Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sm_counsell

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013, 10:41   #1

Penny policies

I have just had a rather touching experience. I received a substantial cheque from Prudential for a penny policy taken out by my mum in the forties.
I had no idea about this until a couple of years ago when my brother received notification from the insurance company about a policy in his name. My mum must have stopped paying in years ago and there was certainly no paperwork among her things.
I said, 'touching' because she has been dead for over 17 years but has still managed to help me out once again!.
It seems that there is still quite a bit of money to be claimed on these policies so I thought I'd post this link for anyone who is interested. I know Prudential had lots of customers in Ossie and Accrington so perhaps some of you might be lucky.
As I said I had no paperwork so I just sent off my family details.
Good luck!

The policies that time forgot | This is Money
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-02-2013, 11:50   #2
I am Banned

Re: Penny policies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
I have just had a rather touching experience. I received a substantial cheque from Prudential for a penny policy taken out by my mum in the forties.
I had no idea about this until a couple of years ago when my brother received notification from the insurance company about a policy in his name. My mum must have stopped paying in years ago and there was certainly no paperwork among her things.
I said, 'touching' because she has been dead for over 17 years but has still managed to help me out once again!.
It seems that there is still quite a bit of money to be claimed on these policies so I thought I'd post this link for anyone who is interested. I know Prudential had lots of customers in Ossie and Accrington so perhaps some of you might be lucky.
As I said I had no paperwork so I just sent off my family details.
Good luck!
The policies that time forgot | This is Money
That newspaper article is near 13 years old, I remember when my mother died, my sister gave me an old policy, can't remember which firm it was now, but how do you go about searching for such things.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 13:31   #3
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
That newspaper article is near 13 years old, I remember when my mother died, my sister gave me an old policy, can't remember which firm it was now, but how do you go about searching for such things.
In the fifties and sixties my mum worked for the Pru and Blackburn Assurance, spent her days and nights traipsing round West End and Ossy collecting premiums for these policies. She would come home with a bag full of cash which we then had to count and my dad would enter it all in a big book for the company.
Old 05-02-2013, 15:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I remembered my mum had only Prudential so I sent of my parents details,my brothers, and mine including all known addresses.
Sorry I hadn't realised the article was so old!
Old 05-02-2013, 15:26   #5
God Member

And here I thought that we were going to discuss this:

Obituary: Canadian penny, 1858-2013 - Canada - CBC News

Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 17:14   #6
Resting in Peace

My dad had a few of these policies set up when he was young in the twenties, I know I have a couple set up my my mother somewhere, actually I'd forgot all about them until I've just read this tonight, think I take a look at my official papers and dig them out
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 19:48   #7
Senior Member+

Strange that this thread should arise, I have had the documents for a penny policy sat next to me for a year or so. The policy is with Refuge Assurance Company, Oxford Street, Manchester. Looks like I now have a project.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 20:03   #8
Resting In Peace

Even if the policies aren't worth anything, the documents might be, if they're attractive.

https://www.62days.com/magazine/feat...ance-policies/
Old 06-02-2013, 21:21   #9
Senior Member+

I have now read the documentation, and the penny policy was taken out in 1918, it was in my aunties name and she died in 1997, the policy was a fully paid up policy. I now have a claim form with regard to the policy, and as soon as I have some slack in my curriculum will send off all the required paperwork.

Last edited by davemac; 06-02-2013 at 21:29.
Old 07-02-2013, 16:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I have now read the documentation, and the penny policy was taken out in 1918, it was in my aunties name and she died in 1997, the policy was a fully paid up policy. I now have a claim form with regard to the policy, and as soon as I have some slack in my curriculum will send off all the required paperwork.
Can I take some credit for this Dave? A drink with Accywebbers next time I come home???
davemac likes this.
Old 07-02-2013, 18:39   #11
Senior Member+

I think you can take all the credit, as I had put it to one side thinking it had no worth, being a penny policy. I have other distractions at the moment, but will be addressing the matter towards the end of next week, United Friendly took over the Refuge Assurance Company so I have some documentation to forward to them first.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:37   #12

old lost penny policies to find out more do you just write to the company or are there forms you fill out
cephos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 13:09   #13
Beacon of light

From reading the thread it seems like if you have the name of the company, you send them your details and they will send you the forms.
Hope you are successful.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..