Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2014, 15:15   #16
Full Member+

Re: Poisoned Swans

how cruel some people are
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-07-2014, 15:29   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
British geese attacked by British swans is ok, if they had been Canada geese the swans would have been arrested for racially motivated attacks.
I wonder what the geese did to upset the swans, I would guess they got to close you the cygnets.
It was attacking the goslings more than anything, chased the geese away then went for the babies. It had been happening all day from what I was told at the time. (post #8162 of the Today in pics thread (page 545)). Rarely seen the geese in the water since.
Quote:
No I didn't think you were excusing anything.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 16:48   #18
God Member

Quote:
if they had been Canada geese the swans would have been arrested for racially motivated attacks.
Never thought of us as a "race." And Canadians are a friendly bunch of folks There's even a group of Canadians down in London, filling in for your military ... Check out whose guarding the Palace this week.

But it's sad to see the helpless and trusting being victims of amoral assholes.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 19:28   #19
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Canadians are general good folk, just take your geese home please
Old 16-07-2014, 06:06   #20
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Never thought of us as a "race." And Canadians are a friendly bunch of folks There's even a group of Canadians down in London, filling in for your military ... Check out whose guarding the Palace this week.

But it's sad to see the helpless and trusting being victims of amoral assholes.
With so much land per person I'm amazed you ever have the chance to get together and breed this so called race. Do you have special meeting places where you all get together on occasions just to ensure the race continues?

Are these rituals anything like the breeding habits of the Moose?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 11:52   #21

Now in the national papers this morning along with large picture of dying bird
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 17:39   #22
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Re: Poisoned Swans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Now in the national papers this morning along with large picture of dying bird
Bloody hell don't you just hate it when newspaper cram what they think is edificational? Swan lake another repeat.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 14:10   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
With so much land per person I'm amazed you ever have the chance to get together and breed this so called race. Do you have special meeting places where you all get together on occasions just to ensure the race continues?

Are these rituals anything like the breeding habits of the Moose?
Whatever those moose are doing, they sure ain't breeding.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 14:58   #24
God Member

There is a lot of information on this site of The Swan Sanctuary - in the FAQ's section the following advice is given:

"There's a swan's nest in a really vulnerable location - what can be done?

If the nest is vulnerable to interference from human factors, such as on a tow-path or the bank of a pond where people walk their dogs, then you should contact your local council and ask them to erect protective fencing around the nest. If the nest is vulnerable to natural events such as high tides & floodwater then it should be left alone so that the swans can learn from the experience - if a young couple lose a nest under these circumstances then they will learn not to build a nest so low down the next year. Sad as it is, they have to be allowed to learn from natural experiences which is one reason why it is illegal to interfere with a swan's nest in any way."

I wonder if the nesting site in this case had been protected in any way - seems the council have some responsability for their protection....I expect that, like me, most people don't know this.

Lots more information on this site including the original Swan Law of Edward IV in 1482 which is still upheld to this day.

http://www.theswansanctuary.org.uk/index.php

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 18-07-2014 at 14:59. Reason: Adding link
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 20:14   #25
Senior Member+

There`s a new family of swans now taken over the territory and moved into the nest. Hope these get left alone.
Seems Neil may have got his wish, all the Canada Geese seem to have disappeared from the area, I haven`t seen any all week.

Last edited by gpick24; 18-07-2014 at 20:16.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 13:58   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
British geese attacked by British swans is ok, if they had been Canada geese the swans would have been arrested for racially motivated attacks.
I wonder what the geese did to upset the swans, I would guess they got to close you the cygnets.

No I didn't think you were excusing anything.
All mute swans will attack other waterbirds in the breeding season - some when they only have territory and are building the nest - some are worse than others (as with people) and will not tolerate other waterbirds - one I recall had a thing for a white mallard which it repeatedly attacked some will even attack people.

This is natural behavour and no excuse for any sicko to poison swans.
Restless likes this.

Last edited by kestrelx; 23-07-2014 at 14:07.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 18:24   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
There`s a new family of swans now taken over the territory and moved into the nest. Hope these get left alone.
Seems Neil may have got his wish, all the Canada Geese seem to have disappeared from the area, I haven`t seen any all week.

I arranged for them to be deported back to Canada so our English swans can enjoy their English canal
Old 23-07-2014, 20:01   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
There is a lot of information on this site of The Swan Sanctuary - in the FAQ's section the following advice is given:

"There's a swan's nest in a really vulnerable location - what can be done?

If the nest is vulnerable to interference from human factors, such as on a tow-path or the bank of a pond where people walk their dogs, then you should contact your local council and ask them to erect protective fencing around the nest. If the nest is vulnerable to natural events such as high tides & floodwater then it should be left alone so that the swans can learn from the experience - if a young couple lose a nest under these circumstances then they will learn not to build a nest so low down the next year. Sad as it is, they have to be allowed to learn from natural experiences which is one reason why it is illegal to interfere with a swan's nest in any way."

I wonder if the nesting site in this case had been protected in any way - seems the council have some responsability for their protection....I expect that, like me, most people don't know this.

Lots more information on this site including the original Swan Law of Edward IV in 1482 which is still upheld to this day.

The Swan Sanctuary, Shepperton (formerly Egham), UK
The local council wont even erect a fence round an open sewer here never mind a swans nest.
I have not been keeping up with this thread, I find it too upsetting thinking about the poor creatures.
Old 24-07-2014, 03:04   #29
God Member

isnt there a rule that only the queen can eat swan or is that corgis ?

if there is such a rule can we eat canadian swans if they come here looking for trouble or to back up the canadian geese or does our queen get didbs on them also through her ties to canada

ps:

to be a bit serious i think the queen only been allowed to eat swan is something to do with them been under her potection i hardly think she eats swan and besides shes way too old to catch one

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 10:09   #30

As far as I'm aware, the queen owns all the swans in the UK. She even employs someone to look after the ones on the Thames.

Incidentally, she also owns all the whales and sturgeon in British waters or on British soil.

In reality, she is unlikely to get upset about someone poisoning her Accrington swans: She declared "no interest" in a monster sturgeon caught a few years ago.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..