Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2010, 16:38   #31
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Parking at side of Market Hall

I see, a bilateral alliance from the colonials over the water gangin' up on us poor Brits just cos we don't have drive thru supermarkets !! young upstarts ! show some respect for your elders (here I would add betters, but that'd be rather over egging it a tad )

post refers to pos 17+18 Damned uppity Colonials
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-01-2010, 07:59   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I see, a bilateral alliance from the colonials over the water gangin' up on us poor Brits just cos we don't have drive thru supermarkets !! young upstarts ! show some respect for your elders (here I would add betters, but that'd be rather over egging it a tad )

post refers to pos 17+18 Damned uppity Colonials
i prefer not to take advice on deliveries etc from a nation that emptys a truck by reversing realy fast and slamming on the brakes

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 08:29   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i prefer not to take advice on deliveries etc from a nation that emptys a truck by reversing realy fast and slamming on the brakes
As opposed to you guys, who drive forwards really fast and then slam on the brakes
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 08:57   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
As opposed to you guys, who drive forwards really fast and then slam on the brakes
What breaks
Old 30-01-2010, 15:39   #35
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post

NO,NO,NO, you've got it all wrong that's not deliveries, that's shopping is that, I do believe the technical term is "Ram raiding"
Old 31-01-2010, 12:06   #36
God Member

Quote:
NO,NO,NO, you've got it all wrong that's not deliveries, that's shopping is that, I do believe the technical term is "Ram raiding"
no no the going forward without applying breaks method of ram raiding is a totaly differnt concept of ram raiding usualy used in yorkshire or wales

going backwards without applying breaks is teh method of ramraiding used on shops elsewhere

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 12:18   #37
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Incidentally this form of shopping once frequently carried out in my Home town of Liverpool, was also a resounding "Smash" in other major Metropoli, such as Manchester, Newcastle & I do believe as far as the Home Counties, so before you start it isn't a Northern thing (although we excelled).

Usually compared to a local Supermarket Trolly Dash (the trolly this time having a motor & a rather large stowage area) was often used for an upcoming Wedding celebration.

Firstly The Jewellers to pick up the rings & various other trinkets & baubles (mainly to keep the Brides family from reporting you to the Coppers). Then on to the Offy to collect the Booze for the "Wedding Do" not forgetting Auntie Mabels' 200 Superkings. Then the final leg at "Curries" or "Dixons" or any other suitable ground floor Electricals shop to get the Wedding presents, quality not really being an issue here more quantity ! any duplicates could be conveniently shifted down the Dock road Flea market come Sunday.

To any Scousers out there that may take umbrage, don't I'm one of youse & I don't take myself seriously, so neither should you. That's what makes us Scousers. "Wers yer sens a yumer !"
Old 31-01-2010, 19:56   #38
Senior Member+

I have only used Cash Converters once and rang first to see if they were interested in my PC. It was 9 months old high spec with Wi Fi two DVD writers, one was Lightscribe, a wireless mouse and keyboard plus 22inch flat screen monitor.
I tell you this so you will understand that I had a lot to unload.

The guy who answered the phone told me to park next to the back door, go to the front desk and get a parking permit put in my windsceen and then he would meet me at the back door and carry the PC inside, he spent twenty minutes checking it over and then paid me and I went back to my car.
A traffic warden ( or whatever they want to be called) was just walking away from my car and never said a word so I think a phone call or walk in from where you are legally parked in advance of delivering bulky goods is advisable.

Gremlin R.T.

Last edited by Neil; 31-01-2010 at 20:12. Reason: Removed someones name
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:45   #39
Common Sense Member

I try to shop in Accrington as often as I can to support it and am impressed with the way the mulit-storey carpark is free. There don't seem to be many major stores there, despite the available room. Does anyone know why this is?
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:30   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I try to shop in Accrington as often as I can to support it and am impressed with the way the mulit-storey carpark is free. There don't seem to be many major stores there, despite the available room. Does anyone know why this is?

Simple really, it has to be viable
Old 03-02-2010, 12:41   #41
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Simple really, it has to be viable
I was hoping for a less nebulous answer! Has it gradually declined or has it always been a little sparse? It just seems odd to see big hitters like W H Smith nestled with a load of independent traders. The infrastructure seems to be there with a well laid out shopping centre, good parking facilities, a market and plenty of places to eat and drink. Just seems a shame that there isn't more there to draw people in.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:47   #42
God Member

When it first opend there were quite a lot of big names in the shops ie Curries, Mothercare, think there was a Comet as well plus umpteen others. But then they moved out of town to the retail parks that were purpose built so now we have all thise empty units.
Old 03-02-2010, 13:04   #43
Common Sense Member

That's a real shame. I would have thought that there could have been incentives from the council for traders to move into empty shops rather than have it looking as it does currently. It's crying out for an HMV or Virgin store and how about a Works bookshop? Surely cheap rents would be better than leaving empty units.

Any thoughts anyone?
Old 03-02-2010, 13:10   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
That's a real shame. I would have thought that there could have been incentives from the council for traders to move into empty shops rather than have it looking as it does currently. It's crying out for an HMV or Virgin store and how about a Works bookshop? Surely cheap rents would be better than leaving empty units.

Any thoughts anyone?
You're clearly not the leader of the council in disguise with sensible comments like that

Think most of the shops in the Arndale are Nationals. Independents like us couldn't afford a days rent in there never mind long term
Old 03-02-2010, 13:22   #45
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
You're clearly not the leader of the council in disguise with sensible comments like that
Definitely not. I'll stay where I am, thank you.

It staggers me that the endemic attitude towards low revenues is to make those who are making a success of their businesses pay more rather than trying to attract new blood with lower costs. A shopping centre full of tax-paying businesses has got to be better all round than half of them paying half-tax. Better for the community, better for businesses and better for the council. Everybody wins.

Still, we've got a problem of our own with HSBC at the moment. Making a profit, but not enough of a profit so it has to go. Very sad.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..