Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2010, 23:54   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Parking at side of Market Hall

i agree wi margaret as regards parking, its a poor do if ya can't stop to pick up goods purchased from that shop, not as if yer blocking a main road oh forgot thats allowed. ya cant park well away if ya got summat heavy or cumbersome from a shop. think the council would do well to get on to these ******* that are booking shoppers fer this.
Old 29-01-2010, 00:31   #17
God Member

seems to me a town center shop selling "bulky" goods should either have validated parking spots nearby or offer free same day delivery ... just good business sense
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 00:41   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
seems to me a town center shop selling "bulky" goods should either have validated parking spots nearby or offer free same day delivery ... just good business sense
Don't think those guys across the pond are big on "good business sense" ... we'll both take the heat on this one ... I know that if I buy a bulky item at the local Walmart, some underpaid kid will lug it to my car for me.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 01:28   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Don't think those guys across the pond are big on "good business sense" ... we'll both take the heat on this one ... I know that if I buy a bulky item at the local Walmart, some underpaid kid will lug it to my car for me.
yep , grocery baggers and 'customer service personnel' (high school kids) earn a minimum wage of $8 an hour in California for after school and Saturday jobs , that plus a $5 tip 3 or 4 times an hour for loading and tying down a couple of sheets of plywood and a couple of 2 X 4s or a few bags of cement at the local Home Depot teachs the kids the value of money and hard work .
And no its not exploitation of the precious little darlings , most are on the local high school football team (built like the proverbial brick out-houses) and have never missed a meal in their life
Old 29-01-2010, 01:33   #20

Have either of you any idea of the area of Britain and it’s population? That many town where here long before the Americas where discovered and are restricted.

And have you not formed an opinion that sense in the form of common sense no longer lives here?
Old 29-01-2010, 01:54   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webglynne View Post
Have either of you any idea of the area of Britain and it’s population? That many town where here long before the Americas where discovered and are restricted.

And have you not formed an opinion that sense in the form of common sense no longer lives here?
So whats your complaint ? .... I can remember buying a Gas oven and Gas Fire from the "gas showroom" ( top of Broadway near Whalley Rd.) do you think I carted them home on the childrens pram, no they were delivered the next day ......if a town center "white goods" shop could offer this service 40 years ago whats the problem today ?
Do you think that the folks who shop on Deansgate in Manchester or Oxford St. in London go there to buy and lug home 'bulk' goods or groceries , no they go 'into town' to spend disposible income and they buy the neccesities (food) at shopping parks ,places where they can park up without having the problem of lugging stuffed shopping bags miles .
Old 29-01-2010, 02:21   #22
God Member

Quote:

I think that both of us have lots of ideas ... some of them geographical, and some historical .... but once in a while, a guy's just gotta have fun
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 09:47   #23
Give, give, give member

Quote:

White man speak with forked tongue.

As both were born, raised, and also educated here, I presume they could both probably have a fairly good stab at guessing the population of the U.K., and their comparissons to other urban shopping areas in the world, shouldn't be so readily dismissed.

Since the year 1492 A.D., many of the problems we have are down to poor town planning, and policy decisions implemented by our councils. They are the ones who are forever changing the layouts of our town centres, and are the ones who decide the policy on parking, and they decide whether to employ rather overzealous private firms, to fine those who are trying to pick up their purchases from town centre stores.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 09:53   #24
God Member

moral of teh story is stay away from accrington town center when buying heavy goods and shop on industrial estates out of town where adequate parking with no risk of fines is available until our halfwitted lot down at the council realise that people dont want to be dragging a large item like a TV accross town to the carpark

with teh cost of this tv and teh fine i dare say a new item could have been purchased

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 10:21   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
moral of teh story is stay away from accrington town center when buying heavy goods and shop on industrial estates out of town where adequate parking with no risk of fines is available until our halfwitted lot down at the council realise that people dont want to be dragging a large item like a TV accross town to the carpark

with teh cost of this tv and teh fine i dare say a new item could have been purchased
Even the out of town superstores usually ask you if you want a hand to lug said large goods to the car . Maybe there's more than one problem in this thread
Old 29-01-2010, 10:32   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Even the out of town superstores usually ask you if you want a hand to lug said large goods to the car . Maybe there's more than one problem in this thread
Do you mean that if I got a T shirt from your shop dave you'd help me to the car with it, I'm XX large
Old 29-01-2010, 10:55   #27
God Member

Quote:
if there was a 10 min pickup zone then yes it wouldnt be too much to ask a shop assistant for a lift to teh car with a large item but to expect them to stop work and lump it half way across town is a bit much lol

i certainly wouldnt do it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 11:03   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Do you mean that if I got a T shirt from your shop dave you'd help me to the car with it, I'm XX large
We advise our customers where to park, and we deliver too
Old 29-01-2010, 11:11   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
We advise our customers where to park, and we deliver too
Oh yes I forgot that dave, glad to see you've carried on delivering even though you have now expanded
Old 29-01-2010, 14:00   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yep...some service industry workers certainly dont really seem to enjoy supplying that service and will do the bare minimum that they can get away with!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..