Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 14:53   #76

Re: Portas Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
We've only had control of this council since last May and certainly in Rishton a few long-standing problems have now been resolved. I know that members in other wards have also had issues dealt with which should have been addressed years ago. Launching money at people in the hope that they will vote for you is not a good way of spending public money and I would ask you to take note that there are no 'surprise' cheques being dished out to local community groups this year. A far better approach is to look at what you have and make the best of it so funding bids are being made left, right and centre in the hope of getting the best deal for Hyndburn.

If you don't agree then let us know in the form of a letter, email or phone call and we can hear you out.

Your posts are almost uniformly negative, would you care to give us some positive ideas instead?
All you lot are bothered about is pandering to the minority & promoting cultural Marxism!!

For years as I said in a past post .. the town has gone to the dogs & many other people see the same ....

I do not believe a word you lot say & imo you are not doing a good job , I mean look at the town centre .. full of charity shops , betting shops , a few pound shops .. Cash generator & cash converters , loads of empty shops!

Then you have the surrounding areas - a lot of run down houses! & areas people cant go

you say you only took control last may , did you not see how bad of a job the last councillors where doing ?

What this town needs is jobs .. better prospects for the youth because atm there is not much hope for anyone

And finally we need an MP who will speak for the borough instead of going against his constituents like Mr Jones did

I will ask again seeing as you didn't answer me last time - What good have you done for this town ?
Wrighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-04-2012, 15:28   #77
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
I do not believe a word you lot say & imo you are not doing a good job , I mean look at the town centre .. full of charity shops , betting shops , a few pound shops .. Cash generator & cash converters , loads of empty shops!

Then you have the surrounding areas - a lot of run down houses! & areas people cant go
How would you suggest the local council can improve on those problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
What this town needs is jobs .. better prospects for the youth because atm there is not much hope for anyone
How would you suggest the local council achieve that?
Old 04-04-2012, 16:36   #78
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
How would you suggest the local council can improve on those problems?

How would you suggest the local council achieve that?
Perhaps our borough councillors could first have a stab at dealing with things that directly relate to the borough of Hyndburn?

Instead of passing their time in pointless political posturing, by voting to pass motions condemning the Indian side in the Kashmir conflict, the withdrawl of working tax credits, cuts in benefits and pensions, and the Health and Social Care Act.

Bit or a radical idea, I know.

Local government, dealing with local issues, and not involving themselves in national, and international issues.

You never know, it might just catch on.

Local councils.

Local problems.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 16:53   #79
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Perhaps our borough councillors could first have a stab at dealing with things that directly relate to the borough of Hyndburn?

Instead of passing their time in pointless political posturing, by voting to pass motions condemning the Indian side in the Kashmir conflict, the withdrawl of working tax credits, cuts in benefits and pensions, and the Health and Social Care Act.

Bit or a radical idea, I know.

Local government, dealing with local issues, and not involving themselves in national, and international issues.

You never know, it might just catch on.

Local councils.

Local problems.

Totally agree ... and in Canada, the idea ain't all that radical. Kingston has just been voted the third best community in Canada in which to live. Tuktoyaktuk and Moose Jaw hold down the first two places ... sorry for the obscure in-house humour But the bloody potholes. I hit one the other day and am now looking at almost $700.00 of front end work. So I phoned my councillor and bitched about it. Jim said that he knew of the problem and that city crews were working all hours to fill in the holes. That's what I like to hear. And I can see the evidence on my own street. Holes are being filled. Now, it's been a bad winter for the streets. Lots of freezing and thawing; and this, as most of you are aware, is hell on the paving. Little cracks become big cracks, big cracks become holes. No doubt City Council could pass a motion urging world governments to act against climate change, but they won't. They will spend our tax dollars filling in the damn holes. This is what they are elected to do.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 17:05   #80
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Totally agree ... and in Canada, the idea ain't all that radical. Kingston has just been voted the third best community in Canada in which to live. Tuktoyaktuk and Moose Jaw hold down the first two places ... sorry for the obscure in-house humour But the bloody potholes. I hit one the other day and am now looking at almost $700.00 of front end work. So I phoned my councillor and bitched about it. Jim said that he knew of the problem and that city crews were working all hours to fill in the holes. That's what I like to hear. And I can see the evidence on my own street. Holes are being filled. Now, it's been a bad winter for the streets. Lots of freezing and thawing; and this, as most of you are aware, is hell on the paving. Little cracks become big cracks, big cracks become holes. No doubt City Council could pass a motion urging world governments to act against climate change, but they won't. They will spend our tax dollars filling in the damn holes. This is what they are elected to do.
Gotta go up another tier to get holes filled in over here - that's the county council's job not Hyndburn.
Old 04-04-2012, 17:05   #81
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Precisely, Kemo Sabe. You'll notice I didn't post my own video and shout from the rooftops what clever fellows we are for applying to be a Portas Pilot town.

One thing that still gets mentioned to me repeatedly is over-exposure of Cllr Britcliffe in the Observer.

