Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2008, 10:51   #1

Parents to get youth drink guide

Are they having a laugh I think I must be missing something here - Parents to get youth drink guide, BBC

Parents are to be given guidelines as to how much alcohol their children can consume and at what age.

I thought we already had such guidelines - Directgov. Alcohol, your child and the law

Sod the new guidelines. We have laws in place governing this already. Just enforce the law, for goodness sake, how hard can it be. None of this “two-strike” business either, just apply the damned law of the land.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:08   #2
God Member

Re: Parents to get youth drink guide

Hehe, I thought you (and a few others on here) may take exception to this, we know the law is an ass, but does it have to be continually proven?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:14   #3
Senior Member+

ok... fair enough, its a idea and it means that parents will think about how much their child is drinking... it wont make the child think about it tho. As adults how many of us know the guielines but still drink more than that? Everyone has the 'it wont happen to me' view of drinking and smoking and telling people their guidelines isnt gunna change that.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:16   #4
God Member

Why don't they get that your "child" shouldn't be drinking at all?!
Old 02-06-2008, 11:23   #5
Senior Member+

thats going back to my thread about the 10 year old.... some parents dont give a monkeys!

How many parents have given their child a sip of what they are drinking?

when i had tyler baptised my health visiter told me to keep an eye on my guests because she had a child that had been passed around the guests and each one had given the child a sip of their drink and the child had died of liver failure!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:25   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
thats going back to my thread about the 10 year old.... some parents dont give a monkeys!

How many parents have given their child a sip of what they are drinking?

when i had tyler baptised my health visiter told me to keep an eye on my guests because she had a child that had been passed around the guests and each one had given the child a sip of their drink and the child had died of liver failure!

That's disgusting behaviour!

My children haven't touched alcohol and won't until they are old enough I'm afraid, well no I'm not afraid, cos it's the same with smoking, when they are old enough to buy it, they can have it, just the same with my daughters ear piercing, when she is old enough to get them done herself, then she can have them done

Yes, my kids are probably gonna hate me

Least I know I will have done all I can to steer them in the right direction
Old 02-06-2008, 11:29   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
Hehe, I thought you (and a few others on here) may take exception to this, we know the law is an ass, but does it have to be continually proven?
I think i'ts a load of Ed Balls?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:33   #8
Give, give, give member

In much of Europe children do experience alcohol, as part of family meals.

They seem to grow up with the knowledge that it should be respected, and not abused just as soon as you get the chance.

I've been to France and Italy numerous times, and have never seen drunk youths causing havoc, as we have here in the U.K.

My friend Milly's mother thought her daughter had become a raging alcoholic after drinking three glasses of wine in one evening, after having lived in London for three years.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:00   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

its bloody pathetic, same as people who try n explain its a good idea, the simple way is for the law to be upheld, as jaysay said in another thread, people who go along with this "Tripe" are as much to blame fer the mess we are in.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:05   #10

I’m aware that people have a totally different mindset, with a view to alcohol, in other countries. Often from a very early age.

The thing is, we have our own laws governing the sale and consumption of alcohol, yes we have a problem. In my opinion it is that the law as it stands is not being enforced vigorously enough. That is the problem.

Why do we have to have yet another instance of “namby pamby” legislation on the cards. Why consult the chief medical officer? Why have endless meetings/consultations with so-called experts sitting around a table dunking their digestives.

Yet another waste of cash.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:07   #11
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I reckon if the parents are **** heads then so will the kids be!

they learn from YOU!!
Old 02-06-2008, 12:19   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Parents to get youth drink guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Are they having a laugh I think I must be missing something here - Parents to get youth drink guide, BBC

Parents are to be given guidelines as to how much alcohol their children can consume and at what age.

I thought we already had such guidelines - Directgov. Alcohol, your child and the law

Sod the new guidelines. We have laws in place governing this already. Just enforce the law, for goodness sake, how hard can it be. None of this “two-strike” business either, just apply the damned law of the land.
I agree! Apply the current laws.

Being drunk and disorderly in a public place usually meant being arrested and spending a night in police cells and maybe being up before the beak the next morning. Or in some cases the copper would walk the drunk back to his home. Of course that depended on the availability of a copper on the beat.

You do remember a copper on the beat don’t you? It was this tall authoritative figure in a uniform wearing a helmet and walking around town keeping law and order. Sometimes there were two of them together.
Old 02-06-2008, 20:20   #13
God Member

my mates dad caught him underaged drinking and treated him to a whole load of beer when they got home

the next day my mate was puking and felt like he was dying

he didnt touch beer again for years

now thats a parent guide for booze and kids that does work
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:53   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
I reckon if the parents are **** heads then so will the kids be!

they learn from YOU!!
Absolutely spot on panther, there's a reason for the saying like Father, like Son. You spend the first and most important years of your life with your parents, and no matter what people say you do learn from them, you can bet your bottom dollar that if the fathers a pratt the son will be too.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:22   #15
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Parents to get youth drink guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Absolutely spot on panther, there's a reason for the saying like Father, like Son. You spend the first and most important years of your life with your parents, and no matter what people say you do learn from them, you can bet your bottom dollar that if the fathers a pratt the son will be too.
Whilst it is perfectly true that kids learn from their parents during the first few years, their behaviour is modified by association with their peers at school, out and about and what they see on telly.

The “like father, like son” saying is just that – a saying with little merit today.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..