Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-01-2008, 22:41   #31

Re: Post Office Closures

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Hum, that does seem a little strange, wonder if anything to do with the steep streets people would have to climb after visiting the General one ? Perhaps would have more of an outcry if they closed it ?
I suspect it is not consideration for people having to climb steep streets. Anyone who lives in the Church Kirk area faces a very steep climb to the Dill Hall Lane Post Office. If you live in Huncoat or Belthorn (both places are within the borough of Hyndburn), you will face a very long journey to your nearest Post Office.

Having your pension etc paid into a bank account is all very well, if you can access your money easily, but if there is no cash machine in the area in which you live you will not find it very easy to get at your money. Also not all cash machines are free, many charge to take out money. Many older people do not like using cash machines (fear of being mugged whilst you are taking out your money is one concern), also lots of shops now will not accept cheques as a form of payment. I do feel that large supermarkets, such as Asda are being penny pinching in this instant - they do not have to pay any cheques into the bank so do not incur bank charges.

It is all very well saying that pensions and other benefits can be paid into bank accounts, but not everyone is able to open a bank account (because of problems with having enough ID etc), and people with very low income are not the people most banks want as customers. Banks are only interested in how much profit they can make from customers, by selling loans/credit cards etc to customers. People with low incomes do not match the profile of customers they want to attract. Even if people have bank accounts, not everyone can use services such as online banking, because not everyone has access to the internet. If you have a low income the cost of a computer and internet access would not feature very high on your list of essential household items.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-01-2008, 22:45   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
I suspect it is not consideration for people having to climb steep streets. Anyone who lives in the Church Kirk area faces a very steep climb to the Dill Hall Lane Post Office. If you live in Huncoat or Belthorn (both places are within the borough of Hyndburn), you will face a very long journey to your nearest Post Office.

Having your pension etc paid into a bank account is all very well, if you can access your money easily, but if there is no cash machine in the area in which you live you will not find it very easy to get at your money. Also not all cash machines are free, many charge to take out money. Many older people do not like using cash machines (fear of being mugged whilst you are taking out your money is one concern), also lots of shops now will not accept cheques as a form of payment. I do feel that large supermarkets, such as Asda are being penny pinching in this instant - they do not have to pay any cheques into the bank so do not incur bank charges.

It is all very well saying that pensions and other benefits can be paid into bank accounts, but not everyone is able to open a bank account (because of problems with having enough ID etc), and people with very low income are not the people most banks want as customers. Banks are only interested in how much profit they can make from customers, by selling loans/credit cards etc to customers. People with low incomes do not match the profile of customers they want to attract. Even if people have bank accounts, not everyone can use services such as online banking, because not everyone has access to the internet. If you have a low income the cost of a computer and internet access would not feature very high on your list of essential household items.
Excellent post, Claytonender. Karma on its way.
Old 22-01-2008, 23:30   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
I suspect it is not consideration for people having to climb steep streets. Anyone who lives in the Church Kirk area faces a very steep climb to the Dill Hall Lane Post Office.
This was just a tongue in cheek comment claytonender and not to be taken too seriously .. basically, they have probaby looked at each site independently and decided which ones were making any money or otherwise.

Realise is difficult for some of the elderly to become conversant with banking (now a dying breed), but plenty of help out there for them, and the safest way of receiving their pensions regularly without having to worry about a trip to the local post office every week, or hiding their money under the mattress. Lots of pensioners over 70 are just being stubborn, a new wave of pensioners coming up now .. me being a prime example. Anyway, with a bank account comes a debit card .. so no reason for too much cash carrying these days.

Lots of new ATM machines being installed in closer proximity than ever their post office was, and very few now charge.

As for the danger of this, how many incidents were reported re: people being robbed after visiting Post Offices to collect their weekly benefits, pensions, etc., bet lot more than collecting at a cash machine.. and most do have CCTV now.

Online banking is not a necessity, so your argument re. buying expensive equipment as computers does not hold up.

'Tis sad, I know, that for the minority who find banking difficult is now over-ruled by those who do not .. but that is life unfortunately and in 10 years time the gap will have almost closed.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 23:45   #34

Just as a matter of interest, can you tell me how many free cash dispensers, there are in Clayton. I know the Co-op one is free, but don't know about the others.

In Huncoat, as far as I know the nearest free cash machine is at the Griffin Garage, which is a hike if you live in the village.

It is not just for drawing pensions that people need a local post office, it is where many people pay their household bills.

Also with the lots of older, they worry about forgetting their PIN number, and most would panic, if the cash dispenser would not return their card, especailly if they did not receive any money.

In the last 18 months I have had both one of my credit card and a debit card used fraudulently (in both cases the cards never left my possession). In fact over a £1000.00 was spent fraudulently on my credit card. I now acoid drawing any cash out of cash machines. If I have to do so, I use a cashcard for an account that never has more than £50.00 in, and has no overdraft facility at all (as it is on a savings account). If this is used fraudently the most amyone could get is £50.00.

I would hate to think an older person would have to deal with the loss of money because of fraud on the use of their debit card.
Old 25-01-2008, 16:57   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Lots of new ATM machines being installed in closer proximity than ever their post office was, and very few now charge.
I must take issue with your claim that very few ATM's charge. I have just done a search of the ATM's in Church and found the following

There are 6 AtM's in Church situated at the following locations -
Dill Hall Post Office (ATM charges are £1.50)
Dill Hall Newsagents (ATM charges are £1.50)
Church Hall Garage (this one is free)
AZ Mini Market - Regent Road (ATM charges are £1.50)
Barry & Gails Victoria Street (ATM charges are £1.50)
Thorn Inn St James Road (ATM charges are £1.50)

Whilst I agree that these might be nearer than the post office on Market Street that is to close, with the exception of Church Hall Garage they will all charge you for taking out your money.

I have just checked in Clayton, there are 5 ATM's and only the one in the Co-op is free. 3 of the others charge £1.50 and the other charges £1.75.

If you want to check the location of ATM's in any area this website gives you the info (and charges for taking money out - if applicable, also hours of operation and wether they are wheelchair friendly).
http://www.multimap.com/clients/plac...t=link12546tyr

Last edited by claytonender; 25-01-2008 at 17:01.
Old 25-01-2008, 17:30   #36
Resting in Peace

Blimey Claytonender .. you bin doing your homework.. Ok I surrender on this point. I must just use all the ones that don't charge, and do resent ever having to use the ones that do .. which have been mainly on Motorway Service stations.

Most shops will give cash back though which doesn't entail a fee, however, Clayton Co-op have stopped doing this now as they have a machine (except when it is out of order), but, as you say, they don't charge anyway on their machine.

I, myself, feel sorry for the demise of these local Post Offices, but they are losing lots of money. Have you read the Observer this week main points were:-

The loss of revenue .. 8 out 10 branches were running at a loss.

Each transaction costs the taxpayers £17.

The loss is now running at £4 million per week.

Consumer habits have changed with the introduction of on-line banking and direct debits,etc., and has drastically reduced the number of people using them.

I, myself, only ever use the PO to renew my car tax, but obviously not a problem to get to one .. as I naturally have a car, but could easily obtain from the Internet now.

What would you do if it were your business ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..