Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2004, 19:02   #1
Resident Waffler

Penny squashing macines

Refering to one of Kipax's photos of Blackpool posted today

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyStanFan
just offtopic a little bit, arnt them penny machines like befacing the queen?
I thought it was actually illegal to deface coins of the realm but there are machines like this all over the place aren't there?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-06-2004, 19:05   #2
God Member

Re: Penny squashing macines

First time I ever saw this one.. Must have walked past it a million times as well. certainly never seen one anywhere else.
Old 27-06-2004, 19:07   #3
Resident Waffler

I've seen one in SeaLife Centre and one in the Tower. I'm almost sure there was one in Scarborough when we went earlier this year. Can't remember where I've seen others.

Old 27-06-2004, 19:10   #4
Member.

Most of the popular museums and attritions have them now. My lads got about ten of them. Quite a cheep souvenir really…..lol
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2004, 19:42   #5
Senior Member+

Used the one at the tower.Now if it was Princess Annes face on it it would not matter.Owt must be an improvement on the one she has now LOL!
Old 27-06-2004, 19:47   #6
Accrington Web Mascot

I think they're a great idea - I always get one if there's a machine about. I first came across them at Disneyland a few years ago - but they're everywhere now.
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2004, 19:49   #7
Senior Member+

Aye but it say 10p on it and it should only be 9p because it screws my penny up as well
Old 27-06-2004, 20:55   #8
Senior Member+

ive always though it was illegal to like burn money so this is the same innit....Doug your sons goin prison
AccyStanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2004, 02:41   #9
Roy
Administrator

I do believe if you look closer on the machine there is some blurb that explains that the machine is not illegal. I can't remember the reasoning but it defo says something about it.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2004, 06:57   #10

I recall seeing bracelets made from the old silver thruppenny bits by drilling holes through them to link with a chain loop. When I asked someone about 40 years ago to drill a hole in a coin for me I was told it was High Treason! Maybe times have changed.
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2004, 08:56   #11
Resident Waffler

I must have a closer look at one of these machines next time I see one. I'm just a bit of a skinflint when it comes to spending 50p in order to demolish 1p. lol but you are right that it is a cheap souvenir when compared to other things.

Old 28-06-2004, 08:57   #12
Senior Member+

When i was an apprentice we used to make rings out of old bob coins, that would be a shilling to any young uns out there
Old 28-06-2004, 09:11   #13
Resident Waffler

How did you make them? Did one coin make one ring like a signet ring? At first I had visions of you drilling a big hole through the middle to put your finger through and then realised that didn't seem likely.

Then I thought I've seen the gold rings etc made with Krugerrands and sovereigns but they are in a sort of gem type setting which I presume doesn't affect the coin itself. Is that how you did them?

Old 28-06-2004, 09:23   #14
Senior Member+

Right then willow here goes.First you drill an 8 mm hole in the middle.That then goes on a jig and is tightened on with a nut.We then placed it in a lathe and turning the lathe slowly with our left hand we hammered away with an hammer lightly with our right hand.
When we had it formed we used a file while the lathe was moving to round it off.Polished it up with emery paper.
Next step was to place the ring in a collet and drill the hole to finger size,deburr it and bobs your uncle.We only used the old shilling pieces because they had a high silver content than the newer ones.
Old 28-06-2004, 10:28   #15
Resting in Peace

They have those m/c on Liverpool docks too
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..