Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-05-2013, 22:03   #46
God Member

Re: police speed checks m65

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Like I mentioned, you cross into Germany from any border crossing & there's a big sign advising you of the speed limits on specific roads, Autobahns 130 kmh. As I also pointed out it's pretty much a free hand (or should that be foot?) as long as you're safe & sensible.

Sticking to restrictions were applicable, then getting the boot down when you can, all happy bunnies (except the tree hugging enviro-mentalists! Still when are they ever happy?). Folks getting to & from, work, play or whatever all at reasonable speeds & time.
BBC News - Autobahn speed limits: Germany's love of the fast lane

this seems to suggest otherwise...

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

Last edited by Neil; 17-05-2013 at 09:05. Reason: fix quote
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-05-2013, 22:58   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Like I mentioned, you cross into Germany from any border crossing & there's a big sign advising you of the speed limits on specific roads, Autobahns 130 kmh. As I also pointed out it's pretty much a free hand (or should that be foot?) as long as you're safe & sensible.

Sticking to restrictions were applicable, then getting the boot down when you can, all happy bunnies (except the tree hugging enviro-mentalists! Still when are they ever happy?). Folks getting to & from, work, play or whatever all at reasonable speeds & time.
Seem to remember a pretty strict max/min limit on one particular section of Autobahn - lovely sightseeing on the road to Berlin - all the T34s etc with brewer's droop
Old 16-05-2013, 23:19   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
lol so over here speed is stigmatised and over in germany its a human right lol

maybe something to staying in the EU after all ..

JOKING

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by Neil; 17-05-2013 at 09:06. Reason: fix quote
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 08:06   #49
Resting in Peace

I can remember watching a car go flying past the front window of the Coach and Horses pub on Haslingden Old Road, ended up wedged in a tree next to the barn, the driver lost control taking the double bends just before the pub, hit the kerb and took off, the driver walked away with hardly a scratch, one lucky chap
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 08:11   #50
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I can remember watching a car go flying past the front window of the Coach and Horses pub on Haslingden Old Road, ended up wedged in a tree next to the barn, the driver lost control taking the double bends just before the pub, hit the kerb and took off, the driver walked away with hardly a scratch, one lucky chap
That sounds very familiar, except I landed on top of the barn upside down.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 08:44   #51
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiasfc View Post
I do agree with you but the problem is modern cars are far more advanced then when the limit was introduced so you can get upto 80 without even knowing. My first car was a 1993 corsa you got that to 70 you knew about it. I now drive a 58 plate vauxhall van at work (same size as standard transit) and it gets upto 80 and feels no difference then going 40. Plus modern cars stop allot quicker I think its time they upped the limit personally.
I agree about upping the limit and that cars go and stop better but we have an aweful lot of idiots on the roads that are terrible drivers.

I have just spent 3 days down south working and they are terrible drivers. On the M1 coming back north, its 4 lanes and a young lady was sat in lane 3 for about 5 miles. She was doing about 70 but she never once changed lane even though there was nothing in lanes 1 and 2 and cars were backing up behind her to get past. I was sat behind her in lane 1 laughing at her
Old 17-05-2013, 08:48   #52
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Been discussing on another web site about parking, in as much as parking on double yellow and even within school zones, usually by people who drive 4 x 4s doing the school run, something which didn't exist when I went to school
The 4x4 comment is rubbish. It's any type of vehicle including taxis stopping wherever they want because no one is ever around to stop them doing it. What annoys me most is traffic lights meaning nothing and bad parking blocking the road and footpath for motorists and pedestrians.

I had a heated discussion with a Police man the other week because he had parked on the yellow zig zags outside a school at school closing time
Old 17-05-2013, 08:51   #53
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
speed cameras in built up areas or outside schools and hospitals etc i agree with but theres a hell of a lot of cameras that are set in places deliberatly to sneakily catch a motorist unawares.

i did meet a nice copper one time on the motorway he had stopped me to inform me that i was touching 99mph and that if it had been busy on the road he woulda done me but because it was late and no traffic he would let me off with a verbal warning.Its a pitty a lot more coppers dont have the same shred of integrity and common sense this copper did
A couple of months back I was doing well over 90mph on the M65 at about 4.30am on my way home from nights. I was in full auto pilot mode and didn't notice a car catching me up. He pulled level with me and that was when I spotted he was a police car. He waved with a slow down type wave then he put his foot down and sped off
Old 17-05-2013, 09:00   #54
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
my beef has always been that we don't have variable speed limits, at rush hour on an icy sleeting Feb morning 50 is probably right for motorways, at 5am on a beautiful summer morning 120 would be equally safe.
We do have variable speed limits but they are mainly down south because southerners crash into each other for fun (they crash into each other in Blackburn as well but thats for the insurance money)

I was sat at 50mph on the M1 yesterday morning for no reason at all. It was a lovely morning perfect for driving. 4 lane motorway with very little traffic and we were stuck at 50mph for miles. The problem with variable speed on motorways with lots of camera behind the variable sign is those without and possible even those with cruise control are spending too much time looking at the speedometer and not the road.
Old 17-05-2013, 09:49   #55
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Well it weren't thee, the Barn has the same (or had) the same roof level of the pub
Old 17-05-2013, 09:50   #56
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The 4x4 comment is rubbish. It's any type of vehicle including taxis stopping wherever they want because no one is ever around to stop them doing it. What annoys me most is traffic lights meaning nothing and bad parking blocking the road and footpath for motorists and pedestrians.

I had a heated discussion with a Police man the other week because he had parked on the yellow zig zags outside a school at school closing time
What type of 4 x 4 do you have Neil
Old 17-05-2013, 09:59   #57
Senior Member+

Quote:
Well it weren't thee, the Barn has the same (or had) the same roof level of the pub
Was about level with road when I landed on it. Went too fast round the bend, caught the kerb, car flipped over, wnet through a wall and landed on the barn roof. Novemberish 1990. One hell of a white knuckle ride.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 10:15   #58
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
i was going to say "jesus christ"

but he probbably wasnt there

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 14:02   #59
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
What type of 4 x 4 do you have Neil
I don't, I still have the same car I have had for 6 years with 276,000 miles on the clock. It's getting a little tired now but just did the 450 mile drive to Hertfordshire and back with a bit of driving around down there. It just sits on the motorway all day long doing anything upto getting a ban speed without complaining.
Old 17-05-2013, 14:03   #60
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i was going to say "jesus christ"

but he probbably wasnt there
Maybe he was and was having a little fun flipping him over

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..