Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009, 22:18   #1
Senior Member+

Petrol smell

Ok, my mum lives off Union Road in Ossy, has done for about 20 years, about 6 weeks ago she noticed a smell coming from her cellar, after Derekgas had eliminated it as being gas I went round and identified it as petrol. It is so strong that on occasion she has had to leave the house, she has to sleep with the windows open and is afraid to put a light on in case a spark ignites the lot. The smell is the same in her neighbours and has also been reported in properties on Badge Brow. United Utilities are investigating and have already flushed the drains out , I personally suspect the old petrol stataion that is now a carpark for Ossy mills. Anyone else got any suggestions or feedback on this? It's making my mum's ( and her neighbours lives) a misery. ( a neighbour did try to contact our glorious leader but he was "just going to a meeting" and hasn't rung back as yet.)
Old 04-09-2009, 23:43   #2

Re: Petrol smell

Try ringing Environmental Health (and also you could contact your mother's other ward councillor Brian Walmsley - his tel number is on HBC website as is our glorious leader's home tel number)
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 23:49   #3
God Member

start drilling , petrols worth more than gold these days

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 23:56   #4
God Member

Are we talking just across from the Palladium Linds? If so I would think you are on the right lines re the petrol smell, it is not long since that station closed down is it? Hope you get things sorted for you Mum and the neighbours peace of mind.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:32   #5
God Member

Ah! That is why your mum didnt ring back for me to return with my gas anyliser then, you figured out what it was, Im not sure my anyliser would detect petrol, but United Utilities would be able to, I am glad at least that you know what it is, I thought closed petrol stations were supposed to have the tanks cleaned or removed to prevent this??
Old 05-09-2009, 07:59   #6
Resting in Peace

This is whats left of the Garage on Blackburn Road
They have not removed any of the tanks yet though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gararge.jpg (265.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Gararge Blackburn Rd.jpg (291.3 KB, 26 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:39   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Try ringing Environmental Health (and also you could contact your mother's other ward councillor Brian Walmsley - his tel number is on HBC website as is our glorious leader's home tel number)
When you've done as much for Church as Peters done for Ossy then you can be sarcastic Joan
Old 05-09-2009, 10:36   #8
God Member

I'm thinking you should be calling the fire station for advice , Gasoline/petrol vapors can be dangerous , better to be talking to them now and not after an explosion
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:31   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
Ah! That is why your mum didnt ring back for me to return with my gas anyliser then, you figured out what it was, Im not sure my anyliser would detect petrol, but United Utilities would be able to, I am glad at least that you know what it is, I thought closed petrol stations were supposed to have the tanks cleaned or removed to prevent this??
they are supposed to be filled or removed, filled is cheaper if i remember correctly.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 19:07   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
When you've done as much for Church as Peters done for Ossy then you can be sarcastic Joan
Don't think she was being sarcastic to be honest, she sent me a very helpful pm, and this is yet another pathetic attempt by you to turn another thread into something political.
Have had Enviromental health out, and various other bods now, looks like it could be a big job if the petrol has got into the water course, wonder who will be responsible for that?
Old 05-09-2009, 19:10   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I would guess at Ossy Mills as they own the land I think.

I suppose it depends if they bought the land n the understanding the tanks had been emptied.
Old 05-09-2009, 20:35   #12
Senior Member+

United Utilities have had the traffic stopped in Union Rd and had the drain cover off to flush the main drain out, they are obviously treating it seriously . The air pipe things are still visible on what was the garage forecourt, my guess is it hasn't been emptied and the tanks have corroded.
Old 05-09-2009, 21:05   #13
God Member

Does`nt sound good..............keep us posted....
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:24   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Don't think she was being sarcastic to be honest, she sent me a very helpful pm, and this is yet another pathetic attempt by you to turn another thread into something political.
Have had Enviromental health out, and various other bods now, looks like it could be a big job if the petrol has got into the water course, wonder who will be responsible for that?
Wasn't me made it political, read Joans post
Old 06-09-2009, 09:33   #15
God Member

If I was in Ossylass's position I would be asking for priority rehousing on medical grounds.
It must feel like living next door to a ticking timebomb.
Does anyone here know the fire risks of a large tank of petrol vapour left neglected like this?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..