Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Barrie Yates
  • 2 Post By hyndburner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-10-2014, 11:45   #1
Senior Member+

Our great council

One of our local councillors was allocated some money to improve the roundabout at the top of our street and went ahead and spent it. Now I believe she has been allocated £2000 for a Christmas Tree and lights. What a waste of our money. The school across from me has a defibrullator for public use but only when the school is open.The school has been approached by the people who donated the machine about this and they have not got the funding for an external cabinet. What is more important potentially saving lives all year round or a tree for a month once a year.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-10-2014, 12:07   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Our great council

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
One of our local councillors was allocated some money to improve the roundabout at the top of our street and went ahead and spent it. Now I believe she has been allocated £2000 for a Christmas Tree and lights. What a waste of our money. The school across from me has a defibrullator for public use but only when the school is open.The school has been approached by the people who donated the machine about this and they have not got the funding for an external cabinet. What is more important potentially saving lives all year round or a tree for a month once a year.
The community seem pretty tight up there max perhaps you should start a petition saying keep your tree we want a outdoor box for the defibrillator.

Where would they put the tree on the round about? I can't remember as its been a while since I was up that way I use to walk the hound up the path at the top and over to the coppice.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 12:16   #3
Senior Member+

Apparantley there is provision for a Christmas Tree there. The county council are there today tarmacing behind the wall . I have also sent an email to our great M.P. on Saturday 11th October ans surprise surprise has hasn't replied
DSC00109.JPG

Last edited by maxthecollie; 16-10-2014 at 12:20.
Old 16-10-2014, 14:09   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

How can an external case be secure for the AED and stop it being stolen for resale or just stop kids messing with it?
Old 16-10-2014, 14:24   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
How can an external case be secure for the AED and stop it being stolen for resale or just stop kids messing with it?
I think they have combination locks that only emergency services know the combination, they tell you the combination when you ring 999. Obviously it`s still not 100% secure though.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 15:24   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
They do make secure external enclosures for them with key pad. When you call 999 they tell you the position of the nearest one and the code for the pad
Old 16-10-2014, 15:36   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
They do make secure external enclosures for them with key pad. When you call 999 they tell you the position of the nearest one and the code for the pad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
I think they have combination locks that only emergency services know the combination, they tell you the combination when you ring 999. Obviously it`s still not 100% secure though.
I could be dead by then. And I wouldn't even have got to see the Christmas Tree!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 15:52   #8
Senior Member+

I am sure if all the defib cabinets are alike but the one we collected for, which will be outside the Read con, has to have an electricity supply to it.
That's easy enough in our case because the wire just runs through the Club wall to it.
Old 17-10-2014, 15:36   #9
Senior Member+

Our "great" council? What a list there is of all the failings and wasted money - which after all is mainly ours.
Traffic control - parking, traffic light cameras, speeding, unauthorised vehicles passing the Town Hall. Christmas decorations on a section of Blackburn Road. Removal of seats from outside the Market Hall - but undesirables can still sit outside the Town Hall. Seats on Broadway that cannot be used if it has rained in the last 24 hours or so. Visible Police presence around town (surely the Council & Police do liaise).
How many projects pushed on to us can really be said to be of value in any form - I am sure there are many but just can't think of them.
Of course there will be valid reasons for what they do - in their minds.
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 17-10-2014, 22:14   #10

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

I'll add a couple..the council that decides it knows better than market traders and moves the bus station closer to Tesco and Asda than the independents yet in another breath says that a retail park at Whitebirk would hurt town centre trade.

A council that stands by and watches, as, after conning them into fighting a large out of centre retail park, Burnley and Blackburn council revitalise their own towns by introducing...wait for it...some out of centre retail parks and enticing high street traders into them..but hey..at least Hyndburn has its very own market hall shopper......yay..result!!

