Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 08:19   #61
Resting in Peace

Re: Portas Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
One tries, John.

Ya ones very trying at times
Old 04-04-2012, 08:30   #62
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Well out of order given G's condition, reckon if he were fit he would give the lot of you a run for the money. You all seem quite adept of dishing it out but not being able to take it"rolleyes"
I love how some Accyweb members try and read everything in the most offensive way possible. With respect Bernadette, climb down off the moral high ground and read it again.

As for Gary, I'm afraid that someone who I once considered to be a witty contributor to this forum has also proven himself to be a bit of a spin doctor by blithely ignoring the facts given to him in favour of berating the wrong people and reading posts in a manner that suits.

I anticipate yet more railings against absent benches, internationalist policies and the loose cuffs of amateur politicians with regard to the press, harping on about the same old topics day in day out in the hope that one day someone else will give one iota of a damn about it.

Like a dog with a bone. Sooner or later they will have to drop it.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:32   #63
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Perhaps it's official Labour party policy.

Trying to undermine, and silence any opposition, by criticising anyone in Hyndburn who's unable to be actively involved with political life in our area.

Well dream on.

That ain't going to be happening anytime soon.

Speaking personally, I feel I'm still able to do many useful and worthwhile things, from the unfortunate position I find myself in...'sitting on my arse'.

Indeed, sometimes such a position allows you to be a little reflective, when it comes to deciding what's right...and what's wrong.

Running around like headless chickens, removing public seating, involving yourself in international Asian politics, and blabbing to journalists with off-the-cuff remarks about dog turds, isn't always the wisest plan of action.

Perhaps if some took a moment or two, sat on their arse contemplating their actions, they too would be able to see this...as clearly as we can.

To be honest Rindi I was once in the position where I didn't sit on my arse and believe me you don't win any prizes no matter what you do, believe me you get far more reward and pleasure working for charitable causes that political ones any day.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:35   #64
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
For what its worth Ken, I think you did a really good job. Hope it gets results.

BTW - Accy's got a town centre manager? Why couldn't they have done it??
Thanks Susie. The Town Centre team knew that I had the right equipment and it was far easier (and cheaper) just to ask me than pay someone to do it.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:45   #65
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Thanks Susie. The Town Centre team knew that I had the right equipment and it was far easier (and cheaper) just to ask me than pay someone to do it.
Thanks for clearing that one up Ken. I haven't been an Accy resident for a long time so I'm not au fait with these things.

I won't ask what your equipment is - just glad to see that it works (nudge nudge wink wink!).
Old 04-04-2012, 08:50   #66
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Nope, actually thinking of my younger self whilst in opposition.

Get off your arse and do rather than sitting on the internet and moaning I could do better.

I learn from my mistakes, nothing stopping me in opposition, I just didn't realise I could.
Although in fairness I suppose it could quite easily be read in the wrong way this time.

Just to be clear, I was referring to myself.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:59   #67
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
If any money does turn up, do we know what is planned for it ?
Not specifically Dave, although I'm not really involved with that department anyway.

Clare Pritchard will be able to give you a much better idea.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:04   #68
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
If any money does turn up, do we know what is planned for it ?
Perhaps a new plaque in the Market Hall?
Old 04-04-2012, 09:07   #69
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Well I have watch this town go to the dogs for the last 20+ years & you think a little bit a cash is going to change it ?

you lot have destroyed this town & many other round the country & that goes for the other parties as well .. you are all useless

If you disagree please feel free to explain what good you have done!
We've only had control of this council since last May and certainly in Rishton a few long-standing problems have now been resolved. I know that members in other wards have also had issues dealt with which should have been addressed years ago. Launching money at people in the hope that they will vote for you is not a good way of spending public money and I would ask you to take note that there are no 'surprise' cheques being dished out to local community groups this year. A far better approach is to look at what you have and make the best of it so funding bids are being made left, right and centre in the hope of getting the best deal for Hyndburn.

If you don't agree then let us know in the form of a letter, email or phone call and we can hear you out.

