Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 08:57   #106
Resting in Peace

Re: Portas Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
You are part of a Marxist party .. does that make you a Marxist ? or are you a Commie ?

As for me being sour , not at all! , the fact is none of the main parties have this countries best interests at heart or we wouldn't be in this mess would we?

Your right people do need to question the motives of people , starting with the Liebour party & the Cons party .. because they have took it upon themselves to do what they like without the peoples wishes .. that is wrong because you are supposed to be working for the people not for your own agenda!

If you think a two bit video is going to bring in the much needed boost to this town you are living in a dream world.
Your begining to grow on me Wrighty
Old 05-04-2012, 10:54   #107
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
You are part of a Marxist party .. does that make you a Marxist ? or are you a Commie ?

As for me being sour , not at all! , the fact is none of the main parties have this countries best interests at heart or we wouldn't be in this mess would we?

Your right people do need to question the motives of people , starting with the Liebour party & the Cons party .. because they have took it upon themselves to do what they like without the peoples wishes .. that is wrong because you are supposed to be working for the people not for your own agenda!

If you think a two bit video is going to bring in the much needed boost to this town you are living in a dream world.
I'm not a mad fan of labels so to be quite honest I'm neither Marxist nor Commie.

In what way am I working for my own agenda? I'd really very much like to hear this. Be specific.

The video didn't cost two bits either, although the pint of ale from a colleague was an appreciated gesture.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:55   #108
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I remember the councillor for Rishton prior to May 2011 on this very site 7 days a week
Occasionally I did come up with solutions to problems instead of sticking rigidly to the 'we're all doomed' line.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 22:15   #109
Give, give, give member

'Bid to be a ‘Portas Pilot -'

'The recent improvements to Platts Lodge, the railway station/Tesco development and the Market Hall are clear evidence of this proactive and co-ordinated approach.'

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...own_Centre.pdf

I do hope Accrington's bid hasn't made too much of a big deal about the massively imposing, new and shiny, town centre Tesco.

I don't think ol' ginger Bob is too keen on that sort of thing. Seeing as she wants the passing of plans for them to be taken out of the hands of local councillors, whose judgement might be swayed by the promise of a hefty financial bung if planning is approved, and the decision as to whether they are a benefit to wherever, taken down in Westminster.

A move that would probably be welcomed by Accrington's rapidly dwindling independent retailers. Who are always more than ready to tell people who still shop with them, that their businesses have suffered dramatically, since the new Tesco opened in Accrington's town centre.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 13:22   #110
Give, give, give member

By the way, does anyone know if us having a brand new town centre Tesco, was mentioned in Accrington's bid to be one of the selected Portas Pilot towns?

I'm rather hoping it wasn't.

Old 06-04-2012, 19:43   #111
Give, give, give member

Let's hope mention of having a new Tesco was dropped from our bid, and they bigged up the success that is the ever expanding, Maundy Shopping Village.

Old 06-04-2012, 19:46   #112
Give, give, give member

The next time another numpty on the council decides it's a good idea to change the name of the borough...again, we'll proably find we're all suddenly living in Maundyington.

Old 06-04-2012, 19:52   #113
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Wrighty's little tracts make it sound as if HBC is populated with stormtroopers, of which I am supposedly an ardent supporter.
Ken just a point. If you and your party are as Wrighty says you are for Heavens sake don't call in the Stormtroopers- you'd be their first target!
Try ringing for the Spetsnaz, they may still be a little 'lefty'.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 20:05   #114
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'm not a member of the Tory Party, Ken is a member of the Labour Party, big difference, he has to toe the political line, Ask Graham, he was only too ready to stick two fingers up to the electorate when Mr Ed said jump when it came to europe
I don't see that there is all that much difference, if any ... No doubt you were once a member of the Conservative Party ... and you share their ideological outlook, usually without question. Ok, so you are no longer a card-carrying member, but from your posts, and your responses to those who post from a left-of-center perspective, well ... no longer has the membership, but it's bred in the bone ...
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 21:06   #115
Resting in Peace

nice to see my flower cart on there... in the market under the stairs....
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:53   #116
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Jaysay, when your having a go about Gordon can you stick 'Brown' after it?
Gets me quite upset!

Oops, how did I do that to garindas post?
Sorry Gordon from now on I'll refer to him as GB or I could actually add an "H" aka GBH in as much as GBH of the British economy
Old 07-04-2012, 10:00   #117
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I don't see that there is all that much difference, if any ... No doubt you were once a member of the Conservative Party ... and you share their ideological outlook, usually without question. Ok, so you are no longer a card-carrying member, but from your posts, and your responses to those who post from a left-of-center perspective, well ... no longer has the membership, but it's bred in the bone ...
The difference is Eric I DON'T have to follow the party line, which if you remember when the question of Europe rears its head I'm definitely on the out of European Union side, unlike our MP who says one thing then does another, you may remember I was against the closing of the toilets in Accrington too and I won't be voting Tory in the May elections either
Old 07-04-2012, 10:12   #118
God Member

I notice that the Observer is reporting that Accy's bid succeeded.

Council chiefs delighted with £100k town centre windfall | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

In view of recent bad reporting by that 'rag' it isn't surprising that they aren't being believed.

We await the 'truth' from official sources.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:15   #119
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post

Council chiefs delighted with £100k town centre windfall | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

In view of recent bad reporting by that 'rag' it isn't surprising that they aren't being believed.

I saw that too Margaret and though it would have become an hot topic on here
Old 07-04-2012, 10:25   #120
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post

That's nothing to do with the Portas Pilot bid.

It's a different government initiative.

Their High Street Innovation Fund.

In which 100 ailing town's councils were given a £100,000., to try and solve the problem of so many empty shops.

The Portas Pilot scheme, of which Accrington has submitted a bid, has still to choose the twelve successful towns.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..