Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2003, 06:27   #1

Post Police permission?

After shopping in Asda this morning I decided to fill up with petrol while I was there. There was a notice above the pump saying you weren't allowed to fill cans with petrol without the permission of the police. Bad enough running out of petrol, but to get to the filling station and find you need police permission to fill a can with petrol would be the last straw. How many policemen do you see on the streets? are you supposed to go to the nearest police station or phone them up?
Nessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-12-2003, 08:16   #2
Senior Member+

Post Re: Police permission?

I think they must be expecting a terrorist attack nessie. Asking the police is just plain daft, if someone wanted petrol i am quite sure that he/she would just syphon it off  from somewhere else. ???
Old 06-12-2003, 09:57   #3
Senior Member+

Stupid ruling if you ask me
Old 08-12-2003, 10:25   #4
adi

Sounds as though this has been rushed through without any real thought.

Agree with Janet that they may be expecting a terrorist attack and trying to reduce the possibility but it's not the answer really.

adi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 11:26   #5
God Member

I think it's a combination of a several things:

1) People storing petrol at home - why would they want to do that? Maybe make Molotov Cocktails..(Don't rule that out in today's climate).....maybe as an accelerant for their BBQ's...whatever, it's certainly a domestic H & S issue..

2) Sticking a jerrycan of Petrol in the boot of your car is not a good idea either.

Basically, I cannot see any rational or legal reason why people would want to buy petrol in a can.....can you get high from sniffing it? So I don't see what the problem is!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 16:34   #6
Senior Member+

[quote author=Tealeaf link=board=general;num=1070699241;start=0#4 date=12/08/03 at 13:26:43]I think it's a combination of a several things:

2) Sticking a jerrycan of

I resent that name.It shopuld be a Jerrypan cause after living in both countries i know where the **** is
Old 08-12-2003, 17:19   #7

Two groups of people I can think of offhand Tealeaf.
1. Someone who had genuinely run out of petroland were stranded.
2. Those people who own a petrol driven lawn mower.

I know people shouldn't drive if they are low on petrol. But it happens and they can't make it to the filling station in the car. Then you need to buy petrol in a can for your lawn mower, you wouldn't suggest taking it to the filling station to fill up wouldf you?
Nessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 07:41   #8
God Member

Well, Nessie - I can accept 2 and I guess that some people also have generators & it don't make sense to deliver by tanker such small amounts.

However, last time I looked in a motor car there was a little dial there which indicated how much petrol was in the tank. Don't they have those anymore?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..