Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-05-2008, 01:48   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Police Probe Vote Rigging Complaints

well like i said

depends who complained about whom...

if i complained against u - they wudnt automatically investigate me just u
Old 30-05-2008, 02:01   #32
God Member

Fair comment, just don't see the need for all this skullduggery in a small town like this and it makes me even more wary about general elections. As for the letters to the Observer nobody can excuse writing a letter and signing somebody elses name to it.
Old 30-05-2008, 02:09   #33
Senior Member+

no thats well out of order.

u can critisize all u want in the pamphlets u hand out for the party but all this subvert stuff is one step too far i think

i think next time we have elections we should have UN election peacekeepers
Old 30-05-2008, 09:24   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
The Observer had been printing a series of unusual pro-Tory letters. Mrs Stuart was one. I rang her personally to ask why she had written the letter. I actually was tipped off in advance that a hard line Tory supporter had written it.

Mrs Stuart is 76. She told me she had never written a letter to a newspaper, didn't buy the Observer and was shocked someone had misused her name. She said no other Stuart had lived on Whalley Rd in years, and only one or two lived in Clayton. She thanked me for letting her know.

She would never write about Wheelie Bins and her garden waste because she has a small flagged back yard on Whalley Road and had no need. She said I should raise the matter on her behalf.

I understand the Ob rang, realised they had been duped and offered an apology this week.

Two more letters are under scrutiny. People who deceive others ought to know I will persue these matters in the cause of a great british tradition, fair play and honesty.
To be quite honest I can't see any point in doing this at all, I have always said about letter writing to the press, and it also applies to people who withhold their names, if you have anything to say, say it and if you're not prepared to put your name to it its not worth a light. When you write letters especially with a political theme you're putting you head above the parapet, and if you're not prepared to be shot at don't write in the first place.
Old 30-05-2008, 09:34   #35
Resting in Peace

I actually think that the time to comment on this matter is when the police investigation is complete. I actually seem to agree with Mani on this matter to a certain extent and Mani probably has a better insight as to what goes on in Central Ward than most, as he lives there
Ho and by the way I am not totally insensitive, I'm sorry to hear about your sad lose Graham, things like that come way above politics.
Old 30-05-2008, 11:04   #36
Senior Member+

as everyone knows i warned about this before the elections, g jones has spoken to me privately about this as he wanted to check it wasnt done on his behalf and to check that it was dealt with...
I dont know g jones but from what i have seen on here he is honest about the way he has voted even if we will not agree, tbh he could lie about it and we wouldnt know... he could have shrugged my report of vote rigging off but he didnt...from what i have seen he makes an effort to find out why people arent happy like calling the lady that supposedly wrote the letter....i have lived here nearly a year now and g jones is the only mp i know anything about

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 11:18   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
as everyone knows i warned about this before the elections, g jones has spoken to me privately about this as he wanted to check it wasnt done on his behalf and to check that it was dealt with...
I dont know g jones but from what i have seen on here he is honest about the way he has voted even if we will not agree, tbh he could lie about it and we wouldnt know... he could have shrugged my report of vote rigging off but he didnt...from what i have seen he makes an effort to find out why people arent happy like calling the lady that supposedly wrote the letter....i have lived here nearly a year now and g jones is the only mp i know anything about
I'm sure Graham will be pleasd you've promoted him to MP ema
Old 30-05-2008, 11:19   #38
Senior Member+

i dont know do i? dont know the faintest thing about politics! all i know is ive heard of him..... and i havent had enough coffee today and my brain isnt functioning

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 30-05-2008, 19:26   #39
Give, give, give member

Quote:
He's a councillor Emma, and leader of the Labour group on Hyndburn Borough Council.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 19:29   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
He's a councillor Emma, and leader of the Labour group on Hyndburn Borough Council.
I shall plead ignorance! absolutely no idea what the difference is

Old 30-05-2008, 19:29   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'm sure Graham will be pleasd you've promoted him to MP ema
That's a demotion J surely............

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 19:32   #42
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I shall plead ignorance! absolutely no idea what the difference is
He deals with local issues, and not local and national ones.

Plus, unlike M.P.s councillors don't get paid a salary, just expenses.

Old 30-05-2008, 20:43   #43
God Member

I thought they got paid too. Just nowhere near as much.
Old 31-05-2008, 00:13   #44
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I thought they got paid too. Just nowhere near as much.
A VOTE to increase councillor's expenses sparked cries of disgust from the public gallery at Accrington Town Hall on Tuesday, during a Cabinet meeting.

Labour members had tabled an amendment which would have scrapped an estimated £5,000 rise in the allowance for council leader, Councillor Peter Britcliffe but this was defeated.

His basic allowance has jumped from £17,032 to £19,842, but he is also allowed to claim allowances for more than one special responsibility, which has led to the extra £5,000 he can claim.

This equates to a whopping pay increase of around 20 per cent.

http://www.accringtonobserver.co.uk/...ouncil_chamber

A case of let them eat cake...if they can afford it, whilst I enjoy living of the fat of the land.

Old 31-05-2008, 02:12   #45
God Member

Wait so hes only getting £20k for a full time hard job of running the council?

And an allowance is salary right? or am I missing something.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..