How about allowing a property developer to build houses on a playing field in Great Harwood, an MP who spouts platitudes about maybe perhaps speaking to people about thinking long and hard about the possible outcomes of taking away a playing field (note...speaking politic and not saying anything really)...then our beloved labour council go right ahead and pass the plan... reason...we need more modern houses..talk about playing both sides of the coin...wasn't it our labour council banging on about regenerating woodnook..because we need more traditional housing. People must be queueing up to buy both detached and terraced houses in Accy...probably because we'll have a nice warm bus station, with a coffee machine while shoppers wait for the connection to Blackburn, Burnley, Bury and Manchester.

And in the interest of political equality we have Britcliffe banging on about a major crime wave that needs alarm bells and more coppers...that would be the 0.00012% increase in shoplifting in Asda in the first 5 months of the year....of course thats nothing to do with the tory government, which he so heartily supports, screwing people so hard that they need food banks or to behave like Jean Valjean.

Bear in mind this is the council that has roughly 50% of its incumbents who dont pay their council tax on time...some of whom need more than one reminder, but seek shielding from name and shame under the data protection act.
Old 17-10-2014, 22:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
I'll add a couple..the council that decides it knows better than market traders and moves the bus station closer to Tesco and Asda than the independents yet in another breath says that a retail park at Whitebirk would hurt town centre trade.

A council that stands by and watches, as, after conning them into fighting a large out of centre retail park, Burnley and Blackburn council revitalise their own towns by introducing...wait for it...some out of centre retail parks and enticing high street traders into them..but hey..at least Hyndburn has its very own market hall shopper......yay..result!!

How about allowing a property developer to build houses on a playing field in Great Harwood, an MP who spouts platitudes about maybe perhaps speaking to people about thinking long and hard about the possible outcomes of taking away a playing field (note...speaking politic and not saying anything really)...then our beloved labour council go right ahead and pass the plan... reason...we need more modern houses..talk about playing both sides of the coin...wasn't it our labour council banging on about regenerating woodnook..because we need more traditional housing. People must be queueing up to buy both detached and terraced houses in Accy...probably because we'll have a nice warm bus station, with a coffee machine while shoppers wait for the connection to Blackburn, Burnley, Bury and Manchester.

And in the interest of political equality we have Britcliffe banging on about a major crime wave that needs alarm bells and more coppers...that would be the 0.00012% increase in shoplifting in Asda in the first 5 months of the year....of course thats nothing to do with the tory government, which he so heartily supports, screwing people so hard that they need food banks or to behave like Jean Valjean.

Bear in mind this is the council that has roughly 50% of its incumbents who dont pay their council tax on time...some of whom need more than one reminder, but seek shielding from name and shame under the data protection act.
You can't say that about our council. Hyndburn is an EXCELLENT council, or at least that is what a team of inspectors concluded.

The same team who were wined and dined at the council taxpayers expense, and put up at the Dunkenhalgh during their no expenses spared visit.

Rumours that their EXCELLENT verdict was in answer to a late night TripAdvisor questionnaire about the hotel facilities, rather than on any services the Council had to offer, are pure speculation.
Guinness and Accyexplorer like this.
hyndburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 23:04   #12
God Member

I'm glad we don't have political parties in council ... we get a nice balance between development and conservation ... we have a vibrant downtown ... a decent tourist industry ... good policing ... great fire and rescue and paramedics ... streets ... mmm ... but we all realize that last winter, if fact every winter, was hard on streets ... snow removal; they do a good job in terrible conditions ... garbage and recycling, good. I can't for the life of me see why political parties should be active in municipal politics. I don't really think that Kingstonians are interested in what party their councillor votes for ... as long as the streets are maintained, sewer and water work as they should, first responders are out there doing a super job, power outages get fixed ... and freezing rain and snow are hell on the power lines ... World stage dramas are the business of the Feds; the Province takes care of stuff like health care, education, and provincial policing. Seems straightforward to me. Three levels of government ... each one with its own job.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..