Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2013, 20:58   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Pay as you go NHS television rip off.

TV at Royal Blackburn is free between 8 a.m. > 2 p.m., as are land line telephone calls.Can transfer and the company do help you.
jaysay likes this.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-11-2013, 21:05   #17
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I recently spent eight weeks in Lancaster hosp and they installed patient wifi the day before I came home. I agree the pay tv is a rip off but a lot of older people like it as they don't have computers and at home they have a nice TV in the corner which is on all day. It must be annoying if you pay for a certain amount of time and are then moved or discharged.

I must say the nurses were fantastic and always seemed to have time to help patients sort out the TV. Is that one of the first things they teach you in your training, Flashy? (hope it's going well BTW).

Russell when I was in hosp recently I had a private room at first but I asked to be moved as I felt like a prisoner and started climbing the walls. I ended up on a five-bed ward where at least there were folk to talk to.

I send my best wishes to your son for his treatment and wish him well.
Up to this April I had radiotherapy at the Rosemere followed by eleven sessions of chemo at Lancaster where the oncology dept is very small and friendly and they have comfy reclining chairs instead of beds. Fortunately I was a day patient but I thought the ward I saw at Preston looked pretty grim, or maybe things are different now that they've opened the new bit of the Rosemere.
The ward is pretty awful Susie but, as you say, the Rosemere suite is a lot more modern. He goes there as a day patient between cycles.
Old 07-11-2013, 21:50   #18
Resting In Peace

Are you back Kate or is this just a flying visit? good to see your name again anyway!
Old 08-11-2013, 17:22   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
TV at Royal Blackburn is free between 8 a.m. > 2 p.m., as are land line telephone calls.Can transfer and the company do help you.
That must have come in during this year Kate, I was discharged in December last year, there was no free TV then. Nice to see you back posting again
Old 10-11-2013, 17:35   #20

hospital t.v. is an absolute rip off.however the one my wife goes to in barrow in furness still has t.v. lounges if you are able to get to them. perhaps some lobbying and e-mails to our mp.,s may help?they also have pay t.v.
jack preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 18:18   #21
Senior Member+

I spent a short time in hospital at Blackburn, four beds to a room, no TV but a TV lounge just outside the door.
In my room there were two Asians and they had numerous visitors who would wait their turn in the TV lounge eating strong smelling food.
I complained to the boss nurse, not because they were Asians but because of the smelly food and the fact that the TV room was always full.
Nothing was done about while I was in there for another four days.
Boeing Guy likes this.
Old 10-11-2013, 18:24   #22
God Member

if there are more than 3 relatives to a bed on our ward i make them wait on the corridor, i dont think some people understand health and safety, they get turfed out of the dayroom if they are found in there, it is for patients only, even staff arent allowed to sit in there
jaysay and maxthecollie like this.
Old 10-11-2013, 18:58   #23
Beacon of light

Some things never change. I remember dealing with situations like this practically every working day.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 20:03   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Are you back Kate or is this just a flying visit? good to see your name again anyway!
If I can keep myself out of hospital, hope to stay longer in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
That must have come in during this year Kate, I was discharged in December last year, there was no free TV then. Nice to see you back posting again
Got the impression, Jaysay, that this had happened within the last month.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 20:43   #25
Resting In Peace

m
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
if there are more than 3 relatives to a bed on our ward i make them wait on the corridor, i dont think some people understand health and safety, they get turfed out of the dayroom if they are found in there, it is for patients only, even staff arent allowed to sit in there
uh oh, Flashy's turning into a little Hitler... seriously though... every time (3) I have been in Lancaster hosp there have been some folks, often more than one, with half a dozen or ore visitors round the bed and nothing was ever said. I felt like telling them to go and talk to the old lady across the ward who had no visitors.

Actually I had no room to talk - one day I had a lot more than three visitors, but Richard told me later I had not been expected to pull through...

Last edited by susie123; 12-11-2013 at 20:51.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 22:50   #26
Fra

Hospital TV is a rip-off, that is correct. However, think of our forefathers and the war wounded in past conflict. Choose not to buy the TV time, which is full of inane programmes and advertisement, but rather read a book that will make you appreciate modern medicine. We easily forget the lack of discomfort and pain endured in contemporary procedures, compared to the rudimentary and somewhat simplistic measures of the past. The extra pain that sufferers had to endure is now displaced by feelings of injustice caused by companies capitalizing on our misfortune. Be that as it may, we are still better off.
Fra is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..