Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2006, 22:25   #16
God Member

Re: Places of Historical Interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Boston USA
Really? That surprises me. Not for any particular reason other than I've never heard anyone say before that that is their favourite city. Paris, Barcelona ...... numerous cities but never Boston. What makes it your number 1 city?
Old 08-12-2006, 22:31   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
Really? That surprises me. Not for any particular reason other than I've never heard anyone say before that that is their favourite city. Paris, Barcelona ...... numerous cities but never Boston. What makes it your number 1 city?
No specific reason, just liked the feel of the place when I was there, mind you it was a long time ago so senility may be playing tricks. Probably is suprising given that I've been to New York, Paris and Barcelona.
Old 08-12-2006, 22:41   #18
God Member

Sorry Dave I'm a nosy git! What stands out though? The people? The architecture?
Old 08-12-2006, 22:58   #19
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
a old friend of mine of polish descent visited auschwitz many years ago, and brought back many books, not picture, of all the details etc of people and experiments,was very harrowing, this was early 70s, and he said at that time the strange thing was, he never saw a bird or one fly over the site,and speaking to people there they never did.it was a place i always wanted to visit,but those books changed my mind.funny the place i would love to go to,i have already been in 72, lourdes, but would love to return,one day i will,i worked their for a short time and with 1000s of sick people,many terminal i never met 1 who felt sorry for themself.was very nervous about working with them but it was absolutely great,best crack i ever had.
There where stories around at the end of the war that aircraft suffered dead air over an extensive area of the camps and that over flights always left pilot with a sense of evil and foreboding. I remember these stories and various comments where still circulating in the late 70s when I was over there.

I’m not sure I would want to visit such places today. These are places where evil triumphed over innocents and by being such in my mind they will always be a tangible sense of darkness there. I know we won the war and freed many thousands of people, but there can be few good deeds that would wipe clean the history of mans ability to commit untold deeds to his own.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 23:02   #20
God Member

Quote:
Sorry Dave I'm a nosy git! What stands out though? The people? The architecture?

I just remember it being a nice place lol. The people were very friendly but then I have found the further North you go in the States the friendlier they seem to be. ( Hope that doesn't offend any Accywebbers from Southern USA lol ). It seemed so much more laid back than anywhere else I have been in the States

I also found it an interesting place because of the historical links with us, even if I had to squirm when I went in to a musuem and at the end of a film show about the Boston Tea Party everyone cheered wildly at the defeat of the English
Old 08-12-2006, 23:08   #21
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
ermm I had my 10 yr old daughter in tow so I don't know. Only passed that way going to the zoo this time.
When I was in Berlin umpty million years ago the Kurfürstendamm was a posh shopping street with some outdoor cafes. What the heck is it now????!!!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 23:09   #22
God Member

That'll do for me Dave
Old 08-12-2006, 23:30   #23
God Member

as some of you may know i travel up and down the country on the train....lancaster interested me quite a bit, the dungeons in the castle museum are quite spooky, the museum of science and industry in manchester is good too, the national war museum in london and the national rail museum in york are good for kids just thought i'd bore you with that one
Old 08-12-2006, 23:32   #24
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
as some of you may know i travel up and down the country on the train....lancaster interested me quite a bit, the dungeons in the castle museum are quite spooky, the museum of science and industry in manchester is good too, the national war museum in london and the national rail museum in york are good for kids just thought i'd bore you with that one
Do you not drive?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 08-12-2006, 23:33   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Do you not drive?

nope, i'm too giddy to drive
Old 08-12-2006, 23:37   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
lancaster interested me quite a bit, the dungeons in the castle museum are quite spooky,
I'd actually like a look there. I was told they had a facial covering that would be perfect for keeping me quiet
Old 08-12-2006, 23:43   #27
God Member

Quote:
I'd actually like a look there. I was told they had a facial covering that would be perfect for keeping me quiet

no yee it aint big enough for your gob
Old 08-12-2006, 23:44   #28
God Member

I told them that!!!
Old 08-12-2006, 23:44   #29
Member.

Quote:

Yes they do, its called a Scolds Bridle and if you'd like I'll take you........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scold's%20Bridle%20col%20sm%20.jpg (6.3 KB, 3 views)

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 08-12-2006, 23:45   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Yes they do, its called a Scolds Bridle and if you'd like I'll take you........

take her and leave her there please

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..