Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2007, 00:16   #16
white rabbits

Re: Please remeber to give 'a pittance of time'

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Tomorrow is very special, and it will be time to remember those that served, and are serving still.

My grandfather was killed in Normandy in 1944 aged twenty two. He left behind his widow, my granny, who was pregnant with my mum.

My mum and her dad never got to see each other, but I know they would/are proud of each other.
oh bless... give your mum my best wishes for tomorrow,,
Old 11-11-2007, 00:19   #17
God Member

Quote:
Tomorrow is very special, and it will be time to remember those that served, and are serving still.

My grandfather was killed in Normandy in 1944 aged twenty two. He left behind his widow, my granny, who was pregnant with my mum.

My mum and her dad never got to see each other, but I know they would/are proud of each other.
Must be extra poignant for your mum, we should never forget the sacrifices that have been made for us!!
Old 11-11-2007, 00:22   #18
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Must be extra poignant for your mum, we should never forget the sacrifices that have been made for us!!
The Ossy War Memorial is like her dad's grave, and she always places a wreath or a cross.

Something my brother and myself will continue to do.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 00:26   #19
God Member

Quote:
The Ossy War Memorial is like her dad's grave, and she always places a wreath or a cross.

Something my brother and myself will continue to do.
That is so sad don't think the young ones today realise just how many lifes have been touched!!
Old 11-11-2007, 09:55   #20
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Please remeber to give 'a pittance of time'

If my gardening plans work out, next year I will have my own poppy field in my garden in memory of my own father who was wounded several times in WWI and a prisoner during WWII.

Sadly on the 5th November 1948 he succumbed to his war years at just 52 years of age.

It would be nice if other people could set aside just a square yard of their gardens to sow some poppies. Not only would it be a permanent reminder of the fallen comrades in arms and not forgetting the civilians too, but would attract wild life to your garden.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dad775x1284.jpg (123.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 11-11-2007, 09:57   #21
God Member

Quote:

Yes very special here too & usually an emotional time, have grandad who survived WW2 was also a prisioner of war, died well after the war when i was very young & there is his father [my great grandad] whom was in WW1 & was gassed but died years later. So every year i give 2 mins of my time some years at their grave side tho will be paying them a special visit later with my cross.

Lest we never forget

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:18   #22
Resting in Peace

That video is very heart tearing .. just played it at 11 o'clock .. tears streaming down my face now.

Lucky enough not to lose any family during the two World Wars, father in the home guard in WW11.

Can only say thank you for protecting our freedom and your ultimate sacrifices to give us that .. x
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:44   #23
mez
God Member

"lest We Forget"
Old 11-11-2007, 11:51   #24
God Member

Absolute fantastic video and thought provoking but also uplifting song

thanks for finding it Glasgow Guy

lest we forget

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:00   #25
Resident Waffler

I wonder how many people, like that father in the video, disregard the two minutes silence and just carry on with their bustle of life. It surely isn't too much to ask for just 2 short minutes of respect.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:00   #26
God Member

Should never be too much trouble to pay your respects as would of been more trouble if these service people hadn't

I paid my respects to my fore-fathers yesterday even had time to stop at a grave of a soilder [in fact passed a few] & given him my poppy to grace his grave - shame i didnt have more so they all go one as were forgotten

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 15:57   #27
God Member

Quote:

That's a sad story, Garinda. There must be lots of others in a similar position too. We don't know the half of it do we?

I knew an old lady on our street who got married on the Saturday, her hubby went off to war on the Monday and never came home again. She never got over it, she never re-married or had children. Poor woman.
Old 13-11-2007, 15:50   #28
Yank in King Art's Court!

Just finished watching the video. It was very well done and heart-wrenching. How I wish more Americans would appreciate the sacrifices made by these veterans.

I keep writing so many thoughts here but erase them right off. Just alot of emotions coming over me. Heck, it's peanut butter and jelly time anyhoo!

Peace to All!

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..