Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-09-2003, 09:56   #1

Post Petition

Why doesnt someone organize ( preferably someone who has spare time on their hands ) a petition to send into the Observer regarding the sexual context along with ever so nice language that is used on the other site, 12 and 13 year old blatanly talking about issues which kids of that age shouldnt. What ever happened to playing marbles or conkers in the yard? Also along all the kids there is an older gentleman who posts on there, whats all that about?
Old 16-09-2003, 10:26   #2
I am Banned

Post Re: Petition

A petition is usualy given to someone who can do something about it.. The Observer can't do anything... No matter how many people sign it..

Theres no way they will admit to being wrong re: Warning against youngsters and the Internet one week then encouraging a 12 yr old to run a public messageboard the next..

The only person that can do anything is the boys parents ..They are being advised by a neighbour of theres who posts as Arkan. He has run his own messageboard for some time at http://www.horizonforums.com and is also the one that supplies them with there messageboard and hosting. They all live on the same street.

All the obsrver will do is print letters and they wont print any that makes them look stupid .  I agree with the whole issue of it being wrong for a 12 yr old to moderate a public forum. But the Observer can't do owt about it I am afraid
HarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2003, 11:23   #3
Caz
God Member

It's a nice thought Ruud, and i appreciate you showing your concern. but as Harry says a petition has to be directed at someone who is in a position to do something. As it stands, there isn't a law anywhere at the moment that says a parent can't allow his child to start up a forum, put himself at risk and also other children.

As Harry says the Observer doesn't usually admit an error. They only tend to do that if they have made a legal cock up, and risk being sued.

Keep watching the paper's letters page and see if they do.

The most we can do through them is send them as many emails and letters as possible, letting them know how strongly we feel about it. Should give them food for thought if nothing else.

Keep watching the paper's letters page and see if they do print anything.

Possibly a couple of people you have spotted on the forum are trying to prove a point?

Look at the posts from a different angle if you go back again.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2003, 12:23   #4
Resting in Peace

how about everyone sends the observer a e-mail showing there disgused at the same time say next thurs at 4pm ;D
if someone puts there e-mail address on here we can all do it at once
if nothing els it would keep them buzzy and think
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2003, 14:28   #5

Can't the police or Social Services intervene? the child is a minor and at risk, with the encouragement of his parents.
Nessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2003, 14:28   #6

I have just got through on Cazzers link again, no problem
Old 16-09-2003, 14:34   #7
Caz
God Member

Blimey! you can!
Must have realised they were going to lose new members then, cos nobody knew what the site was.  

- Oscar Wilde
Old 16-09-2003, 15:28   #8
Senior Member+

Oh come on Ruud, marbles or  Conkers.Losing connection with reality.Its a parent problem.Maybe the parents do not even really know what their child is up to.As to what is being said on there.Well if its not interesting for anybody why go on it.
In my experience all this will just make them more determined to carry on.Think back to when you all were children.When you was banned from doing something it just made it more exciting to do it.
Old 16-09-2003, 15:32   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Its a parent problem.Maybe the parents do not even really know what their child is up to
I should think there was a few clues when the Observer came round to his house and took pictures.  Or maybe his parents wernt home that day.. Nagh That would be silly.
HarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2003, 15:37   #10

Mik, if its a parent problem I would hate to see your kids
Old 16-09-2003, 15:51   #11
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

;D

Sorry Nessie, the police can't intervene, as there is no law against having a forum. Social services can only intervene when someone has actually harmed a child, or they deem the child to be at risk of harm. Unfortunately there are so many families, abusing and neglecting their children in this area, that Social services are snowed under. A web forum ran by a child is the least of their concerns ;D
I only hope they do not eventually have to become involved, as that would mean that somebody out there had hurt one of the members, which is what most of us are concerned about on here

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2003, 17:21   #12
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Oh come on Ruud, marbles or  Conkers.Losing connection with reality.Its a parent problem.Maybe the parents do not even really know what their child is up to.As to what is being said on there.Well if its not interesting for anybody why go on it.
In my experience all this will just make them more determined to carry on.Think back to when you all were children.When you was banned from doing something it just made it more exciting to do it.
You must not have been following the forum properly mik, or you would know what everyone else is on about, you would have checked all the links and posts refering to this, and would know all the details.

As said somewhere else, we're not just talking about a sly peek at a dirty mag. there are deeper issues here, like child safety, parental responsibility, moral responsibility of the local newspaper etc, etc.

I hope for your sake your kids don't get messed up in anything like this, and the things that have been known to result.

You said by the way that ruud was "losing connection with reality"

If we are talking about "being abusive", is that your opinion? Or do you think it's a fact?

You think it's OK to say that then?

Personally I think he's completely on the ball here.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 18-09-2003, 13:58   #13
Senior Member+

[quote author=Ruud link=board=general;num=1063706200;start=0#9 date=09/16/03 at 16:37:38]Mik, if its a parent problem I would hate to see your kids[/quote]
Well nothing wrong with my kids at all.Get complimented on their behaviour often.Actually i feel its a bit insulting as you have never met my kids.Jumping to conclusions again like a few other people on this website.You are the weakest link bye bye
Old 18-09-2003, 14:57   #14

Bye, why are you not returning again, cheers see you soon

Regards, Ruud
Old 18-09-2003, 15:48   #15
Junior Member+

[quote author=Mik_Dickinson link=board=general;num=1063706200;start=0#12 date=09/18/03 at 14:58:33]
Well nothing wrong with my kids at all.Get complimented on their behaviour often.Actually i feel its a bit insulting as you have never met my kids.Jumping to conclusions again like a few other people on this website.You are the weakest link bye bye[/quote]

now whos twisting peoples words?
flopsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..