Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 19:02   #91
Common Sense Member

Re: Portas Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
All you lot are bothered about is pandering to the minority & promoting cultural Marxism!!
Please explain specifically how you arrive at this conclusion.

Quote:
I do not believe a word you lot say & imo you are not doing a good job , I mean look at the town centre .. full of charity shops , betting shops , a few pound shops .. Cash generator & cash converters , loads of empty shops!
Correct, although to be honest I have never thought it is as terrible as people make out. There is bags going for Accrington town centre with more big name players than you think. Costa and Wetherspoons have just moved in during the past 12 months and we are always actively trying to attract bigger names. You then get a situation where the big names are accused of driving independent traders out of business.

Could you draw up a foolproof business plan for me, you obviously see the solution.

Quote:
Then you have the surrounding areas - a lot of run down houses! & areas people cant go
You make parts of Hyndburn sound like demilitarised zones but I have never felt unable to go to any part of the borough (with the possible exception of St Andrews). As far as I am aware, Woodnook is by far the worst of the run down areas and Cllr Pritchard has been working endlessly on getting the necessary funding to sort this out, including a workable business plan. As far as I am aware this is now in motion and the funding has been sorted out. In Rishton we had a much smaller scale problem that the previous administration ignored. This too has been sorted out.

Quote:
you say you only took control last may , did you not see how bad of a job the last councillors where doing ?
Yes, which is why we wanted control. I fail to see your point.

Quote:
What this town needs is jobs .. better prospects for the youth because atm there is not much hope for anyone
If everyone had that attitude then there certainly wouldn't be. Fortunately, there are plenty of councillors who do give a damn and plenty of community groups that work bloody hard to improve their patch. Neil, moderator of this forum, is a good example of a hardworking member of his community. We have dozens in Rishton who really make a difference to the village and if it weren't for councillors working with volunteers then Hyndburn would be in a much poorer state.

Quote:
And finally we need an MP who will speak for the borough instead of going against his constituents like Mr Jones did
Beyond the EU referendum which I assume you are referring to, how else has Graham Jones gone against his constituents?

Quote:
I will ask again seeing as you didn't answer me last time - What good have you done for this town
We'll see if I personally have done a good job in 2014 when I either win again or lose. If you're talking about the council then I would politely suggest you take a more active interest in the borough's news.

Doomsaying without any positive ideas or prospective solutions is of very little value, in my opinion.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group

Last edited by Neil; 05-04-2012 at 09:03. Reason: fix quotes for easier reading
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-04-2012, 19:06   #92
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I was going to post a very similar point. Many national issues have a bearing on local residents and go some way towards affecting those problems Wrighty keeps mentioning.
Borough councils under the guise of local government, has no direct influence on policy decisions taken at Westminster.

To pass meaningless, empty motions, is just political posturing.

Suprisingly it hardly ever happens when local councils, and national government are under control of the same party.

Odd that.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 19:07   #93
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Oh it sounds like the anti-Indian contingent received more than a warm welcome, at H.B.C. last November, from all the Internationalist numpties that we elect to represent us...supposedly.

Including Labour.

'Misfar Hassan, the County Councillor who lobbied the Labour group for this resolution expressed gratitude to the Leader of the Labour group Mr Miles Parkinson, Councillor Munsif Dad, Councillor Ciaran Wells, Councillor M Ayub and all members of the Labour Group in the Hyndburn Council for supporting the resolution.'
UK City Council supports ‘Kashmiris' Right to Self determination’ | GroundReport

Dated 12th November, following the Full Council on 10th November.

At the risk of sounding brusque, how many times do I need to say that we couldn't throw it out of Full Council?

What part of that don't you understand?

Old 04-04-2012, 19:08   #94
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Costa and Wetherspoons have just moved in during the past 12 months and we are always actively trying to attract bigger names. You then get a situation where the big names are accused of driving independent traders out of business.
That made me chuckle and is very true.
Those people who say nothing is being done to bring in big names will be the ones saying the big names are killing of smaller shops.

I will post this again, I first posted it in November 2010 when the the Council was under Conservative control and they were giving away free grit for the winter.

