Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By Less
  • 1 Post By dotti34
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 3 Post By Big Joe
  • 1 Post By monkey hanger

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2018, 16:19   #1

Phew.!!!

Hi everyone ,I don't know if it's already been mentioned but I was wondering how you are coping with the hot weather.Has anyone got any good ideas for keeping cool?
boxermum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-07-2018, 16:33   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Phew.!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermum View Post
Hi everyone ,I don't know if it's already been mentioned but I was wondering how you are coping with the hot weather.Has anyone got any good ideas for keeping cool?
Yeah, wear expensive sunglasses https://www.igero.com/images/product...7-21829300.jpg
The latest Baseball cap at a jaunty angle and a England football T shirt, oh, and don't complain about the weather because it will be winter again before you can get ready to complain about it being too cold.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 16:42   #3

Ha-ha good un Less.I tried to convince hubby to get a hot tub for the garden,he says he refuses to upset the neighbours ,and anyway the sight of mein my bikini would make it rain.(ever felt unloved)
Old 08-07-2018, 19:57   #4
Full Member+

The schools will soon be on holiday for 6 weeks and it's bound to start raining then - so not much longer to suffer.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 21:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pifco View Post
The schools will soon be on holiday for 6 weeks and it's bound to start raining then - so not much longer to suffer.

Besides, it's Wimbledon!! Bring on Sir Cliff!!
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:16   #6

Cool Re: Phew.!!!

On a serious note,I've not heard anything on the news about the heat affecting anyone health wise.It is well known it can be dangerous for the elderly and small children,usually by now we would be hearing of cases of heat stroke,collapse,admission to hospital etc.
Don't get me wrong I'm happy we haven't had this but I do find it weird as in the past it has been a prominent news item.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:34   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
don't complain about the weather because it will be winter again before you can get ready to complain about it being too cold.
sick of the heat myself but it would be great to put some in a bottle for games at the wham come winter.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:41   #8
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Yeah, wear expensive sunglasses https://www.igero.com/images/product...7-21829300.jpg
The latest Baseball cap at a jaunty angle and a England football T shirt.
This guy seems to have the right idea!

Though to be really cool you wear them but, you've conned your mates into paying for them.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:50   #9

You think it’s hot! Well let tell you a few years ago when our friend from Clayton-le-Moors came to stay with us here in South Australia for a short holiday it was 45 degrees when he got off the plane!!!!! Was like that for days – now THAT’S hot.

Unfortunately it was just after some idiot had decided to park his car (well his dad’s as it turned out) along our front verandah using the house wall as a brake, and almost went right through into the house…...made a bit of a mess to put it mildly. Had gone through our neighbour’s front fence, past his garden, and then done a quick left taking out verandah posts, dividing fence, bricks from front of house and most importantly the new air-conditioner that was fitted in the window.

As we were unable to fit another air-conditioner until the front of the house had been fixed our friend had to put up with portable fans that didn’t cool the place much by then – and he didn’t complain once!!!!!!! I guess they breed ‘em tough in Clayton.
Jim Procter likes this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:46   #10
Beacon of light

We visited Oz many times and were in Melbourne when it was 45 degrees during the day and 37 degrees during the nights.
We got through it by sleeping with frosty bottles(large juice bottles filled will frozen water,
Damp nightwear....a cold neckerchief....boungth at the Carrera Market in QLD for two dollars.
Fans did not work, the just circulated hot air.
Sheets were put in the chest freezer in the garage, but even they did not remain cool for very long.
I am sure that over time your body does acclimatise a little, but hot is hot.
Gremlin likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 21:34   #11

Don't we love the weather.
Its too hot we want some rain (to clear the air of course)
It rains we want it sunny ( just to dry the ground )
We want a white Christmas ( like we had when we were kids ) but don't like the cold
The trick is acclimatisation. stay anywhere long enough and you get used to it.
We went to Oz a couple of years ago, June and July. Left this green and pleasant land to arrive in Oz in sunny Sydney in the middle of their winter to temps of 18 in the day and 11-13 in the evening. Now I live in the North East so to me those temperatures were practically tropical so shorts and t shirt it was and it was fine.
Old 19-07-2018, 09:35   #12
God Member

[QUOTE=Big Joe;1214944 Now I live in the North East so to me those temperatures were practically tropical so shorts and t shirt it was and it was fine.[/QUOTE]

remember when i moved from the north east some of my mates parents thought i was poor because i didn,t have an overcoat. did not need one for a year but certainly did after that.
Big Joe likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 20:02   #13

Monkey whats an overcoat???

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..