Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2012, 15:50   #1
Senior Member+

Oswaldtwistle Wind Farm

How many people have had their TV reception blocked out by the Wind Farm on Ossy Moor. The Windfarm Company sent an aerial company round to our house this afternoon to turn my aerial from Winter Hill to Haslingden.and we would lose 60% of our channels. I told him no you can't do it, it is unacceptable to lose so many channels when we have not had them all that long. He told me that for a contribution to the council I could have a basic freesat installed so I told him where to go.We have a twin channel digital recorder which we can't use. All I am asking for is for the same as I have now.Is it too much to ask.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-12-2012, 16:02   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Oswalstwistle Wind Farm

Just wondered if the aerials you have are quite old, as these need updating sometimes ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 16:04   #3
Senior Member+

No our aerial is only about five years old
Old 04-12-2012, 07:51   #4
God Member

Heres a list of freesat channels, freesat Channels - Free Satellite, HD & Radio Channels - freesat is there something you get on freeview currently that isn't listed?

they should certainly replace your twin tuner PVR with a freesat equivalent so you are no worse off...

My Mum recently switched to Winter Hill for exactly the reason of Haslingden having less channels, luckily she doesn't appear to be affected. Hers is a brand spanking new fancy aerial though. At my house we have never been able to get a terrestrial signal due to teh trees etc being in the way so I've been on Sky for > 12 years

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:16   #5
God Member

that windfarm was put up a few weeks after cameron announced severe cutbacks on windfarms,what a shame he didnt sort it sooner.

what an eyesore and waste of money.They have spent most of the time switched off because its been too windy for them.One would think they would design something that can handle high winds as it would generate more electricity.Its not as though our windy days are any match for hurricanes like they get in the USA for example.I go past them every day and the most i have seen in operation is 3.

a tin of beans and a childs windmill toy stuck behind my arse would generate more electricity than what they have and be a lot cheaper too

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 04-12-2012 at 08:19.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:21   #6
God Member

just a tip for those suffering from signal loss if your laptop has hdmi output and you have hdmi on your tv some tv shows can be slavaged if you hook your laptop up to your tv and watch iplayer,4od and the itv one.

you can also connect via a vga cable but you need to run sound to your tv seperatly or use a set of computer speakers

or just watch it on your computer if you dont mind a small screen

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 04-12-2012, 11:20   #7
God Member

be be wary if you are on a capped data package as its dead easy to batter through 2 GIG when streaming TV!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:59   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
what an eyesore and waste of money.They have spent most of the time switched off because its been too windy for them.One would think they would design something that can handle high winds as it would generate more electricity.Its not as though our windy days are any match for hurricanes like they get in the USA for example.I go past them every day and the most i have seen in operation is 3.
As far as I am aware only 4 have been mechanically and electrically commissioned so far which is why there have only been 4 turning so far. The rest will come online over the next few months as they are commissioned.

I agree they are not very nice to look at, as for waste of money I think we will have to wait 25 years until they are decommissioned before we will know if they were a waste of money. They are quoting that they could supply 52% of Hyndburns electricity but again only time will tell how accurate that is.
susie123 likes this.
Old 04-12-2012, 15:29   #9
Senior Member+

I've seen more than 4 turning as we can see them when we walk Max up the track from our house.More and more people are now saying their tellies are getting a bad signal. I feel sorry for the older generation who cannot understand and thinking their tellies are on the blink.

Last edited by maxthecollie; 04-12-2012 at 15:31. Reason: extra text
Old 04-12-2012, 15:31   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
commissioned.

I agree they are not very nice to look at, as for waste of money I think we will have to wait 25 years until they are decommissioned before we will know if they were a waste of money. .
Current expected life span of a wind turbine- 10 years before major failure or major maintenance. Some are only lasting 3 or 4 years before the gearboxes go 'crunch'.
Efficiency- I think it was less than 20% and on the cold, windless days in winter the only way they'll keep you warm is if you keep running round them.
Wasted money- I think so. Blots on the landscape- definitely.
greatharwood likes this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 16:57   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Current expected life span of a wind turbine- 10 years before major failure or major maintenance. Some are only lasting 3 or 4 years before the gearboxes go 'crunch'.
Efficiency- I think it was less than 20% and on the cold, windless days in winter the only way they'll keep you warm is if you keep running round them.
Wasted money- I think so. Blots on the landscape- definitely.
I do not think wind turbines are all that we are told they are. Maintenance costs must be horrific - bad enough on land but what about the ones in the sea. If there is no wind then back up power must be provided - fossil fuels or nuclear. If there is too much wind then then the same problem arises as they have to be shut down.
They are supposed to be the answer to climate change, but to my mind they actually contribute significantly to climate change.
Firstly there is the manufacturing process, not just of the turbines but also the construction and additional cable - all of which use significant energy.
Secondly, we are told that energy cannot be created or destroyed, so if we assume that a turbine is 97% efficient then for every megawatt of electricity that a turbine generates more than a megawatt of energy is extracted from the wind - lots of turbines, lots of megawatts must result in a very great reduction in the winds. Wind is an intrinsic factor in weather patterns, so if the wind patterns change then the climate must change, perhaps that is why weather forecasts have become so unreliable.
Stop the turbines and increase nuclear or fossil fuel power generation seems to be the only sensible way to go.
Old 04-12-2012, 17:11   #12
God Member

there were 5 operating tonight on our side of the wind farm.Maybe when they get to running 6 they will clear fog over hassy old road :-)

Old 04-12-2012, 17:12   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

How can increasing fossil fuel power be sensible when it is a finite source of energy and is known to effect the climate.

As for gearbox failure, they expect to change one in the 25 year life of the 12 which is less than a 10% failure rate.
Old 04-12-2012, 17:21   #14
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Stop the turbines and increase nuclear or fossil fuel power generation seems to be the only sensible way to go.
And how much energy do they take up when they're being built?
Old 04-12-2012, 17:58   #15
Full Member+

Has anyone been experiencing interference on their digital phones since these things were commissioned?
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..