Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2004, 00:42   #46
mez
God Member

Re: Pilky Buses

ooo the time tables do they not realise some poor old dear may take x number of mins to get on the bus, excuse me / there was a traffic jam sir some pratt broke down 20 mins late time table shot to pieces
Accrington Web
Old 29-06-2004, 00:45   #47

Similar old dear waiting at the bus stop - bus arrives - she says to (possibly by now stressed out) driver "Do you realise you are 20 minutes late young man?"

Of course he ruddy well does! He's driving the thing!
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 00:48   #48
mez
God Member

up poor person, but thats life & the transport manager dosent look at it that way either so the poor driver is in for a telling off ( sorry got to put it nicely )
Old 29-06-2004, 00:55   #49

Did you see my suggestion on the previous page Mez?
Old 29-06-2004, 00:57   #50
mez
God Member

no sorry i didnt, been in chat room all nite he he , will have a look
Old 29-06-2004, 01:08   #51
mez
God Member

it was some yrs ago that we, my ex who had the o licence i was office staff, but could drive the vehicles anyway just would not take my test, personal reasons , but i do agree with most of wots been said on both sides only to riterate that the m. o. t. are very strict, with every reason to be, after all its the lives of the public that are at risk, there was & always will be a dispute among drivers & management,& management & the minestery of transport. i will not add my views futher to this as its been such a long time since i was involved with it, i may even be out of my depths now. thanks
Old 29-06-2004, 07:00   #52
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747
I experienced 4 months with a large bus company down south and if you were running late by 15 minutes, your lunch hour was reduced from 45 mins to 30 mins!! end of story! You still start the P.M. shift at the same time, How many workers would put up with that?
Wasn't one of the reasons according to the papers that Pilky's lost their licence for not keeping to the timetable accurately and doing some other buses out of passengers because they got to the stops before them?

On the Rossendale route I've been on buses which stop for a time at Rising Bridge if they are ahead of schedule. Seems like a case of heads you win tails I lose.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 09:48   #53

I drive the 464 route and it's mostly "tails you lose".The Rossendale buses are every 10 mins,we are every 30 mins and most often the one 10 mins in front of mine will run late and the one behind will chase my bus.If my takings are down due to this my boss will moan.If I arrive on the bus station more than 5mins before i'm due out the station inspector will book me if I arrive later there will be two Rossendale 464's on the stand and I take no passengers.
PILKYBUSDRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 13:31   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747
I have yet to see a double decker with wings lol
I thought a 747 was one.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 17:48   #55
Always EVIL within us

Excellent reply "yerself" Luv it!!!
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 21:44   #56

With regard to my earlier post, I was not blaming the drivers for Pilky,s demise only listing my only experiences. I am sure they were under pressure and as with all drivers lose it at times. As for the "nice man on the phone" quote, it is absolutely true. I was ripping when I put the phone down but could do nothing. If the bosses act like that there is no hope.

In reply to the Gobsmacked my driving was in no way at fault, with the bus in question exiting the bus station on to Blackburn Road without stopping and almost writing my car off. Had i not spotted it first I would surely have been hit. I did not swear, shout, make signals etc However the bus driver seemed to think it was my fault and thus shot me the v and said something savoury which I did not catch.

Perran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2004, 07:22   #57

I'm unsure of road priorities in that area. I know Peel Street and Blackburn Rd in front of the Town Hall/Market Hall are for buses only so I'm curious to know where you were coming from and where you were going. Who had right of way? I was standing on the corner one day by the video shop when some lunatic came bombing along from the roundabout like a bat out of hell and he shouldn't even have been on that road. Perhaps the driver mistook you for him. lol

There's no excuse for the way the boss spoke to you on the phone. Just think how different your opinion would have been if he'd been polite to you and promised to have a word with his driver(s).
Old 30-06-2004, 18:49   #58

if they've had their licence back before then i don't think they'll be off the road too long. If they do come back then i just hope they get rid of the old buses and get brand new, up to date ones. i have never felt unsafe though.. but i was on a Lancashire united bus the other week and it felt like it was gonna tip over every time it went round a bend, it felt so unsafe (it was a double decker but ive been on them before and they haven't been that bad)
Footynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2004, 19:26   #59
Accrington Web Mascot

My personal experiences of Pilky buses have always been good - the driver's have always been very polite and they're cheaper than other bus companies. The buses are not brand new but I have never felt unsafe either.
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2004, 21:01   #60
Resident Waffler

I can't imagine how much a brand new bus costs but it's probably way beyond what they could afford to have all new buses and still charge reasonable fares. When it was Accy transport they didn't run all brand new buses either did they? I'm sure there are older and newer ones in the fleet.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..