Last edited by Neil; 04-04-2012 at 19:12.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 19:10   #95
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Borough councils under the guise of local government, has no direct influence on policy decisions taken at Westminster.

To pass meaningless, empty motions, is just political posturing.

Suprisingly it hardly ever happens when local councils, and national government are under control of the same party.

Odd that.

So we speak on behalf of the majority of residents affected and this is wrong.

Graham Jones MP supposedly doesn't speak on behalf of the majority and this is also wrong.

Can't win, don't try.

I'm really very grateful that I don't live in your world.

Old 04-04-2012, 19:21   #96
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Odd that.

I remember living under another loony-left council, Lambeth, in the 1980's.

They involved us in all kinds of stupid, non-local nonsense, as a means to attack the government, whom they opposed.

I keep getting flash-backs.

Think I'll just slip some leg-warmers on, and lie down in some darkened corner, listening to Banarama.

Whilst repeating the mantra.

'Local council.'

'Local issues.'

'Local council.'

'Local issues.'

'Om Mani Padme Hum.'

Last edited by garinda; 04-04-2012 at 19:26.
Old 04-04-2012, 19:24   #97
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Dated 12th November, following the Full Council on 10th November.

At the risk of sounding brusque, how many times do I need to say that we couldn't throw it out of Full Council?

What part of that don't you understand?
I was merely pointing out what a hearty thank you the anti-Indian contingent gave ALL the Labour group, for affording them such a warm welcome in Hyndburn's council chambers, and for supporting their cause.

Old 04-04-2012, 19:49   #98
God Member

Quote:
For years as I said in a past post .. the town has gone to the dogs & many other people see the same ....

I do not believe a word you lot say & imo you are not doing a good job , I mean look at the town centre .. full of charity shops , betting shops , a few pound shops .. Cash generator & cash converters , loads of empty shops!

Then you have the surrounding areas - a lot of run down houses! & areas people cant go

What this town needs is jobs .. better prospects for the youth because atm there is not much hope for anyone
I was talking to Ken about some of the issues here the other week. It's a shame councils don't get to decide which shops open and which don't. If the premises are already a retail outlet there is no planning application required ( correct me if I'm wrong ). I'm also going to work on an assumption that many charity shops get reduced or even free rent. Why don't the landlords offer those facilties to start up businesses etc.

As for attracting bigger names where would they go ? Are there really any premises big enough for some of the big names like Harrods ?

As for the youth, there are many of them desparate to work, but they are probably the ones you don't see round the town centre drinking alchohol ( in a non alchohol zone ), and stoned out of their heads from various substances, much of the evidence is left lying around on Peel St every morning.

I'll repeat myself again, the biggest issue in Accrington town centre is the people who roam it. Unfortunatley it's not a council job to police the town centre it's the police's job. Maybe if more of our county council tax was spent on proper services instead of ivory towered ego junkies then the job may get done.
Old 04-04-2012, 20:03   #99
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I'm really very grateful that I don't live in your world.
Well happily for you, that's an impossibilty.

Strict border control.

Standards, to maintain.

Old 04-04-2012, 22:07   #100

Quote:
Please explain specifically how you arrive at this conclusion.
Labour is a Marxist party , Miliband`s dad was a proud Marxist .. I have read all about it Ken

Quote:
Correct, although to be honest I have never thought it is as terrible as people make out. There is bags going for Accrington town centre with more big name players than you think. Costa and Wetherspoons have just moved in during the past 12 months and we are always actively trying to attract bigger names. You then get a situation where the big names are accused of driving independent traders out of business.
The super markets have killed the town centre & to add people are struggling with finance's .. Costa & Wetherspoons doesn't help the surrounding areas .. which is in much need of attention & the direction we are heading is a concern for all.

