Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2009, 04:00   #211
God Member

Re: Potential Labour Candidate for Hyndburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I don't think it's a bad thing that somebody has raised the issue of taxpayers paying for needless by-elections. If your candidate thinks he is going to win, then there is no problem in resigning from his local government posts. If the 'Tories are going to fight in Hyndburn' for taxpayer value, then yes, I'm with them, all the way.

Another Labour councillor notes that in previous years the unsuccessful Tory candidate has not stepped down from council. I don't support that. If somebody stands for Parliament and stands a chance, they shouldn't keep their local government seats 'just incase' they lose. Taxpayers shouldn't be there to shoulder the burden of their loss. They choose to be parliamentary candidates - if they're not completely focused on it then their suitability for the job should be questioned.
But at the same time there is no question of the "taxpayer" funding yourself in loans and grants in your further education.. people are not stupid..but nice try.

Last edited by Mancie; 25-11-2009 at 04:03.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-11-2009, 07:47   #212
Senior Member+

Clothes. Your right Kate.

Standing Down. I represent Peel & Acc South. The people there may not want me to step down for several reasons. Community work, politically different to rest of the Borough.

By Elections. You do try your best Andrew I accept that. Without thinking about what has happenned previously sometimes within your own Party. A by election could be called 5 May 2011 to save money. The issue of 2nd jobs has been easy for some MPs. Stay on the local council and stay in touch with reality! Pluses and minuses there. A Liberal in Manchester did 4 years as both this term?

On resigning at some stage; Thats still how I see the long term. When you loose the passion and because you forfeit so much from your family. time (that's why the cheap shots irk) I am a realist. When I am not doing somewhere my best for the area I represent it's time to pack your bags.

Last edited by g jones; 25-11-2009 at 07:56.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 08:24   #213
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
But at the same time there is no question of the "taxpayer" funding yourself in loans and grants in your further education.. people are not stupid..but nice try.
Mancie, when they are so far up there own backsides,things like that are easily forgotten,
Old 25-11-2009, 08:46   #214
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
You think you might lose so want to hold on to your district and county seats, yet if you were to win you'd cause two costly by-elections (unless you plan to keep all 3 wages). Sounds like having your cake and eating it.
Sound to me like the best way to do it. Why cause those by-elections now when they may not be needed?

Why did you bring wages into it? People should be paid for doing a job so that has nothing to do with it as far as I am concerned.
Old 25-11-2009, 08:49   #215
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Sound to me like the best way to do it. Why cause those by-elections now when they may not be needed?

Why did you bring wages into it? People should be paid for doing a job so that has nothing to do with it as far as I am concerned.
need ya ask that question mate?
Old 25-11-2009, 09:03   #216
God Member

Quote:

Neil if he were to resign in say March there wouldn't be a by-election.. that's the point I've been trying to make.

I bring up wages because as somebody said in another thread about holding office as an MEP and MP, there would not be enough time to do both jobs, the person would effectively just be taking taxpayers money needlessly. In this case a lot of council meetings etc would be during the week, yet if elected Graham would be in London.
Old 25-11-2009, 09:35   #217
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Let's see what PB would do then ... if he gets put up for the Conservative vote.
My guess would be the same as Graham is doing as I think it is the best way.
Old 25-11-2009, 09:45   #218
God Member

No one in their right mind is going to resign from their job without knowing that they have been given a new one. No one in industry would do that, even if it meant that their employer had to put out new adverts to reappoint after they'd gone.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 09:47   #219
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
I don't think it's a bad thing that somebody has raised the issue of taxpayers paying for needless by-elections. If your candidate thinks he is going to win, then there is no problem in resigning from his local government posts.
That is another silly statement. Everyone standing will hope to win but only a few will. Why cause by-elections costing money if they are not needed. If he stood down now the people who voted him for local and country will feel let down. He might as well wait and see if he wins his seat before he lets them down.

And yes I do think that any local councillor who then becomes an MP and stands down is letting down the residents of the ward who voted them in.

I also think that Graham (or whoever) can do a lot more for his ward as a local Councillor than as an MP.

I am still undecided if I think someone should be able to be a local and county councillor at the same time.

Maybe a good question is - Should Local/County Councillors be allowed to stand for election as an MP?
Old 25-11-2009, 09:54   #220
God Member

Quote:
That is another silly statement. Everyone standing will hope to win but only a few will. Why cause by-elections costing money if they are not needed. If he stood down now the people who voted him for local and country will feel let down. He might as well wait and see if he wins his seat before he lets them down.

And yes I do think that any local councillor who then becomes an MP and stands down is letting down the residents of the ward who voted them in.

I also think that Graham (or whoever) can do a lot more for his ward as a local Councillor than as an MP.

I am still undecided if I think someone should be able to be a local and county councillor at the same time.

Maybe a good question is - Should Local/County Councillors be allowed to stand for election as an MP?
Neil I'm sorry, I must not be making my point clear enough. Resigning now would be silly, as you say it would cause a by-election and cost us money. If he were to resign next year at some point before the local elections, there wouldn't need to be a costly by-election.

I think local/county councillors should be able to stand for election as an MP. It should be up to the electorate to decide if they want an MP with other jobs or not.
Old 25-11-2009, 10:01   #221
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
No one in their right mind is going to resign from their job without knowing that they have been given a new one. No one in industry would do that, even if it meant that their employer had to put out new adverts to reappoint after they'd gone.
There is a flaw in your logic Gayle.
You are you assuming that Councillors are in their right mind
Old 25-11-2009, 10:03   #222
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Neil I'm sorry, I must not be making my point clear enough. Resigning now would be silly, as you say it would cause a by-election and cost us money. If he were to resign next year at some point before the local elections, there wouldn't need to be a costly by-election.
Again though if he did not become an MP he would let his ward down.

Even though it costs more money I agree with waiting and standing down if required
Old 25-11-2009, 10:18   #223
God Member

Quote:
There is a flaw in your logic Gayle.
You are you assuming that Councillors are in their right mind

Well I do agree that it takes a special sort of madman (woman) to want to be a councillor in the first place. ;D

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 10:48   #224
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Well I do agree that it takes a special sort of madman (woman) to want to be a councillor in the first place. ;D
our illustrious council leader being a fine example of that.
Old 25-11-2009, 11:23   #225
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
our illustrious council leader being a fine example of that.

He may be mad but he is a very good ward Councillor.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..