Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2005, 18:38   #1

After reading post by someone on here about karma being removed and people not giving there names i would like to ask if anyone has problem with any posts on here instead of reporting the post they message the poster as they d also be far more respected for doing so . I am well aware i go off topic at times but have had a few removed recently which i felt was on topic and more on topic than a few other posts which are still there . By keep removing posts dont know about others but it knocks my incentive to post anymore . I fully understand forum rules as i use quite a few and will do my best to stay on topic but at the same time try to add fun to the threads which is what makes accyweb enjoyable
Old 09-03-2005, 18:45   #2
Senior Member+

Re: posts

If you have had posts removed they must have been deemed unacceptable or offensive by the moderators;the mods are simply doing a job and making the site accessible and pleasant for all users.{I trust you mean posts and not karma!**
Old 09-03-2005, 18:45   #3

All posts evolve as the subject is discussed and it becomes impossible to stay on the original topic as subjects run off at a tangent. Thats what discussion is all about .
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 18:48   #4
Senior Member+

Maybe [and that's a BIG maybe] other users are getting fed up of posts that just contain thinly veiled innuendo and numerous "lol" "pmsl" etc etc etc.
Old 09-03-2005, 18:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod
If you have had posts removed they must have been deemed unacceptable or offensive by the moderators;the mods are simply doing a job and making the site accessible and pleasant for all users.{I trust you mean posts and not karma!**
they do a good job of running the site but i found some of the posts removed neither unacceptable or offensive and my main point is still if posts are removed it would be nice to know why they have been removed like on other forums you get a message or an email telling you its been removed and why and also if the post has been reported for the person to let you know why they thought it should be removed
Old 09-03-2005, 18:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
All posts evolve as the subject is discussed and it becomes impossible to stay on the original topic as subjects run off at a tangent. Thats what discussion is all about .
fully agree and thats what keeps some threads going and keeps them interesting and at the same time adds to the enjoyment of posting
Old 09-03-2005, 19:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod
Maybe [and that's a BIG maybe] other users are getting fed up of posts that just contain thinly veiled innuendo and numerous "lol" "pmsl" etc etc etc.
that may be... but we all have free speach...there are some posts which some people consider boring!! which is fine because it interests somebody..the same as the wandering threads make some people laugh!!! which is all i try to do...you may have noticed that most of my threads wander...maybe never returning to their original idea...but ive had a lot of feedback from people saying how much fun they get from reading them!!!
i can understand the getting rid of the offensive ones!!! but the wandering ones that inject humour...perhaps be a little more lenient with us...were just having fun!! xx
Old 09-03-2005, 20:07   #8
God Member

I am also one of the wandering group and I also have only had good feed back saying how hilarious the posts are. Can someone please come forward and point us in the direction of were we are going wrong or is it just a case of you can't please everyone?? As for the lol's and PMSL and the over use of smilies, most of our posts are very tongue in cheek and need to add this to make sure people know we are joking so as not to cause offence.
Old 09-03-2005, 20:12   #9
g78

I think as long as people aren't turning serious threads and discussions into silly ones then I don't see what harm it can do. Most people want to have some fun as well as discuss serious issues, as long as it is done in the right place then go ahead.
Old 09-03-2005, 20:19   #10

Little inuendoes make things fun but continual ones become a bit of a drag.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 20:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
Little inuendoes make things fun but continual ones become a bit of a drag.
Fully agree thats why we ve tried to cut it down which surely most have noticed the point i wanted to get at was though as ive stated that it would be nice to know why posts have been removed by a message or if people have a problem then to let us know and there opinion will be respected instead of just reporting the post and also for us to learn others opinions . Theres always bound to be a problem with peoples senses of humour but have noticed people jump the gun a few times
Old 09-03-2005, 20:33   #12

I totally agree with u. they should tell us when they are going to delete posts. but they delete them cause its turned into a conversation rather than a debate. if you know what i mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrabbit
Fully agree thats why we ve tried to cut it down which surely most have noticed the point i wanted to get at was though as ive stated that it would be nice to know why posts have been removed by a message or if people have a problem then to let us know and there opinion will be respected instead of just reporting the post and also for us to learn others opinions . Theres always bound to be a problem with peoples senses of humour but have noticed people jump the gun a few times
Old 09-03-2005, 20:51   #13
Len
God Member

There are many reasons why posts can be deleted, some are obvious and others are touch and go. The touch and go posts will usually be left until some one reports them and there are those posts that do not get spotted, for what ever reason..see rules
Rules

One of the obvious one’s to spot are the ones that hi-jack threads.
What happens is that someone will start a thread with whatever topic and for a while things go along fine without any problems. Sometimes, as mentioned earlier some threads do wander a little and nobody really minds.
What does spoil it i.e. the thread, is when one or two maybe more members take over the thread by chit-chatting amongst them selves on a none related subject, such as “are you going out tonight” “lol yes. Are you?” etc etc. I am sure that this sort of chit-chat is very important to the chit-chatters involved but to the rest of the members trying to follow the original topic it means that they have to scroll through loads of rubbish to find the next relevant post to the original topic.
So if these chit-chat posts are not removed then it could possibly kill that thread because others might not want to be bothered having to scroll though all the chit-chat posts.
I’ve seen in a report that there were nearly 40 chit-chat posts deleted in one thread alone, now imagine that.
If members want to have a chat they can either use the chat room or PM each other thus leave the threads clear, this way their posts will not be deleted.
I hope this helps.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 20:56   #14
Len
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke orourke 1988
I totally agree with u. they should tell us when they are going to delete posts. but they delete them cause its turned into a conversation rather than a debate. if you know what i mean.
Everyone can consider the above as being told.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 20:58   #15
God Member

Thanks Len advice taken on board. We did realise that our posts were sometimes chit chatty and mentioned it to each other that it must be annoying for others. We do take ourselves off to the chat room regularly now.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..