Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-03-2013, 19:42   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: Pope Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Hardly surprising, he is Argentinian.
I know yerself, sometimes I wish church people would keep out of politics, think they might have enough work to do putting their own houses in order than keep poking there noses into politics
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-03-2013, 19:44   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Well as Argentina never actually occupied the Islands first,twas the french.he should stick to being a Catholic.
Old 14-03-2013, 21:44   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Just read on a news feed that he is a keen supporter of Argentina's stance on the Falkland Islands, that could be fun
well if he wants to stand on the falklands shore and wait for our troops im sure one of our lads will make sure he is more holy than thou

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 07:47   #49
JCB

Quote:
I know yerself, sometimes I wish church people would keep out of politics, think they might have enough work to do putting their own houses in order than keep poking there noses into politics
What do you mean by "church people" and "politics" , Jaysay ?
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 08:20   #50
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
It's similar to mentioning Jaysay and MENSA in the same sentence, it should be condemned as the prattling's of an unstable mind!

cashman likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 09:11   #51
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Politics and religion shouldn't mix if it didn't their would be less trouble in the world, or maybe no trouble at all
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 15-03-2013, 09:14   #52
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Politics and religion shouldn't mix if it didn't their would be less trouble in the world, or maybe no trouble at all
Ah, that sort of 'Church people', I thought you were having a go at 'Church People'.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 09:44   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Ah, that sort of 'Church people', I thought you were having a go at 'Church People'.
No only Tealeaf Less
Old 15-03-2013, 12:15   #54
JCB

Quote:
It depends what you mean by "politics" and "religion" .
At their best they can mix well .

For example , William Wilberforce was a politician whose conversion to evangelical Anglicanism led him to head the parliamentary campaign against the British slave trade .

Also , Martin Luther King , a prominent Baptist minister , played a leading role in the American civil rights movement using non-violent civil disobedience .

On the other hand there was the mix of "religion" and "politics" in Northern Ireland which was , on the whole , a disaster .

But even there there was the Catholic M.P. , John Hume , a recipient of the Gandhi Peace Prize and the Martin Luther King Award , who was one of the architects of the Northern Ireland peace process .

Also , David Trimble M.P. , a prominent member of the Protestant Orange Order and leader of the UUP , played a key role in the negotiations that led to the Good Friday Agreement .

John Hume and David Trimble went on to be co-recipients of the Nobel Peace Prize .
Old 15-03-2013, 22:56   #55

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Aahh the Catholic Church..of which I'm thankfully a lapsed member.

Pope Frank accused of leaving his mates to be tortured by the junta in Argentina in the 70's and now listening to an interview on BBC 5live where Cardinal Wilfred Napier (allegedly a front runner for this papacy) is claiming that paedophilia is not a criminal activity....would have been fun if he'd been elected.
Old 16-03-2013, 09:50   #56
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Aahh the Catholic Church..of which I'm thankfully a lapsed member.

Pope Frank accused of leaving his mates to be tortured by the junta in Argentina in the 70's and now listening to an interview on BBC 5live where Cardinal Wilfred Napier (allegedly a front runner for this papacy) is claiming that paedophilia is not a criminal activity....would have been fun if he'd been elected.
Umm
Old 16-03-2013, 12:47   #57
JCB

Quote:

Pope Frank accused of leaving his mates to be tortured by the junta in Argentina in the 70's
"accused"

But shush , Archbishop Bergoglio as a "church man" hadn't to get involved in politics even if the accusations for which I see no evidence happen to be true .
Old 16-03-2013, 19:01   #58
JCB

Quote:

Pope Frank accused of leaving his mates to be tortured by the junta in Argentina in the 70's
The incident referred to took place before Pope Francis was a bishop . It was during his time as the Jesuit Provincial of members of the Society of Jesus in Argentina .

Two members of the Society of Jesus were abducted in 1976 by Argentina's military government which was suspicious of their work among slum-dwellers .

Sergio Rubin is an author who , based on two years of conversation with Pope Francis , then Cardinal Bergoglio , Archbishop of Buenos Aires , wrote a book about him .

Sergio Rubin has said that Pope Francis " took extraordinary , behind-the-scenes action to save them . "
Old 16-03-2013, 21:23   #59

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
The incident referred to took place before Pope Francis was a bishop . It was during his time as the Jesuit Provincial of members of the Society of Jesus in Argentina .

Two members of the Society of Jesus were abducted in 1976 by Argentina's military government which was suspicious of their work among slum-dwellers .

Sergio Rubin is an author who , based on two years of conversation with Pope Francis , then Cardinal Bergoglio , Archbishop of Buenos Aires , wrote a book about him .

Sergio Rubin has said that Pope Francis " took extraordinary , behind-the-scenes action to save them . "
Hmm...his own personal biographer says this, then I guess it must be true

Strange that the surviving Jesuit simply says that he has made his peace with the pope and refuses to comment further, you'd think he'd jump at the chance to exonerate the head of his church.
Old 17-03-2013, 10:37   #60
JCB

Quote:
Hmm...his own personal biographer says this, then I guess it must be true

Strange that the surviving Jesuit simply says that he has made his peace with the pope and refuses to comment further, you'd think he'd jump at the chance to exonerate the head of his church.
I was not aware that Sergio Rubin was Cardinal Bergoglio's "own personal biographer" . In fact I do not think he ever was .

And , by the way , the pope is not the head of the church .

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..