Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2008, 15:11   #1
Senior Member+

Please Mister

Don't know if this has happened to you,but since the government raised the age to 18 for buying cigerettes i seem to be getting pestered more & more by young kids(as young as 11/12 in some cases)to buy them fags when i go in my local shop(s).They even ask if i've one spare(what at these prices).Of course i refuse.Last week the wife went to the shop & when she refused was given a lot of abuse.Maybe they should ask their parents to go & buy their fags.Where they get the money from for cigs at todays prices i don't know.
Old 01-11-2008, 15:16   #2
God Member

Re: Please Mister

Not been asked to buy fags for youngsters but am always being asked by complete strangers if I can lend them a fag
Old 01-11-2008, 15:18   #3
Give, give, give member

Never been asked by youngsters to buy cigarettes for them, and I wouldn't.

I never used to give money to the beggars when I lived in London, though I would give them ciggies if they smoked.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 15:19   #4
Senior Member+

My fella got asked at the shop by some yongsters to buy them some fags, he refused and they gave him abuse, dont think he put up with it and would have given them a stern talking to (not that that will have stopped them askng the next adult who went into the shop)
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 15:35   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

always being tapped fer fags, or do i want to buy summat, usually around owd bobs area, when out with the dog, my stock answer cannot be printed on here.
Old 01-11-2008, 16:12   #6
Resting in Peace

'Fraid I fall soft Cashy and usually give them one, although in town centres when you have had to go out and sit on a form to have one ... another slight danger for us smokers .. women particularly.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 16:14   #7
God Member

With you on this Kate it is normally somebody intimidating asking but did draw the line when somebody asked me for a couple of quid a while back!!!
Old 01-11-2008, 16:19   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
With you on this Kate it is normally somebody intimidating asking but did draw the line when somebody asked me for a couple of quid a while back!!!

Mmm . yeh, would probably have refused money .. by saying my purse was empty. They can see you are smoking though, just can't bring myself to say have none left somehow, even offer them a light ..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 23:00   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Mmm . yeh, would probably have refused money .. by saying my purse was empty. They can see you are smoking though, just can't bring myself to say have none left somehow, even offer them a light ..
i cant bring meself to say i have none, i just tell em the truth.
Old 01-11-2008, 23:07   #10

I just used to lie and say i cant get served:-). made me laugh today, while at work 5youngsters came in looking at the prices of vodka and asking me for advice, my advice was simple and to the point come back in about 10years:-). i once lent my last ciggy to a prostitute in blackburn. on a similar note does anyone else keep getting approached by people trying to sell jewellery in and around accy town centre? has happened to me a few times lately.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 23:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
i once lent my last ciggy to a prostitute in blackburn. on a similar note does anyone else keep getting approached by people trying to sell jewellery
Strugglin' to see a similarity Speedy, perhaps you could enlighten
Old 01-11-2008, 23:46   #12

It made sense in my head:-). if i think about it long enough im sure i can find a connection between the two lol.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 23:49   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
It made sense in my head:-). if i think about it long enough im sure i can find a connection between the two lol.
Same here, it's getting a bit late
Old 02-11-2008, 00:15   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
...did draw the line when somebody asked me for a couple of quid a while back!!!
That happened to me a few months back. I felt guilty after making up an excuse because he'd been so polite, and hadn't caused the fuss I'd been expecting. So I went straight back out and told him I'd remembered we keep a couple of quid in the car for parking or trolleys.

He must have needed it desperately at the time. Since then he's spent £400 on photos.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:13   #15
God Member

There is a quick solution to this problem. You put a match in one cigarette beforehand and take note of where it is. Next time you are asked, give it to them and LEAVE SHARPISH. :P obviously don't offer them a light. They'll singe off their face and they'll never ask anyone again.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..