It's a fine line between not being seen enough and people getting sick of the sight of you.
So I take it we won't be seeing you for a couple of weeks then only kidding Ken
Old 04-04-2012, 17:11   #82
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Gotta go up another tier to get holes filled in over here - that's the county council's job not Hyndburn.
Ya susie there were those of us that wanted to do away with this two tier system back in the nineties so that local people from Hyndburn would use money raised in Hyndburn not designated from county hall, but the likes of Loise Ellman used council tax payers money to run a no campaign to abolishing a two tier system and keep the status que, and the perks that went with it
Old 04-04-2012, 17:21   #83
God Member

Quote:
Similar over here. Some communities are just too small to have their own police, fire and ambulance services ... and their tax base is too small to deal with even small holes in the road, let alone snow removal. So a larger authoriy deals with the problems. But it is still local. And, though it's none of my business, I don't think Lancashire County Council should be messing about with global, even national, political issues either. There are fires to put out, emergencies to be transported to hospital, streets to be policed, garbage to be removed, snow to be cleared, and ... yes ... potholes to be fixed. That's more than enough to keep local councils and county councils busy.

Seems like Hyndburn is big enough to deal with a few holes in the road. And if they had more to do, they wouldn't have all that free time on their hands to waste on worrying about what is going on halfway around the world.

Question: does Hyndburn council collect its own taxes?

Oh ... and don't be so damned grumpy
Old 04-04-2012, 17:35   #84
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Similar over here. Some communities are just too small to have their own police, fire and ambulance services ... and their tax base is too small to deal with even small holes in the road, let alone snow removal. So a larger authoriy deals with the problems. But it is still local. And, though it's none of my business, I don't think Lancashire County Council should be messing about with global, even national, political issues either. There are fires to put out, emergencies to be transported to hospital, streets to be policed, garbage to be removed, snow to be cleared, and ... yes ... potholes to be fixed. That's more than enough to keep local councils and county councils busy.

Seems like Hyndburn is big enough to deal with a few holes in the road. And if they had more to do, they wouldn't have all that free time on their hands to waste on worrying about what is going on halfway around the world.

Question: does Hyndburn council collect its own taxes?

Oh ... and don't be so damned grumpy
Grumpy, moi? That better?

Just wanted to add that ambulances are separate again from local and county councils They have their own bit of the NHS.

We all pay council tax which is divided up between local and county councils and the police and fire services. The county council gets the lion's share.
Old 04-04-2012, 17:41   #85
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Just wanted to add that ambulances are separate again from local and county councils They have their own bit of the NHS.

We all pay council tax which is divided up between local and county councils and the police and fire services. The county council gets the lion's share.
Ya about 81 pence in every pound
Old 04-04-2012, 18:44   #86
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Your own local councillor, Leader of the Conservative group, is the person you should be asking about the Kashmir motion as it was his party that put it to Council. Neither Labour nor the Independents had anything to do with it.

Leaving the Kashmir motion aside, something which I feel has been explained and explained and yet is still causing you plenty of angst, all of the motions at the last Full Council affect quite a sizeable portion of our residents. Would you prefer that the council kept its mouth shut or spoke up on behalf of the people we represent?

Or is it a case of 'not our job so we shouldn't bother'?

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 18:49   #87
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Leaving the Kashmir motion aside, something which I feel has been explained and explained and yet is still causing you plenty of angst, all of the motions at the last Full Council affect quite a sizeable portion of our residents. Would you prefer that the council kept its mouth shut or spoke up on behalf of the people we represent?

Or is it a case of 'not our job so we shouldn't bother'?
I was going to post a very similar point. Many national issues have a bearing on local residents and go some way towards affecting those problems Wrighty keeps mentioning.
Old 04-04-2012, 18:52   #88
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I was going to post a very similar point. Many national issues have a bearing on local residents and go some way towards affecting those problems Wrighty keeps mentioning.
To my mind susie National issue, should be dealt with at Westminster not in the council chamber, after all that's why we have an MP
Old 04-04-2012, 18:55   #89
God Member

Quote:

That's better, hon ...

Funny you should mention ambulances ... it's similar here. Frontenac Ambulance and Paramedics are separate from Kingston as they service a large area ... I won't go into detail about the numerous small jurisdictions that use the service. But they all pay for it. The City of Kingston contributes most of the money.

Now ... the air ambulance service. The Province of Ontario used to run the service, mainly choppers flying the severly sick and injured to major referral hospitals such as Kingston General. But it was privatized And those who believe that the NHS would benefit from some privatization, take a look at ....

Canada News: ORNGE scandal: Auditor General to release probe Wednesday - thestar.com
Old 04-04-2012, 19:00   #90
Give, give, give member

Quote:
...the Kashmir motion as it was his party that put it to Council. Neither Labour nor the Independents had anything to do with it.
Oh it sounds like the anti-Indian contingent received more than a warm welcome, at H.B.C. last November, from all the Internationalist numpties that we elect to represent us...supposedly.

Including Labour.

'Misfar Hassan, the County Councillor who lobbied the Labour group for this resolution expressed gratitude to the Leader of the Labour group Mr Miles Parkinson, Councillor Munsif Dad, Councillor Ciaran Wells, Councillor M Ayub and all members of the Labour Group in the Hyndburn Council for supporting the resolution.'
UK City Council supports ‘Kashmiris' Right to Self determination’ | GroundReport

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..