Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2004, 15:18   #1
Resident Waffler

Pilky Buses

I've just heard that Pilkington's have had their licence revoked which means that shortly there will be no Pilky buses running. Apart from the fact that all the drivers will be out of a job what about the bus routes (such as Fern Gore) where no other service operates?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-06-2004, 15:44   #2
God Member

Re: Pilky Buses

And so they should with their track record, the last inspection they had 15 out of 18 buses were unsafe, and an 81% mot failure rate, not accepted for any kind of transport Co.
What gets me though is they are allowed to finish their school contract, which lasts until 23rd july
It does say other company's are being lined up for the routes, might not be as cheap but will certainly be safer, i wouldn't fancy going down willows lane on a Pilky bus

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 18:48   #3
Resident Waffler

I suppose finishing the school contract has been permitted because no-one else could be found at short notice to fill the gap and children would be left unable to get to and from school.

Surely the buses which failed the MOT were taken off the road? I agree about the importance of safety. Just wondering what is now going to happen with the bus routes. It's a long steep walk up Ormerod Street. They go up and down Ormerod St with all its road humps which probably shakes a few things loose, not Willows Lane, and there are bus stops along the way up there.

Old 12-06-2004, 19:16   #4
Senior Member+

yep get on pilkys everyday and **** myself goin up and down dill hall.
AccyStanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 19:18   #5
Roy
Administrator

I'm certain we have been here before. Pilkys have had there license revoked before. Maybe 10 years ago or something like that, but they came back somehow...
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 19:25   #6
Senior Member+

was that when they were blue and red buses and then stagecoace came along?
Old 12-06-2004, 19:29   #7

Pilkys have never been blue and red, they where Corperation buses, far better than pilkys, but they had the plug pulled on them.

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 20:07   #8
Resident Waffler

Those were the good old days - ACT (Accrington Corporation Transport). You knew where you were with just one bus company plus the odd ones from Blackburn, Rossendale, Burnley etc.

Old 12-06-2004, 20:40   #9

I think it's disgusting that they are allowed to finish the school contracts. What price is a child lifes worth? Sure county hall could do something about it. Even if it means providing taxi's, mini buses etc. for the children that are doing their GCSE's, and giving the rest of the children an extended holiday. If it was my children i would rather them be under my feet and losing a few weeks of education, then risk going on unsafe transport. It makes my blood boil to think that children will be travelling on their buses. Luckily my children have a choice of bus operators (when they can't be bothered to walk), but i have always told them under no circumstances do they get on a pilky bus. You only need to be driving behind one to see what state they are in.
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 20:43   #10
Senior Member+

well ive went with pilkys for ages im not gonna stop because exactly what i thought has been comfirmed.
Old 12-06-2004, 20:49   #11
Resident Waffler

I presume that the buses which are being allowed to continue to run until the end of the school year will have had to be made roadworthy (ie the nuts and what have you tightened up on the wheels). It would be totally irresponsible of the authorities to allow unsafe buses back on the road, not to mention the legal implications. I saw a Pilky bus today with yellow things on its wheel nuts. Maybe they've been there before and I never noticed but maybe it was something the vehicle inspectorate have done. I've travelled on a lot of Pilky buses and never felt unsafe. There was one Blackburn Transport bus a few weeks ago and THAT was a bit dodgy. I was glad to get off that one.

Old 12-06-2004, 20:54   #12
Senior Member+

to bee honest its a bus, if it was a plane i wouldnt fly innit, im sure theyll tighten up the wheels but im not sure how "unsafe" a door is that dosnt warn yoo when its opening......or didnt i read that right?
Old 12-06-2004, 20:58   #13
Senior Member+

has anyone noticed where pilky garage is based near aldi there are people at the age of 14 working on the buses surely thats not right
Old 12-06-2004, 21:15   #14
Resident Waffler

Do you know for certain that they are 14? Are they doing mechanical work? It does seem very unlikely that a 14 year old would have the mechanical experience. But if they are only cleaning the buses then I see no problem with that from a safety point of view. How old does a person have to be before doing any work? I used to have a Saturday job when I was at school.

The open door thing does seem a bit petty when you bear in mind that not all that long ago buses didn't even have doors. Mind you, in those days they had a conductor who stood in the entrance when he wasn't collecting fares. It all started to go downhill when they brought out one man buses.

Old 12-06-2004, 21:17   #15
God Member

Quote:
there are people at the age of 14 working on the buses
There the mechanics

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..