Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-01-2008, 21:52   #1
God Member

Post Office Closures

3 Hyndburn post office closures have been announced tonight;

Church Post Office, 9A Market Street, Accrington
Huncoat Post Office, 10-12 Station Road, Huncoat
St Huberts Post Office, 108 Queen Street, Great Harwood

Can't be many left now.
Old 21-01-2008, 21:53   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Post Office Closures

We were only saying on Saturday that we were surprised the one in Market Street had managed to survive - we shouldn't have said anything!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 21:56   #3
God Member

Also closing ones in Hapton & Higham. Wonder where there nearest ones will be afterwards
Old 21-01-2008, 21:57   #4
God Member

That's terrible.

There are a lot of old people in Church and Huncoat who use the Post Offices and it'll be hard for them having to get the bus into Accrington in all weathers. Makes me very cross.

How many more are we going to lose?
Old 21-01-2008, 22:12   #5
God Member

A few years ago you couldn't buy a stamp anywhere else. The decline began when shops started selling them. The only thing that kept Post Offices going was benefit Giros - now the money is paid into bank accounts there was nothing to stop their rapid downhill decline.
There may well be hardship experienced by some elderly folk who regarded the cashing of their pension as their only social excursion in an otherwise lonely existence= SAD
I rarely visit a Post Office, but on Monday I had to venture out in the wild wet winter weather to return an Ebay item, and in my ignorance I walked into what once was Moorend Post Office. I then went to the new PO facility in the Ossy Coop, which is nearer.
My cousin in South Wales is dreading the closure of her local PO because the salary the shopkeeper gets for having the facility in her local shop is the only thing that keeps it financially viable for the shop owner, and there is no other shop for 15 miles.
So these closures are saving costs but causing some social problems.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 22:19   #6
God Member

I've just found the full list of those earmarked for closure. After a 6 week consultation period, it seems East Lancs is going to lose 23 Post Offices!

Post Office Closures Bombshell (from Blackburn Citizen)
Old 21-01-2008, 22:42   #7

I think that the closure of these post offices will cause a great deal of hardship to alot of people. I use the post office to pay utility bills, our council tax and our car ta. I know that I could very easily pay these either by DD, interent/telephone banking or online (in the case of our car tax). But prefer to pay when it is convenient for me rather than the company. I often use the post office in Queen Street, the postmaster is very helpful if you need to ask any questions.
If you make it even more difficult to use Post Offices, the revenue (for the ones still open) will fall even further, because people will use the alternative ways to pay bills etc. I noticed that the Hapton Post Office, is one marked for closure, it will be very difficult, if you have no transport getting to another post office from Hapton (also the same applies to the Higham Postr Office), as it will be several miles to the nearest Post Office. The rationale behind some of these closures are very hard to begin to undersatand.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 23:18   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

do they post letters now in hapton? thought they still used the deadwood stage,or smoke signals.
Old 21-01-2008, 23:22   #9
Give, give, give member

Personally I blame all of you who voted for Thatcher, and her backing for the free market economy.

We're reaping what we sowed.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 23:40   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Personally I blame all of you who voted for Thatcher, and her backing for the free market economy.

funny, my thoughts also.
Old 22-01-2008, 00:53   #11
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Perhaps they could have been kept open if the the £25 billion had been invested in the Post Office instead of in That Rocky Rock Bank!

It works out that something like £2,000 has been invested per man woman and child in the country to that bank, but a handy just around the corner post office can be left to go to the wall!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 08:55   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

whats thatcher got to do with it?, and G where have you been, eversince i can remember labour have been in power
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 08:56   #13
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

since these post offices have shut, i thought accy one would have been very busy, but its been empty nearly everytime i go in
Old 22-01-2008, 09:03   #14
God Member

About 15 years ago a visit to Accy GPO was a thing to groan about --long queues most of the time----perhaps if they had made visits less unpleasant then they might have had more public support now.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 09:08   #15
Resting in Peace

looks like the one on Blackburn rd has survived the closers upto now anyway
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..