Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-08-2008, 22:19   #16
God Member

Re: Plane crash in Madrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I don't think low priority Royboy, when a tragedy such as this happens, our imagination runs amok and we all conceive being that relative at the receiving airport, and shed a tear in that image.

Do we know if any survivors as yet ?
Reports were saying approx two dozen survivors but on news at ten they said this number was dwindling with the increase of fatalities as so many of the survivors suffered serious burns

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-08-2008, 22:20   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
God bless to all those affected by this terrible tragedy...the dead, the survivors, the relatives, the crew, staff of the airline and airport...the pain is so far reaching.
As you know, I live in Spain. The people here are very aware of what has happened.....Black armbands are the norm. The Spanish people are very religious and nationalistic....having something like this to happen on Spanish soil is hurting everyone in Spain.
I feel very deeply for my neighbours.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 22:33   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
As you know, I live in Spain. The people here are very aware of what has happened.....Black armbands are the norm. The Spanish people are very religious and nationalistic....having something like this to happen on Spanish soil is hurting everyone in Spain.
I understand Royboy, and good that you have 'fused' with your new home and people there, but we are still human in the U.K. you know .. just the stiff upper lip thing sometimes. We are one of the most charitable countries in the world to other people's disasters.

Pleased give our sympathy to all your Spanish neighbours.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 23:28   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Of course I cannot know the hurt at the loss that may have been inflicted in the community.. a tragedy..I just don't want to imagine .
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 23:33   #20
white rabbits

My Deapest Sympathy To All Reletives,,,it Must Be Awfal...
Old 21-08-2008, 09:30   #21
Resting in Peace

Watching the news coverage this morning, it said ther were 19 survivors, but were all rather poorly, it appears that most of the passengers were going on holiday to the Canaries, what a tragidy for the families who thought their loved ones were of for a fun holiday and have now to idenify their bodies. R I P
Old 21-08-2008, 10:09   #22
Senior Member+

I spoke to my friend yesterday who was at madrid airport, she said it was horrible, proper chaos, she was supossed to take a flight back home but changed her mind and said she was gonna drive because she just coundt even think about flying.
My deepest simpathy to the families of everyone who was in that plane.
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 10:17   #23
Senior Member+

The black boxes have been recovered ..
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 13:10   #24
JFT96

Well lets hope they can figgure out what happened.
Some good information can be found here
AirDisaster.Com News: Spanair MD-82 crash in Madrid kills at least 153.
its more unbiased, than PPrune can be.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 13:30   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i heard those old planes were taken out of service in the USA, don't know how correct this info is but if true it certainly won't help the relatives of those poor souls.
Old 21-08-2008, 13:35   #26
God Member

Its just awful, really feel for the families of all the passengers and crew, I'd also heard that this type of plane had been taken out of service in America Cashy, no help I know to the victims of this crash.
Old 21-08-2008, 16:09   #27
Resting in Peace

It was saying on the news that there was a problem with a thermostat, but it was supposed to have been sorted prior to take off, somebody could be up for the high jump
Old 21-08-2008, 16:44   #28

Theres not much that can be said to help those hurting at the moment, but thoughts and well wishes to all
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 18:25   #29
JFT96

Sorry guys but the MD-80 is in service with both American Airlines, they have over 200 and Delta Airlines over 100.

Although the DC-9 family can trace it's root's back to the late 1960's, the MD-80 has only been in service since 1980, over 900 still in service and over 2000 of the DC-9 family, Boeing 737's are from the 60's as are 747's. Airbus have stuff nearly as old as well.

Europe, JAA ( shortly to be called EASA) are very stringent on their safety and checks, it the FAA had banned this aircraft you could be sure that the JAA would have followed suit.

It is very easy to come to conclusions when these things happen, but as a professional, I know that accidents are never one fault but a series of problems (a chain of events) cause these things.

The fact is this, commercial airliners fly all the time with things inop, we have a list called the Minimum Equipment List, this allows us to take off with all manner of things inop. You would be supprised and maybe a bit worried. The pilot's, who died, will not take off unless they think the aircraft is safe, end of.
I will wait to see the report as speculation helps no one.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 10:25   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Sorry guys but the MD-80 is in service with both American Airlines, they have over 200 and Delta Airlines over 100.

Although the DC-9 family can trace it's root's back to the late 1960's, the MD-80 has only been in service since 1980, over 900 still in service and over 2000 of the DC-9 family, Boeing 737's are from the 60's as are 747's. Airbus have stuff nearly as old as well.

Europe, JAA ( shortly to be called EASA) are very stringent on their safety and checks, it the FAA had banned this aircraft you could be sure that the JAA would have followed suit.

It is very easy to come to conclusions when these things happen, but as a professional, I know that accidents are never one fault but a series of problems (a chain of events) cause these things.

The fact is this, commercial airliners fly all the time with things inop, we have a list called the Minimum Equipment List, this allows us to take off with all manner of things inop. You would be supprised and maybe a bit worried. The pilot's, who died, will not take off unless they think the aircraft is safe, end of.
I will wait to see the report as speculation helps no one.
Its good to listen to somebody who, after all is at the sharp end when it comes to air travel, but as you said BG, pilots would't take off if they have any misgivings as not only are the passengers at risk, but so are they

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..