Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013, 19:39   #1
Full Member+

Pay as you go NHS television rip off.

My son is in hospital having chemotherapy and has just paid 20 pounds to watch tv for three days in his room. He's stuck in hospital with not a lot of choice or be bored. The ward has a tv room with a knackered old tv and a video player with a video stuck inside it so not much choice there then. How can these private companies be allowed to feed off the sick? The people on that ward are seriously ill but that doesn't seem to matter to the greedy scumbags raking in the money. It just makes me so angry.
Old 06-11-2013, 23:41   #2

Re: Pay as you go NHS television rip off.

So sorry to hear your son is having chemo, will keep him in my thoughts that the chemo will help and that it isnt too harsh on him.

Got to agree on the tv thing, shocking how expensive it is. My dad was in Blackpool Victoria a year ago, they never told us how long he was going to be in, which made it difficult and the day he was coming home they kicked him off his bed into another part of the ward on his own and didn't transfer the tv for him. Apparently sick people are supposed to know how to do it themselves.
westendlass likes this.
xavtia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 00:05   #3
God Member

behind each bed at blackburn royal tehr eis an ethernet port which you can connect your laptop to and watch itv player.4od etc as well as surfing and emailing

my pal found this out shortly after spending 2 weeks trying to get their wi-fi code in the canteen without any luck

i was in a few weeks ago on a different ward and my bed also had the etherenet port behind it

they dont advertise the fact its there butthat may be becaus ethey are more busy looking after patients to show them the mod cons installed or it coudl be the pay as you go tv people dont lie it been mentioned

either way if he has a laptop hook it up with an etherent cable 2m shoudl be plenty

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:13   #4
God Member

our ward doesnt have tv's installed, we have a tv in he dayroom which was bought by the generosity of donations by former patients, accyman, you are not allowed to use the wards internet system, they stopped that when someone tried to hack into the system and look at patients notes.

westendlass, some of our patients bring in portable dvd players, kindles etc, might be worth borrowing one whilst he is in hospital
Old 07-11-2013, 08:53   #5
Full Member+

Thanks Flashy, he's in The Royal Preston at the moment. Last time he was in he took his computer / tablet with him but due to his constant tiredness he was worried about dropping it off the bed which is why he decided to have the tv this time instead. What a rip off though.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:19   #6
Senior Member+

My late wife spent three different periods of the weeks in Blackburn Hospital twice in a single room.
I paid for TV for her and visited on average twice a day.
I agree that it is a very expensive way to while away the hours, the only consolation was that she could phone home as often as she wanted on the TV system and that was included in the price.

The NHS put me in Fulwood Hall hospital two years ago when I had surgery on my back, that is a private hospital and TV and parking were free.
Ten days there was sheer luxury with personal room service.

Apart from that all the times my wife was in Blackburn B18 heart ward we could not fault the nurses and auxiliary staff.
The room was spotless and they always brought me a brew when I visited.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:22   #7
God Member

see if they sell the rubber cases for the tablet like they do for mobiles, that way if it falls it wont break

the cost of the tv's are crazy but like car parking in hospitals they are run through private firms and have nothing to do with the hospital itself, making money out of poorly people is sick in itself
Less, Eric, DaveinGermany and 1 others like this.
Old 07-11-2013, 14:23   #8
Resting In Peace

I recently spent eight weeks in Lancaster hosp and they installed patient wifi the day before I came home. I agree the pay tv is a rip off but a lot of older people like it as they don't have computers and at home they have a nice TV in the corner which is on all day. It must be annoying if you pay for a certain amount of time and are then moved or discharged.

I must say the nurses were fantastic and always seemed to have time to help patients sort out the TV. Is that one of the first things they teach you in your training, Flashy? (hope it's going well BTW).

Russell when I was in hosp recently I had a private room at first but I asked to be moved as I felt like a prisoner and started climbing the walls. I ended up on a five-bed ward where at least there were folk to talk to.

I send my best wishes to your son for his treatment and wish him well.
Up to this April I had radiotherapy at the Rosemere followed by eleven sessions of chemo at Lancaster where the oncology dept is very small and friendly and they have comfy reclining chairs instead of beds. Fortunately I was a day patient but I thought the ward I saw at Preston looked pretty grim, or maybe things are different now that they've opened the new bit of the Rosemere.
Old 07-11-2013, 16:26   #9
God Member

lol Susie, i wouldnt know how to work them, we dont have them on our ward
Old 07-11-2013, 17:20   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
My son is in hospital having chemotherapy and has just paid 20 pounds to watch tv for three days in his room. He's stuck in hospital with not a lot of choice or be bored. The ward has a tv room with a knackered old tv and a video player with a video stuck inside it so not much choice there then. How can these private companies be allowed to feed off the sick? The people on that ward are seriously ill but that doesn't seem to matter to the greedy scumbags raking in the money. It just makes me so angry.
When I was in hospital last year at this time 3 days TV was £10, you got 10 days for £20, to me it was a rip off then, to be honest if nobody bothered to pay these prices they would soon come down
Less likes this.
Old 07-11-2013, 17:25   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I recently spent eight weeks in Lancaster hosp and they installed patient wifi the day before I came home. I agree the pay tv is a rip off but a lot of older people like it as they don't have computers and at home they have a nice TV in the corner which is on all day. It must be annoying if you pay for a certain amount of time and are then moved or discharged.

I must say the nurses were fantastic and always seemed to have time to help patients sort out the TV. Is that one of the first things they teach you in your training, Flashy? (hope it's going well BTW).

Russell when I was in hosp recently I had a private room at first but I asked to be moved as I felt like a prisoner and started climbing the walls. I ended up on a five-bed ward where at least there were folk to talk to.

I send my best wishes to your son for his treatment and wish him well.
Up to this April I had radiotherapy at the Rosemere followed by eleven sessions of chemo at Lancaster where the oncology dept is very small and friendly and they have comfy reclining chairs instead of beds. Fortunately I was a day patient but I thought the ward I saw at Preston looked pretty grim, or maybe things are different now that they've opened the new bit of the Rosemere.
When I was moved Sue I had my time on the TV transferred to my next ward, and asked for a rebate when I was going home, they paid it back through my credit card account
Old 07-11-2013, 18:25   #12
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
When I was moved Sue I had my time on the TV transferred to my next ward, and asked for a rebate when I was going home, they paid it back through my credit card account
OK John, I wasn't aware of that, I didn't use the TV while I was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
lol Susie, i wouldnt know how to work them, we dont have them on our ward
Oh yes, you said so above. Don't know if the ward I was in at Lancaster had a day room, the ward was on a corridor split up into little rooms, 50 beds in all, and I couldn't get out of bed to investigate.
Old 07-11-2013, 18:50   #13
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Pay as you go NHS television rip off.

IF, people can be helped towards their recovery using tv or the internet , e.g. Keeping them in contact with friends/family; surely it should be a free service?
Or am I busy trying to justify yet another benefit for scroungers?

I would have thought on entering a Hospital, money should be the last thing needed to aid your recovery, where as, making sure you have something to make sure you have a chance of interest as you start to recover should be available to all.

In fact, consider someone terminally ill, no relatives, no money, a tv might just be the company they need during their last gasp.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 18:56   #14
God Member

less, there is always some greedy git somewhere trying to benefit from someone who is down on.their luck, the people who own these tv's dont give a toss about poorly people, unfortunately us people who work on wards take the flack for greedy baskets like that
Alan Varrechia likes this.
Old 07-11-2013, 19:18   #15
Senior Member+

Perhaps they could do a swap with the prisons, give patients free TV and charge criminals £10 a day.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..