Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2011, 03:38   #1
Senior Member+

Poppy Ban

What do you make of this?

England stars banned from having poppy on their kit | Mail Online

Defies belief, doesn't it.

Let's hope the Border Agency stop that odious little man Blatter when he arrives at Heathrow and turn him back as an undesirable alien.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-11-2011, 08:51   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Poppy Ban

I would hope the players ignore this ban n wear em.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:26   #3
Super Moderator

The FA should show a bit of backbone here and tell the players to take to the field wearing 'em anyway. But obviously, they won't.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:28   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I would hope the players ignore this ban n wear em.
Wouldn't be allowed to wear a conventional one with a pin cashy elf and safety ya know
Old 07-11-2011, 10:29   #5
Resting in Peace

Don't think FIFA's argument flies really with regards to other nations wanting to do the same
Old 07-11-2011, 10:30   #6
God Member

The easiest way round it is to offer Blatter a bigger bribe
Old 07-11-2011, 12:51   #7
God Member

Why did they have to ask? I bet no-one would have noticed if they'd just turned up with shirts + poppy emblem...

Blatter is a bit of a hate figure -something about his name? I was told an annecdote about him by an adult student of mine some years ago which shows him in a nice light...She was the secretary of one of the top management of SKF in Italy, at a conference she was taking a lift and was hurled out of the way by a couple of Seth Blatter's body-guards. He saw what happened and stopped to ask if she was OK and apologised -he asked her name. That evening when she got back to her room there was a massive bouquet of flowers awaiting her and a hand-written apology... He can't be all bad!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 22:52   #8
Senior Member+

its the dilution of national pride, we are told you cant wear poppies on the field, staff cant wear poppies in the shop. certain groups mock the heros who return from afghanistan, burn poppies. what happens, a lot of tutting but no real action from the authorities.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 22:56   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
its the dilution of national pride, we are told you cant wear poppies on the field,

This isn't a national issue though. In actual fact the FA make all premier league clubs wear a poppy shirt every year.
Old 07-11-2011, 23:08   #10
Senior Member+

the banning of poppies generaly is though, its a combination of two threads, this one, and the banning of poundworld and bodycare staff from wearing them. so I wasn't just commenting on football but the poppy issue accross the board.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 23:48   #11

Get your poppy and wear it with pride, as they say, whoever you are whatever your job.

Not sure about those "blinged up" ones I'm seeing on X Factor or what the celebs seem to have. Having said that, if they cost more and all the proceeds go to into the same cause it has to be all good.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:21   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Get your poppy and wear it with pride, as they say, whoever you are whatever your job.

Not sure about those "blinged up" ones I'm seeing on X Factor or what the celebs seem to have. Having said that, if they cost more and all the proceeds go to into the same cause it has to be all good.
Totally agree Bonnyboy, notice on presenter on BBC Breakfast with a glittery one, when you buy a poppy its a mark of respect, there isn't a price put on the poppy its a matter of what you can afford, yet these glitzy poppies being worn by some celebs is more about them telling the public that they have contributed to the appeal, to me just an ordinary poppy would suffice, no matter what you contribute be it £1 or £100 its the action of buying one that counts not how much you want other people to think you've paid for one
Old 08-11-2011, 14:54   #13
I am Banned

Groove understands that FIFA have a blanket ban on any emblem that could be seen as political/religous. Although Groove wears his poppy with pride, he defies the desire to be outraged at every opportunity. The Royal British Legion accepted this decision with a dignified equiesce(sp).....for example, what if a country like Iraq, EIRE, Argentina etc decided to honour they're fallen heroes similarly. Groove noted that the Daily Mail were first to run with this story, a newspaper reknowned for its xenophobic propoganda.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 15:03   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post

I bought a tiny metallic one in Accy library last week - no-one knows what they are over here in Italy but it gets people curious and some have asked where they can get one!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 15:22   #15
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Wouldn't be allowed to wear a conventional one with a pin cashy elf and safety ya know
Why couldn't the England team wear an armband with a poppy on it?
No health and safety issues there.
Or wear a vest with a poppy printed on it......all the England team to remove their shirts at the end of the match(which most of them do anyway) and show their pride for the bravery of past and present service people.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..