Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-01-2010, 18:00   #1

Outside schools not gritted!

My children go to Mount Pleasant school in Clayton and im disgusted that the council have not been anywhere near it,either to grit or clear some of the ice.
Getting to school this morning was a very scary experience! We had to walk in the middle of the road dodging the cars and black ice patches.
If god forbid one of the children was hurt or worse dies because of falling on the ice, like the 11yr old in Blackburn, im sure the council would be out the day after clearing the paths.
mumtotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-01-2010, 18:16   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Outside schools not gritted!

Did the school close early today?
Old 15-01-2010, 18:21   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Did the school close early today?
They rang as many parents as they could and started letting them come home from 1pm
mumtotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 18:52   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I always thought the Head of that school was sensible (one of mine was there when we lived in Clayton - don't tell anyone I don't often admit I lived there in public )

I don't see the point in causing all those parents problems by closing. The kids were already there so were safe. As the day went on the conditions got better not worse in my opinion.

You might be able to tell I am not a fan of schools closing.
Old 15-01-2010, 19:01   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I always thought the Head of that school was sensible (one of mine was there when we lived in Clayton - don't tell anyone I don't often admit I lived there in public )

I don't see the point in causing all those parents problems by closing. The kids were already there so were safe. As the day went on the conditions got better not worse in my opinion.

You might be able to tell I am not a fan of schools closing.
How else could you live in Clayton? In private Or did you mean "I don't often admit in public that I lived there"
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 19:08   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
"I don't often admit in public that I lived there"
Yes, shhh people will see
Old 15-01-2010, 19:41   #7
God Member

I think Clayton has done well if it only needed gritting today, the rest of us have been waiting for 2 weeks
Old 15-01-2010, 19:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I think Clayton has done well if it only needed gritting today, the rest of us have been waiting for 2 weeks
some of us have been waiting since xmas,gritting has been a shambles but it puzzels me how someone who works for the council always has a nice snow/ice free drive
Polly_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 19:50   #9
God Member

i don't know if any of you lot have listened to the news today or not, but a girl has just died because she fell on the ice outside her school in Blackburn
Old 15-01-2010, 19:51   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly_45 View Post
some of us have been waiting since xmas,gritting has been a shambles but it puzzels me how someone who works for the council always has a nice snow/ice free drive
I meant outside schools, they have only been back 2 weeks, or at least should have been
Old 15-01-2010, 20:28   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
i don't know if any of you lot have listened to the news today or not, but a girl has just died because she fell on the ice outside her school in Blackburn
Was mentioned in the first post.
Old 15-01-2010, 20:43   #12
God Member

oh yeah...anyway

Blackburn schoolgirl dies after falling in icy conditions (From Lancashire Telegraph)

just incase anyone missed it
Old 15-01-2010, 22:27   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post

sadly this wont encourage the council to do any better of a job teh next time we get snow

funny how 3 accidents justify putting up a speed camera that makes money yet all the broken bones and now a death of a child dosnt warrant a bit of gritt but im sure somone from teh offices will issue a statement saying how sad this was to happen

very sad news :-(

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 01:17   #14
Senior Member+

I live on a road that is a main road into a school and the road at the end of my street is a the road to another school as well, neither has been touched!!!! I walked out onto the street this morning with my son and he went flying... luckily I had hold of him!! Its ridiculous i'm not too bothered about myself but when it comes to my child and the fact that my road is the main road to 2 major primary schools!!! whats that all about???
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 08:05   #15
God Member

luckily last nights rain has shifted most of teh ice so the pavements shoudl be a little bit safer

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..