Your posts are almost uniformly negative, would you care to give us some positive ideas instead?

Old 04-04-2012, 09:41   #70
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I love how some Accyweb members try and read everything in the most offensive way possible. With respect Bernadette, climb down off the moral high ground and read it again.

As for Gary, I'm afraid that someone who I once considered to be a witty contributor to this forum has also proven himself to be a bit of a spin doctor by blithely ignoring the facts given to him in favour of berating the wrong people and reading posts in a manner that suits.

I anticipate yet more railings against absent benches, internationalist policies and the loose cuffs of amateur politicians with regard to the press, harping on about the same old topics day in day out in the hope that one day someone else will give one iota of a damn about it.

Like a dog with a bone. Sooner or later they will have to drop it.
Oh dear.

Was I only 'witty', when I was criticising some of the stupid things the council did, when the Tories happened to be in control of the council?

Tough titty.

Stupidity is wrong...whoever's done it, in my book.

As for dropping my 'bone'.

Bit rich, coming from someone who gleefully encouraged my long-running thread about Tory councillor's calendars, amongst other things.

You can't have your cake, and eat it.

So on that score you have two hopes.

Bob Hope, and no hope.

As I posted, the film you made is very professional, and can only help our bid. So well done to you...for that, at least.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:04   #71
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Was I only 'witty', when I was criticising some of the stupid things the council did, when the Tories happened to be in control of the council?
I have never minded questioning stupidity but unfortunately the things I rallied against during the Britcliffe era almost always involved spending thousands of pounds of public money in a way that didn't really benefit the area.

You've got issues with some actions during the HBC Labour tenure but which have cost any money?

Benches - no cost, antisocial problems highlighted at Market Hall largely resolved.

Kashmir motion - no cost, put up by a Conservative councillor in the first place.

Dog muck stories - no cost, non-story blown completely out of proportion by the Accrington Observer.

I accept that not everything will please everyone but just take a step back and look at the facts.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:06   #72
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I have never minded questioning stupidity but unfortunately the things I rallied against during the Britcliffe era almost always involved spending thousands of pounds of public money in a way that didn't really benefit the area.

You've got issues with some actions during the HBC Labour tenure but which have cost any money?

Benches - no cost, antisocial problems highlighted at Market Hall largely resolved.

Kashmir motion - no cost, put up by a Conservative councillor in the first place.

Dog muck stories - no cost, non-story blown completely out of proportion by the Accrington Observer.

I accept that not everything will please everyone but just take a step back and look at the facts.
Always remembering the old saying self praise is no recommendation, and in politics everything the other lot do is wrong, you've a lot to learn grasshopper
Old 04-04-2012, 10:09   #73
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

The rest of yer post i have no issue with, "But" largely resolved this un? I suppose it is if yeh account fer the fact "All" suffer, whilst these knobs have just moved elsewhere.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:13   #74
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Always remembering the old saying self praise is no recommendation, and in politics everything the other lot do is wrong, you've a lot to learn grasshopper
Precisely, Kemo Sabe. You'll notice I didn't post my own video and shout from the rooftops what clever fellows we are for applying to be a Portas Pilot town.

One thing that still gets mentioned to me repeatedly is over-exposure of Cllr Britcliffe in the Observer.

It's a fine line between not being seen enough and people getting sick of the sight of you.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:01   #75
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The rest of yer post i have no issue with, "But" largely resolved this un? I suppose it is if yeh account fer the fact "All" suffer, whilst these knobs have just moved elsewhere.
Oh, but it didn't cost us anything, other than perfectly useable seating was damaged beyond repair, whilst being removed, by people in employ of the council.

So that's just hunky-dory.

Nothing at all to do with finance.

If something's stupid, it's stupid.

Sweeping things under the carpet fixes nothing.

Regardless of how much money it's cost us.

I guess we'll just have to see what Mary has to say, once we've been succesful in our bid.

I always found her very amenable, and at least she has her head screwed on right.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..