Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2008, 13:06   #1
God Member

Parenting classes

A nursery school (that shall remain nameless) sent out flyers via all the children at my kids' school advertising Parenting Classes. A few days later a woman was in the school yard trying to encourage parents to go to these classes.

She came over to me - I asked her what it was all about. She said it was all about teaching us how to be better parents. At the time I was mid-cuddle with Maddie so I asked Maddie if I needed any lessons in parenting, she shook her head. I turned to the lady and told her that "no thanks" and "I found the whole thing very patronising".

Is it just me? And surely, if someone was a 'bad' parent they wouldn't be likely to go to a parenting class in the first place would they?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-09-2008, 13:08   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Parenting classes

french lady??

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 13:09   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
french lady??
She could have been, I'm not very good at recognising accents.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 13:11   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
french lady??
How did the lessons go Emma?
Old 12-09-2008, 13:13   #5
Senior Member+

lol, thats ussi, she's actually very nice. she was doing the push at tys school the other day,she is a friend of a friend.

It is a parenting course, its supposed to help you control your childs behaviour and learn how to build a better relationship with them.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 12-09-2008, 13:13   #6
Senior Member+

I got one of these flyers from our nursery too and i didn't find it patronising.
It just looked like a class where parents could get together with other parents and give tips, have a chat about what works and what doesn't and talk to outsiders about problems they may see a solution for.
She could have put it in a nicer way 'teaching us to be better parents' is not the best way of saying it but i don't think thats what its about anyway.
The leaflet says its to "bring out the best in your children,give you support,increase your confidence and share ideas".
I think our area needs something like this-i know those that are considered bad parents are not likely to attend but if even one family gets something from the 12 week course i think its worth it.......and its free which is even better

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 13:14   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
How did the lessons go Emma?
you only know i was there because you were sat behind me pulling my pigtails

Old 12-09-2008, 13:16   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
you only know i was there because you were sat behind me pulling my pigtails
I had arranged security to stop the kids stealing anything from the school
Old 12-09-2008, 13:20   #9
God Member

To my knowledge there are still no manuals on how to be the perfect parent, so how come people can be/feel qualified to give classes
Old 12-09-2008, 13:23   #10
Senior Member+

they obviously have a qualification in managing childrens behaviour...... you can learn different strategies that may or may not work with your child..... if it doesnt work then at least you tried.

Old 12-09-2008, 13:25   #11
God Member

Quote:
they obviously have a qualification in managing childrens behaviour...... you can learn different strategies that may or may not work with your child..... if it doesnt work then at least you tried.

Strategies ?? This is parenting not the Iraqi war
Old 12-09-2008, 13:28   #12
Senior Member+

lol, thats what they are called...some of its common sense like praise and encouragment some of them are a bit more in depth and target specific behaviours....

Old 12-09-2008, 13:29   #13
God Member

For a parent that is having a rough time or struggling with children, it can only be a good thing to know that sort of thing is available. Of course a parent has to be willing and it does become a grey area when teaching someone else how to be a parent, but it's good to hear that the grey areas haven't scared the organisers off. If only one parent is helped and hundreds offended then it's well worth it.

It's better than turning towards Channel 4 for 'Supernanny'. Urgh. Horrid woman.

Last edited by shakermaker; 12-09-2008 at 13:33.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 13:30   #14
Senior Member+

its also a chance for parents to build up a support network and make new friends.

Old 12-09-2008, 13:45   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
To my knowledge there are still no manuals on how to be the perfect parent, so how come people can be/feel qualified to give classes
They are not teaching people to be perfect parents, just more confident and aware.

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....

mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..