Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-11-2009, 14:48   #181
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Potential Labour Candidate for Hyndburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Labour must be scraping the bottom of the barrel. After his continual petty squabbling with andrewb and his edited posts describing all Tories as a shower of manure this is one vote Labour won't be getting.
I wonder if he will be a changed man now and stay a lot quieter.
Old 22-11-2009, 22:13   #182
Senior Member+

Congrats Graham,best man for the job!
Old 22-11-2009, 23:43   #183
Senior Member+

Thanks Lindsey.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 13:18   #184
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I wonder if he will be a changed man now and stay a lot quieter.
I never trust the quiet one's myself!!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 15:22   #185
God Member

Backbench MP's have nowt to do these days, other than play at lackey dogs for whichever idiots make up the government or the opposition front bench. I don't know how well Graham knows London, but if he is elected and wants to discover the Capital's fleshpots and drinking dens, then I'm quite willing to assist, providing of course, he puts the bill on expenses.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 15:30   #186
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I don't know how well Graham knows London, but if he is elected and wants to discover the Capital's fleshpots and drinking dens, then I'm quite willing to assist, providing of course, he puts the bill on expenses.
Thanks for the offer. If all things go well yes sure we'll arrange to meet. It's interesting what others think and how things can be better.

I'll pay the bill myself. The only ex's I have claimed in 7 years are a few train fares to County Hall since winning Acc South.
Old 23-11-2009, 15:39   #187
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Backbench MP's have nowt to do these days, other than play at lackey dogs for whichever idiots make up the government or the opposition front bench.
...and whichever idiots make up the government or opposition front bench have nowt to do but play at lackey dogs to the faceless bureaucrats in Brussels - the source of real (and undemocratic) power in this country.

Still, well worth going for a few beers with Tealeaf, Graham. He's a one-man good pub guide down the smoke!
Old 23-11-2009, 15:59   #188
God Member

Well, one thing you can do Graham - and I suggest you offer to stick this in your manifesto - is to place details of all your expenses (excluding our pub crawl) and your parliamentary diary in the public domain. This would be on a dedicated website - maybe here as well - plus hard copies in the local libraries.

This would include a spreadsheet of your expenses, plus details of what meetings you have attended, with whom, and when and where you have met them and to what purpose the meeting was about. This would range from committee meetings to lobby groups, but not individual constituents. It should be updated on a monthly basis. At least that way we would have some idea of what we're getting for our money.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 09:30   #189
God Member

Congradulations Graham. Does this mean you'll be stepping down as a councillor nearer the election now that you've become Labour's PPC?

Last edited by andrewb; 24-11-2009 at 09:35.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 10:20   #190
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Congradulations Graham. Does this mean you'll be stepping down as a councillor nearer the election now that you've become Labour's PPC?
Don't say that Andrew, last thing we want is to have to pay for more local and Country by elections.
Old 24-11-2009, 10:26   #191
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Labour must be scraping the bottom of the barrel. After his continual petty squabbling with andrewb and his edited posts describing all Tories as a shower of manure this is one vote Labour won't be getting.
I understand your thoughts here Yerself; that is Graham's one fault, that he does wear his heart on his sleeve and cannot hold back his feelings with regard to issues. I, myself, do not really see it as a fault ... just a man that cares about Hyndburn. The opposition on here are always very tight-lipped, and watch every (on the rare occasion they comment) word posted, so never really know what they are thinking .. mean councillors of course.

I think, at this moment in time, he is the best candidate for Labour to put forward to fight this next election, as he is very popular, and voters will consider him very strongly over their leanings for a particular party.

My one worry would be that we all know he is capable of handling matters at a local level but can he rise to National level ? Up to him to convince us.

I would seriously consider putting my cross against his name, even though I have voted in other directions in the past.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 10:30   #192
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Don't say that Andrew, last thing we want is to have to pay for more local and Country by elections.
That's why I said nearer the time as to have his council election on the same day as the other local elections, thus saving the taxpayer from a costly by-election.
Old 24-11-2009, 12:41   #193
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I understand your thoughts here Yerself; that is Graham's one fault, that he does wear his heart on his sleeve and cannot hold back his feelings with regard to issues. I, myself, do not really see it as a fault ... just a man that cares about Hyndburn. The opposition on here are always very tight-lipped, and watch every (on the rare occasion they comment) word posted, so never really know what they are thinking .. mean councillors of course.

I think, at this moment in time, he is the best candidate for Labour to put forward to fight this next election, as he is very popular, and voters will consider him very strongly over their leanings for a particular party.

My one worry would be that we all know he is capable of handling matters at a local level but can he rise to National level ? Up to him to convince us.

I would seriously consider putting my cross against his name, even though I have voted in other directions in the past.

All that Graham would ask I'm sure is that People consider supporting him. He knows he will have to earn that support.

A lot of us in the Local Labour Party were determined to select a strong hard working local candidate. And we know we have got that in Graham.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 16:59   #194
Senior Member+

Quote:
I love County and District. If I lose I would like to stay in locally.
Old 24-11-2009, 17:00   #195
Senior Member+

Quote:
I love County and District. If I lose I would like to continue for my area locally.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..