do you mean?
I dont know...everyone keeps mentioning subsidies which the public pay for to have the windturbines built and I was just wondering what they are and who gets them and why?
Old 08-04-2014, 23:53   #100
Senior Member+

If (and it's a big if) ALL the (true) costs of wind farms were made public, there would be a public outcry to ban the (god forbidden) things overnight (which camo's father just so happens to have a finger in.
David Cameron?s father-in-law?s £350,000 annual bung? | windfarmaction

Perhaps they should just let the things run and 'discount' that price to us mere mortal consumers for that period, instead of paying producers to turn them off
Wind farms paid £30m to shut down during high winds - Telegraph
Instead of wasting our money, use it to build a massive hydroelectricity lake etc. Storing excess in rechargeable batteries, This is an easy way to store electricity.
There are quite a few different of ways but major rechargeable batteries sound good, these batteries could then be run all over the country to where electricity is needed.
Whatever happens we need to get energy prices down and paying to switch off turbines that generate electricity is messed up (it's no wonder so many landholders and companies are so willing to build these monstrosities, despite their inefficiency in electricity production).....

It stinks of corruption IMHO

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 08-04-2014 at 23:59.
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:42   #101
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
If (and it's a big if) ALL the (true) costs of wind farms were made public, there would be a public outcry to ban the (god forbidden) things overnight (which camo's father just so happens to have a finger in.
David Cameron?s father-in-law?s £350,000 annual bung? | windfarmaction

Perhaps they should just let the things run and 'discount' that price to us mere mortal consumers for that period, instead of paying producers to turn them off
Wind farms paid £30m to shut down during high winds - Telegraph
Instead of wasting our money, use it to build a massive hydroelectricity lake etc. Storing excess in rechargeable batteries, This is an easy way to store electricity.
There are quite a few different of ways but major rechargeable batteries sound good, these batteries could then be run all over the country to where electricity is needed.
Whatever happens we need to get energy prices down and paying to switch off turbines that generate electricity is messed up (it's no wonder so many landholders and companies are so willing to build these monstrosities, despite their inefficiency in electricity production).....

It stinks of corruption IMHO
I doubt batteries would be practical. They would have to me massive and they are not environmentally friendly either. Hydroelectric storage like the Welsh one is probably the best way to store electricity.

You need to read more about why they do turn the turbines off. They couldn't keep them turning and give us cheaper power. It's the fossil fuel power stations that can't be turned off that are still producing enough to meet demands. They can't just flick a switch and stop them or worse flick a switch and start them when the demand peaks again at 5pm or whenever it is. They always produce more electricity than is needed so we don't run out ever.
Old 11-04-2014, 20:14   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by karateman View Post
i dont know...everyone keeps mentioning subsidies which the public pay for to have the windturbines built and i was just wondering what they are and who gets them and why?

anyone!!!!!
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 11-04-2014, 21:36   #103

Quote:
anyone!!!!!
I'll guess then....

first
It will be many thousands of pounds from taxpayers paid to rich land owners to allow them on their land..making them even richer and the tax payer poorer. Mr Camerons son in law for one

Tax Money paid to the companies that build the eyesores towards the building and design costs of the said eyesores.

tax Monies paid to Councils for allowing them to build in their area ignoring public opinion

Tax monies paid to Energy companies to invest in these eyesores and up their profits even more for their rich shareholders....

So...how many out of 4....hopefully none and they are actually paid for by the companies themselves and us the tax payer dont contribute anything except less tax and less towards our energy bills....perfect
Alan Varrechia likes this.

Last edited by Karateman; 11-04-2014 at 21:39.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:59   #104
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
I'll guess then....

first
It will be many thousands of pounds from taxpayers paid to rich land owners to allow them on their land..making them even richer and the tax payer poorer. Mr Camerons son in law for one

Tax Money paid to the companies that build the eyesores towards the building and design costs of the said eyesores.

tax Monies paid to Councils for allowing them to build in their area ignoring public opinion

Tax monies paid to Energy companies to invest in these eyesores and up their profits even more for their rich shareholders....

So...how many out of 4....hopefully none and they are actually paid for by the companies themselves and us the tax payer dont contribute anything except less tax and less towards our energy bills....perfect
Do you mean guess or do you mean you will make up some statements that you hope everyone will assume is fact and agree with you?

Hyndburn Borough Council will have received from Energiekontor for building the windfarm on Oswaldtwistle Moor planning consent charges. Were any section 106 monies paid to HBC or are you suggesting backhanders were paid?

Would you like to comment on the restoration and improvement works Energiekontor have done on the moor or would you prefer to just keep slagging them off? I don't just mean fixing problems they have caused but those that were there before they built the windfarm.

Last edited by Neil; 12-04-2014 at 10:05.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 13:55   #105
God Member

my guess is some farmers get paid subsidies NOT to farm land then get paid more subsidies to allow wind turbines on them

my guess is a lot of farmers out there get a lot of money for sitting on their arse while other farmers have to get up at the crack of dawn and work their fingers to the bone to get by

i dont know how they figure out who gets paid to to do sod all and who dosnt it may well be just luck of the draw

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..