Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-05-2013, 07:34   #106
Senior Member+

Re: police speed checks m65

[QUOTE=Neil;1059603]....Its not always about getting somewhere faster, its about having a little fun.
[QUOTE]
That`s what track days are for.

Last edited by Neil; 20-05-2013 at 08:20. Reason: fix quote
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-05-2013, 08:26   #107
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
....Its not always about getting somewhere faster, its about having a little fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
That`s what track days are for.
Perhaps he was in a rush to get to the track to have some fun?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 08:38   #108
God Member

Quote:
Yeah but he had much more fun thrashing the spuds of his car. Its not always about getting somewhere faster, its about having a little fun.

It sounds like he was only playing or driving like a pussy and should have been passing more cars.
Was this your favourite childhood reading?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 08:40   #109

Quote:
Yeah but he had much more fun thrashing the spuds of his car. Its not always about getting somewhere faster, its about having a little fun.
Try telling that to the guy who had to brake harder because his safety space was invaded by someone having fun.

Seriously - you're suggesting that the roads are there for entertainment?

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 08:45   #110
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Try telling that to the guy who had to brake harder because his safety space was invaded by someone having fun.

Life in general is here for our entertainment including this forum
cashman likes this.
Old 20-05-2013, 08:48   #111
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Life in general is here for our entertainment including this forum
Pity some can't grasp the fact, some run away saying "nasty people" n such things,ring any bells? it does wi me.
Old 20-05-2013, 08:54   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post

Equally as bad as a speeding driver is the self righteous driver.

I ended up refusing to travel with a work colleague because he was a danger to all.
He would travel at 45 in the middle lane watching his mirrors, anyone he considered to be 'speeding' in the outside lane would be treated to a well timed (according to him) drift without indicating, towards that lane causing the other driver to brake hard and often have to swerve towards the lane we were in, as the poor victim was taking emergency action he would then drift in the opposite direction causing the driver to once again have to avoid him.

The nearer the unsuspecting driver came to a collision with say the middle barrier or another car the more this guy would smile and shout in a self satisfied voice, 'That'll teach him, no-one speeds past me if I can help it'.

No doubt he is still doing it and is still thinking of himself as a mobile traffic calmer, the rest of us just called him a stupid inconsiderate fool.

Last edited by Less; 20-05-2013 at 08:57.
Old 20-05-2013, 09:00   #113
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I don't hear many people using the term overtaking lane these days, I usually hear it referred to as the outside lane and people tend to number them 1 2 3 4 5 etc.

I know anything pulling a trailer can't go in the outside lane but I still often see cars with trailers in the outside lane. Is there a weight limit as well as no trailers allowed in the outside lane?
I did saw it was the 70s Neil, even then you couldn't undertake anybody on the inside, there were usually only 3 lanes in those days, only 2 on part of the M5, but HGV and cars with trailers were also excluded from what was known as the overtaking lane, 3rd lane, that included caravans too, I think car towing a caravan were also limited to 50mph
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 11:07   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Equally as bad as a speeding driver is the self righteous driver.

I ended up refusing to travel with a work colleague because he was a danger to all.
He would travel at 45 in the middle lane...
I remember seeing one of those Police Camera type programs, and there was an "advanced motorist" sitting in lane 3 at 70mph. The police pulled him over and booked him even though his defence was "I was driving at the speed limit - nobody should need to overtake me because they would be the ones breaking the law"

He got a fixed penalty as far as I recall - on the basis that traffic management is not his responsibility. Your ex-colleague sounds more dangerous than that, though.

I'm entitled to be a bit self-rightoeus about people who drive too fast. Last week I slowed to a stop behind a car waiting to turn right. The car behind skidded to jogging pace and used my car to finish his braking manoeuvre.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 12:38   #115
Senior Member+

Nothing self righteous about asking drivers to take responsibilty for their own actions.
Old 20-05-2013, 14:07   #116

police speed checks m65

Quote:
Nothing self righteous about asking drivers to take responsibilty for their own actions.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking drivers to take responsibilities for THEIR actions, you speed you get booked, don't complain.
THERE is something self righteous about an idiot that gets pleasure from putting folk in danger, he is far worse than anyone that breaks the speed limit.
Or would you like to come back with some sort of response that he was acting in a responsible manner and entitled to do what he did?

We can only drive one car at a time, drive yours to keep yourself safe, don't try to correct the rest of the traffic!
Old 20-05-2013, 14:09   #117
Senior Member+

Quote:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking drivers to take responsibilities for THEIR actions, you speed you get booked, don't complain.
THERE is something self righteous about an idiot that gets pleasure from putting folk in danger, he is far worse than anyone that breaks the speed limit.
Or would you like to come back with some sort of response that he was acting in a responsible manner and entitled to do what he did?

We can only drive one car at a time, drive yours to keep yourself safe, don't try to correct the rest of the traffic!
There is no excuse for what he was doing, and I don`t blame you for refusing to travel with him, sounds a right tool.
Old 20-05-2013, 14:11   #118

police speed checks m65

Quote:
There is no excuse for what he was doing, and I don`t blame you for refusing to travel with him, sounds a right tool.
Yes, perhaps you're related?
accyman likes this.
Old 20-05-2013, 14:15   #119
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yes, perhaps you're related?
Maybe, what`s his name.
Old 20-05-2013, 14:20   #120
God Member

have you two considered marrage its legal now

im sorry lol but just as it seems teh waters have smoothed less chucks a boulder in the pond lmao

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..