Quote:
Could you draw up a foolproof business plan for me, you obviously see the solution.
Reversing the damage would be a start

Quote:
You make parts of Hyndburn sound like demilitarised zones but I have never felt unable to go to any part of the borough (with the possible exception of St Andrews). As far as I am aware, Woodnook is by far the worst of the run down areas and Cllr Pritchard has been working endlessly on getting the necessary funding to sort this out, including a workable business plan. As far as I am aware this is now in motion and the funding has been sorted out. In Rishton we had a much smaller scale problem that the previous administration ignored. This too has been sorted out.
All am saying is you will never be able to see what its like , you live in a different world compared to what some people of the town see

Quote:
Yes, which is why we wanted control. I fail to see your point.

If everyone had that attitude then there certainly wouldn't be. Fortunately, there are plenty of councillors who do give a damn and plenty of community groups that work bloody hard to improve their patch. Neil, moderator of this forum, is a good example of a hardworking member of his community. We have dozens in Rishton who really make a difference to the village and if it weren't for councillors working with volunteers then Hyndburn would be in a much poorer state.
Thats great & good to hear , Is this all part of the big society ?

Quote:
Beyond the EU referendum which I assume you are referring to, how else has Graham Jones gone against his constituents?
Being pro EU is bad enough , This country will be split into regions & no one wants any part of it

Quote:
We'll see if I personally have done a good job in 2014 when I either win again or lose. If you're talking about the council then I would politely suggest you take a more active interest in the borough's news.
Even if i got involved nothing would change ....

Quote:
Doomsaying without any positive ideas or prospective solutions is of very little value, in my opinion.
Reality is things are getting worse financially for everyone & crime is on the up .

Last edited by Neil; 05-04-2012 at 08:59. Reason: fix quotes for easier reading
Wrighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 22:07   #101
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
That made me chuckle and is very true.
Those people who say nothing is being done to bring in big names will be the ones saying the big names are killing of smaller shops.

I will post this again, I first posted it in November 2010 when the the Council was under Conservative control and they were giving away free grit for the winter.

Sorry for the wander, but I'm a great fan of Larson. The last time I held a, more or less, real job ... one at which they actually expected me to show up for work on time, and sober ... everyone office at Queen's had a Far Side cartoon pasted on the door. True genius. And this is one of my favorites.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 00:02   #102
Common Sense Member

Quote:
All am saying is you will never be able to see what its like, you live in a different world compared to what some people of the town see
Is that a fact? You seem to know an awful lot about me considering we have never met. Don't judge me based on some predetermined stereotype of what you imagine a Labour councillor to be.

Your whole attitude is overwhelmingly sour, just the sort of outlook that is dragging the country down whilst others are trying to perk it up. As an example, there are a couple of comments on the YouTube video at the moment, all derisory about something which is attempting to make life better. Someone has gone out of their way to knock something positive, it certainly isn't me with the problem.

There comes a point where you question the motives of people whose view of the world is utterly negative.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:11   #103
Give, give, give member

Quote:
There comes a point where you question the motives of people whose view of the world is utterly negative.
You mean like the anti-Indian contingent, who thanked Labour so gratefully, for their warm welcome to Hyndburn's council chamber?

Yeah, agreed.

All that gang raping of women and children was a tad on the negative side.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:57   #104

Quote:
Is that a fact? You seem to know an awful lot about me considering we have never met. Don't judge me based on some predetermined stereotype of what you imagine a Labour councillor to be.

Your whole attitude is overwhelmingly sour, just the sort of outlook that is dragging the country down whilst others are trying to perk it up. As an example, there are a couple of comments on the YouTube video at the moment, all derisory about something which is attempting to make life better. Someone has gone out of their way to knock something positive, it certainly isn't me with the problem.

You are part of a Marxist party .. does that make you a Marxist ? or are you a Commie ?

As for me being sour , not at all! , the fact is none of the main parties have this countries best interests at heart or we wouldn't be in this mess would we?

Your right people do need to question the motives of people , starting with the Liebour party & the Cons party .. because they have took it upon themselves to do what they like without the peoples wishes .. that is wrong because you are supposed to be working for the people not for your own agenda!

If you think a two bit video is going to bring in the much needed boost to this town you are living in a dream world.
Wrighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:55   #105
Resting in Peace

Quote:

I remember the councillor for Rishton prior to May 2011 on this very site 7 days a week

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..