Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2006, 18:24   #1
God Member

Places of Historical Interest

I've just been reading an amazing online blog written by a reporter who has visited Chernobyl to see first-hand the effects of the disaster. A harrowing but truly fascinating read.

With it's historical interest, Chernobyl would be a fascinating place to visit, although it obviously isn't without it's dangers. It probably wouldn't be everyones cup of tea for an historical tour, so were would you like to visit and why?

My personal choice would be Berlin. It looks such a beautiful city and seems to touch everyone who visits because of it's historical past.
Old 08-12-2006, 18:28   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Places of Historical Interest

I've always wanted to see Roslyn chapel near Edinburgh because of all its mysterious masonic and templar architecture and still haven't managed it. We finally got there one day last summer but it was closed.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 18:29   #3
Member.

I'd like to do the First World War Walks along the Western Front and the Cemeteries. I’d also like to visit every Church in the country along with all the Iron Age and post Roman Dark Age Celtic sites.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 19:44   #4

Auschwitz - just to see how low some of are fellow humans can sink to !! and to know there were just enough real good guys to stand up to em and say "no you don't"

Then to look round at what I've got and say " Aren't I lucky........."
mickmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 19:55   #5
God Member

Egypt has always been my main interest!!! dunno why but it's just one of those places.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 20:11   #6
Resting in peace

Quote:
,tinkerbelle,With it's historical interest, Chernobyl would be a fascinating place to visit
This 'historical' interest was created by a neuclear reactor going wrong, before that (I will bet you) no one outside Russia even knew where it was!
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 20:51   #7
God Member

Oh I know that Ianto.W. It's obviously more than unfortunate that the historical interest came about due to a terrible disaster. I feel the same about Auschwitz mentioned by Mickmc, I'd love to visit there too. You can call it a morbid curiosity but I'd like to believe my reasons for wanting to visit these places was for a better understanding.

Auschwitz and Berlin would give you an idea or a degree of understanding of the human misery these people had to endure. Chernobyl on the other hand would give you an idea that would probably be as close as it could be, to what it would be like to an apocalyptic disaster.

Last edited by Tinkerbelle; 08-12-2006 at 20:58. Reason: Didn't make sense ...... I know it still doesn't ;-)
Tinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 22:10   #8
God Member

Berlin is a strange place now. I went went the wall was up and returned in July this year. It seems to have lost some of it's character from an historical viewpoint yet the construction that has taken place since the wall came down has given it some amazing buildings.

Ironically most of the restored historical buildings are on what was the former East side so it was good to see them when I went in July. I didn't try climbing the wall to see them first time round, a bit spooky having guns trained on you while you are walking round.

Still the second favourite city I have been to though.
Old 08-12-2006, 22:14   #9
Resident Waffler

Is the Kü-damm still the same as it was lancsdave?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 22:15   #10
God Member

My dad when i was a kid used to drag me round church graveyards when we used to go for days out. He said that it was our history. He used to like reading the inscriptions on the graves.

I would like to go and visit Auschwitz as well. Its our history and its a cemetary as well. I'd love to go back in time and ask hitler why he did what he did.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 22:15   #11
God Member

Whats your first then Dave?
Old 08-12-2006, 22:15   #12
Senior Member+

i notice a lot of people are interested in places connected with the world wars
if you are interested in thes sort of sites i would seriously reccomend a visit to vimy ridge in normandy
i visited this place as a teenager and have yet to find anywhere as peaceful.
for those who dont know vimy ridge was a ww1 battlefield wher the combined allied trenches were in places literally a stones throw from the german trenches and were surrounded by minefields (some still active)
tunnels were dug under the trenches in the hope of attacking from behind
and you can still walk these tunnels
there are also many many fields of war graves from both sides all around the valley
there is also a museum and memorial of remebrance
a truly solemn yet enlightening place to visit
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 22:22   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Is the Kü-damm still the same as it was lancsdave?

ermm I had my 10 yr old daughter in tow so I don't know. Only passed that way going to the zoo this time.
Old 08-12-2006, 22:22   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
Whats your first then Dave?
Boston USA
Old 08-12-2006, 22:23   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

a old friend of mine of polish descent visited auschwitz many years ago, and brought back many books, not picture, of all the details etc of people and experiments,was very harrowing, this was early 70s, and he said at that time the strange thing was, he never saw a bird or one fly over the site,and speaking to people there they never did.it was a place i always wanted to visit,but those books changed my mind.funny the place i would love to go to,i have already been in 72, lourdes, but would love to return,one day i will,i worked their for a short time and with 1000s of sick people,many terminal i never met 1 who felt sorry for themself.was very nervous about working with them but it was absolutely great,best crack i ever had.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..