Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-11-2009, 20:29   #151
Super Moderator

Re: Potential Labour Candidate for Hyndburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
the information is only available to members of Hyndburn Constituency Labour Party.
...but you're "not keeping it a secret" of course.
Old 18-11-2009, 22:35   #152
Senior Member+

It's not a secret. Anyone who joins knows and anyone can join.

Clearly there is movement to open primaries and I applaud the Tories for trying it out.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 22:37   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
...but you're "not keeping it a secret" of course.
No we are not keeping it a secret.

However, the selection of a Labour Prospective Parliamentary Candidate for the Hyndburn Parliamentary Constituency, is a matter for membership of Hyndburn Constituency Labour Party and no one else. As members of Hyndburn Constituency Labour Party, are the only people who vote on the candidate, it serves no purpose (other than frivolous remarks being posted by so called 'interested parties') for anyone else to be privy to the information.

As Graham has just posted anyone who joins the Labour Party knows and membership is open to all.

Last edited by claytonender; 18-11-2009 at 22:41.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 22:42   #154
God Member

Well now all of accringtonweb know if they read the previous page so it's all well!
Old 19-11-2009, 05:19   #155
Senior Member+

I am sure people do know and the fact that some candidates have used the web makes public their position.

I think the party rules are based on the opposite viewpoint of open primaries.

That old argument is that opposition voters will try and influence the vote for the worst candidate and not the best. Whether through public opinion, a dirty tricks or smear campaign for eg or in open primaries through votes.

The Tories have been very careful in using open primaries in safe seats which negates to a large extent any malicous campaining or voting.

In any case pay the membership fee and you can participate. It's only a £1 for young adults as well.

Last edited by g jones; 19-11-2009 at 05:23.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 08:13   #156
Super Moderator

Quote:

However, the selection of a Labour Prospective Parliamentary Candidate for the Hyndburn Parliamentary Constituency, is a matter for membership of Hyndburn Constituency Labour Party and no one else.
Definition 2 for the word "secret" in my Oxford English Dictionary states "known only to initiates" and I reckon you've just given us a perfect example there!

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 19-11-2009 at 08:16.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 08:50   #157
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Please will stop making me laugh, I have to clean the coffee off my monitor now
Old 20-11-2009, 07:37   #158
God Member

It's really unfair to accuse them of secrecy - every one withholds information from people if it's not considered important at that time, which this isn't until a selection is made. No one else has any say in the decision, so why is it important for everyone to know until it's actually been made.

For example, you are a member of the committee of a community group, you are involved in a couple of projects, at what point do you tell the rest of the group the decisions that you have been making on their behalf - is it every single step of the way or is it when you feel that there is something important to say? Are you keeping secrets or just waiting for the right time to release the information? Just a hypothetical example of course ;D

For example, you've been given some information that's important to husband/wife/partner, etc but it could be a bit distressing - do you wait until they've come home, settled in, had a cup of coffee, etc or do you phone them up and blurt it out over the phone the very minute you heard it.

My point is that people choose the right time to tell other people things, even if they need to know them at some point.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Last edited by Gayle; 20-11-2009 at 07:41.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 08:06   #159
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
It's really unfair to accuse them of secrecy - every one withholds information from people if it's not considered important at that time, which this isn't until a selection is made. No one else has any say in the decision, so why is it important for everyone to know until it's actually been made.

For example, you are a member of the committee of a community group, you are involved in a couple of projects, at what point do you tell the rest of the group the decisions that you have been making on their behalf - is it every single step of the way or is it when you feel that there is something important to say? Are you keeping secrets or just waiting for the right time to release the information? Just a hypothetical example of course ;D

For example, you've been given some information that's important to husband/wife/partner, etc but it could be a bit distressing - do you wait until they've come home, settled in, had a cup of coffee, etc or do you phone them up and blurt it out over the phone the very minute you heard it.

My point is that people choose the right time to tell other people things, even if they need to know them at some point.
Definition 1 in my Oxford English Dictionary for secret reads: "kept hidden or separate from the knowledge of others" which applies to all the scenarios you describe above. I'm not disputing their reasons for keeping it a secret - they might have very good cause. But a secret it is for the moment. Therefore, stating that "it's not a secret" is stretching the bounds of credulity somewhat. Actually, your phrase "waiting for the right time to release the information" is a brilliant piece of political doublespeak for "we're keeping it a secret". I reckon they ought to hire you as their spindoctor, Gayle!
Old 20-11-2009, 08:10   #160
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

It is secret until/if they tell people. Its that simple. Why don't they don't just admit the fact.
Old 20-11-2009, 08:21   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It is secret until/if they tell people. Its that simple. Why don't they don't just admit the fact.
The only people who need to know (and have the right to the information) who are on the shortlist are the members of Hyndburn Constituency Labour Party.

Whilst it is perfectly allowable for the rest of the population of Hyndburn to speculate and discuss the merits of who the person that is chosen as the PPC for the Labour Party. They do not have any 'god given' right to the information.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 08:39   #162
Super Moderator

Quote:
The only people who need to know (and have the right to the information) who are on the shortlist are the members of Hyndburn Constituency Labour Party.

Whilst it is perfectly allowable for the rest of the population of Hyndburn to speculate and discuss the merits of who the person that is chosen as the PPC for the Labour Party. They do not have any 'god given' right to the information.
Yet more political doublespeak worthy of a minor party official on the politbureau of some Soviet era Eastern European satellite state.

...in other words it's a secret!
Old 20-11-2009, 08:47   #163
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Yet more political doublespeak worthy of a minor party official on the politbureau of some Soviet era Eastern European satellite state.

agree, cannot say the simple fact its a secret, just spin like a top, another reason why i n probably many more folk, just don't bother wi politics any more, maybe one day they will "Get It" but have me doubts.
Old 20-11-2009, 08:56   #164
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
agree, cannot say the simple fact its a secret, just spin like a top, another reason why i n probably many more folk, just don't bother wi politics any more, maybe one day they will "Get It" but have me doubts.
Exactly. It's not of vital concern to me who's on the Labour party shortlist for H******n, as I don't live there anymore. I was just making the point that these days, politicians, both national and local, indulge in spin and doublespeak to the extent that I don't even think they know they're doing it...and Claytonender has just proved my point!

One of the many reasons why I now regard politicians with mistrust.
Old 20-11-2009, 09:02   #165
Senior Member+

Quote:

If you want to join the Labour Party I'll get a membership form. You appear to interested in the Labour Party and it's internal democracy.

But I have to be honest it's not as exiting at times as being a Stanley fan.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..