Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2012, 19:03   #1
Full Member+

Pauline Marshall/Marshalls Records

Former record shop owner Pauline Marshall died on Tuesday June 12th after a short illness. I`m sure many on Accyweb were regulars at one of the three record shops Accrington had in the `70s. There is a nice article in this weeks Observer looking back on her life. The funeral is at 3pm Tuesday July 3rd for anyone who may wish to attend, with dress code an appropriate tribute to Paulines vibrant personality. I will be wearing my black suit, as Aunt Polly always liked me in a suit!
Old 29-06-2012, 19:31   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Pauline Marshall/Marshalls Records

Sorry to hear that, got most of my early records from her Top lady was a great help to my early collection. R.I.P. Pauline.
Old 29-06-2012, 20:08   #3
Super Moderator

Bought many a record from Mrs Marshall when she had her shop on Whalley Road (including quite a few that I hadn't intended buying when I went in - she was a great sales lady! ). RIP Pauline.
Old 30-06-2012, 21:18   #4
Senior Member+

Never had the privilege but sounds like we may have locked horns and then got on, RIP Pauline, to the great record store in the sky ! xx
Old 30-06-2012, 22:06   #5
Super Moderator

It was a competitive business back then too, as Accy had five different independent record shops - sounds unbelievable now!
Old 01-07-2012, 20:05   #6
God Member

A lovely, bubbly lady - was the shop I bought my very first single from & used to spend hours in there - RIP Pauline & deepest condolences to your family xx
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:09   #7

What an excellent lady she was...I bought many a record from her in the old days, she was very genned up and knew her stuff, and would go out of her way to order anything you asked for. Sorry to here she's no longer with us. R.I.P Mrs Marshall
AngleIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:02   #8
Senior Member+

The name rings a bell what period was Marshalls open, what about Mary's Music?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 12:57   #9

I haven't been on this site for quite a while and so I have only just seen this sad news. I bought almost all of my 45's (Motown & Northern) from Pauline and still have most of them. Absolute gem of a lady. RIP
stevecl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 19:07   #10

Sorry is this the same lady who ran Marys Music ? Bought loads of records from there over the years.

R.I.P.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 19:14   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurm View Post
Sorry is this the same lady who ran Marys Music ? Bought loads of records from there over the years.

R.I.P.
Nah Shurm different shop altogether. Just on the block from Marys.
Old 17-09-2013, 19:21   #12

Oh right sorry, cheers.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 07:28   #13
Senior Member+

I am annoyed that IU cannot remember the name of Accrington's second record shop. It followed Haworth's of Whalley Rd near top of Broadway and was situated in Abbey St at the top off Little Blackburn Rd. It brought a breath of fresh air after Haworth's stuffy atmosphere. I've forgotten the name of the manageress, who lived on Thorneyholme Rd, but do remember that the young assistant, a few years older than me, was Eunice Kerr, now a gorgeous 70-odd granny. A girl of my acquaintance, Pat Lightfoot, also of Thorneyholme Rd, sister to Ray, worked in the shop part-time.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 07:47   #14
Senior Member+

Was it called "Disc & Tape" Bob? I think that`s what it was called when I used to go in there (mid 80`s)
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 07:50   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I am annoyed that IU cannot remember the name of Accrington's second record shop. It followed Haworth's of Whalley Rd near top of Broadway and was situated in Abbey St at the top off Little Blackburn Rd. It brought a breath of fresh air after Haworth's stuffy atmosphere. I've forgotten the name of the manageress, who lived on Thorneyholme Rd, but do remember that the young assistant, a few years older than me, was Eunice Kerr, now a gorgeous 70-odd granny. A girl of my acquaintance, Pat Lightfoot, also of Thorneyholme Rd, sister to Ray, worked in the shop part-time.

I recall Rod Hill of Warriors fame took over the record shop on Abbey Street and turned it into a Carnaby St style clothing shop. Mog can you confirm ?
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..