Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2015, 19:51   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Parliament needs to reflect the people it represents.

You're getting it all wrong!

Parliament does reflect the people it represents. MP's and Lords are people aren't they?

Our modern Parliament exists to represent and look after the needs of its people. Think what a massive task- ensuring reasonable salaries, superb pensions, subsidised meals and drinks, expenses for everything from a duck house to a full renovation of a very necessary town house(for which Parliament pays the mortgage interest so it can be sold at a massive profit having cost the owner nothing).
It's there to help its people get directorships, consultancies, big fees for half hour speeches(plus free food and booze).
Etc. Etc. Etc.

People complain about zero hours contracts but some of Parliaments people work zero hours(or close to it), you don't hear them complain!

Parliament has to reflect and look after the needs of its 650 MPs and 783 Lords- that's a hell of a job. It really doesn't leave much time for it to worry about the other 66 million of us.

I think it does a really good job! Well, it does if your one of its people.
Otherwise- tough!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-04-2015, 20:26   #17
Beacon of light

Yes, Gordon.....it really only represents those who are in parliament.
It represents their desires and aims really well......but have I got this all wrong?
Isn't it the constituents that these people are employed by(not the political parties)?
Don't we pay them heartily for a job they do, with not our best interest in mind, but theirs?
After all, you never see politicians leave parliament destitute.....they leave far richer than when they went in....And they(likeTB) get richer still as a result of contacts they have made whilst in our employ, and deals they have been fortunate enough to be able to cut for themselves.
Nice work if you can get it!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 20:27   #18
Beacon of light

As you can no doubt tell, I am somewhat jaded with the whole shebang.
Nevertheless, I await someone door stepping me so that I can ask some very pertinent questions.
Old 08-04-2015, 20:44   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
How can this be so Eric...the politicians do not listen to the electorate.

Those things which have worried the electorate for a long time have not been addressed by any of the parties.(porous borders,the EU, foreign aid, the economy,the crisis in the NHS, the corrupt banking system, tax avoidance etc)
Have any of the representatives been knocking on my door.....No, they have not. We are expected to be placated by stage managed TV debates, which make the leader of the parties seem like celebrities, or X factor contestants.
I do not give a flying fig for the personality of those in the debate. It isn't a personality contest....what I really want to know is, has the person asking me to vote for their party got the cojones to take decisive action where action is needed?
Can they be relied upon to listen to the wishes of those who put them in to power?
Will they tackle the thorny issue of child abuse that seems to be at the heart of Westminster(even if it is historic _ there needs to be transparency).
Can I trust what I am being told...or are they all going to be like TB and take the patrician view that they know what is best?(and they will do that regardless of what the electorate think)
That's not what I meant ... you are talking about how politicians follow the wishes of those who electe them ... the statement "Parliament ... represents" doesn't seem to have much to do with that.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 21:31   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I await someone door stepping me so that I can ask some very pertinent questions.
i also await the doorsteppers

iv got a sign saying no cold callers and want to see if it is effective

im pretty sure it not only covers people peddaling crap but also people shovelling it

had them at my womans house and they will say almost anything to make you think they are worth voting for but as shown in recent times what is said before an election is quickly forgotten or dismissed after an election

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 08-04-2015 at 21:33.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 23:14   #21

One politician I have a lot of respect for is Andy Burnham for his help to the families of the victims of the Hillsborough disaster.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:16   #22
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
That's not what I meant ... you are talking about how politicians follow the wishes of those who electe them ... the statement "Parliament ... represents" doesn't seem to have much to do with that.
That quote about what Parliament represents was taken from the election leaflet sent out by Graham Jones......and I agree that parliament in the current state reflects nothing about the electorate.......so it seemed to be ironic that our local sitting MP was trying to bamboozle us into thinking that WE were at the heart of his aims.....his only desire is to progress up the Labour Party ladder and do whatever his party bids him to do.
I thought he was better than that....but we all know that you live and learn.I won't be voting for him again this time around.
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 09-04-2015, 17:16   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
One politician I have a lot of respect for is Andy Burnham for his help to the families of the victims of the Hillsborough disaster.
How long ago was it? What action did Labour take under Blair & Brown?
Old 09-04-2015, 20:24   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
How long ago was it? What action did Labour take under Blair & Brown?
You know how long ago it was, and I'm not talking about Blair, Brown or the Labour Party, but Andy Burnham, whose support was appreciated by the families of the Hillsborough disaster.

Last edited by Michael1954; 09-04-2015 at 20:33.
Old 09-04-2015, 22:27   #25
Senior Member+

I never have nor ever will vote,their just puppets controlled by multi national corps.
Those who do vote are not only harming themselves but everyone else too.
I urge you all not to vote

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 22:53   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I never have nor ever will vote,their just puppets controlled by multi national corps.
Those who do vote are not only harming themselves but everyone else too.
I urge you all not to vote
Ooh, that's a strong statement! Well I will be voting, but I am concerned that I will be harming everyone else. In what way?
Barrie Yates likes this.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:11   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
I am concerned that I will be harming everyone else. In what way?
By introducing their policies which in turn effect everyone.Voting to keep these puppets in power (whichever party you vote for) changes next to nothing (same BS different face).
There’s nothing wrong with being ignorant about how the elite control politics, or with forming your political beliefs thorough irrational thought processes......so long as you don’t vote

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:58   #28

Smile Re: Parliament needs to reflect the people it represents.

Quote:
By introducing their policies which in turn effect everyone.Voting to keep these puppets in power (whichever party you vote for) changes next to nothing (same BS different face).
There’s nothing wrong with being ignorant about how the elite control politics, or with forming your political beliefs thorough irrational thought processes......so long as you don’t vote
Gosh, thanks for that. Being ignorant and having irrational thought processes, I clearly need to seek professional help from a psychiatrist.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:35   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Gosh, thanks for that. Being ignorant and having irrational thought processes, I clearly need to seek professional help from a psychiatrist.
It must be correct cos accyex knows everything, let me know the rates the psychiatrist charges.
Michael1954 and Accyexplorer like this.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:56   #30
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Instead of posting rubbish why not explain how you are going to change anything at all by not voting?
Less, cmonstanley and Barrie Yates like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..