Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-11-2009, 10:18   #256
Give, give, give member

Re: Potential Labour Candidate for Hyndburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Now I'm a little confused Aren't all MP's expenses in public domain?
No, that's been the trouble, and the cause of all the recent scandals, and the resulting public anger.

The majority of our politicans fought tooth and nail to block any moves for greater transparency, when there were attempts made for their expenses to be fully public.

It was only when they were leaked to the press and published that many of the abuses came to light.

The Public Prosecution Service are currently considering if a number of politicans (from both the Commons and the Lords) are to be charged with fraud.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-11-2009, 15:57   #257
Senior Member+

I do think politicians have to be open. Anyone passing my house can see scalfolding and a lot of timber. I have remortaged £40k to do the work. I know it's sad but I want people to be confident about things.

Posted from mobile
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 16:07   #258
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
I do think politicians have to be open. Anyone passing my house can see scalfolding and a lot of timber. I have remortaged £40k to do the work. I know it's sad but I want people to be confident about things.

Posted from mobile
I don't really think that's the sort of thing the public care about/need to be told about. Only taxpayer related expenses should be. What you do with your own money is nobody elses business.
Old 26-11-2009, 16:10   #259
God Member

Sadly, some people would question where he got the money from, so even though it's nobody's business I can understand why he's announcing it.

Everything that Graham does between now and the election will be under scrutiny, he might as well cut people off at the pass by being clear about any spend.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 16:35   #260
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
If you had waited you might have been able to make your Accy house your second home and get the work done for nothing.
Old 26-11-2009, 16:38   #261
God Member

And that's precisely why he's posted it on here, now, so that he can't be accused of that.

Old 26-11-2009, 16:45   #262
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Didn't you go and lick envelopes for Conservative M.P. David 'Dickie' Davis, after he'd thrown his political dummy out of his pram, and caused a needless by-election, costing us all an estimated £200,000.00?

David Davis by-election 'will cost taxpayers £200,000' - Telegraph

Perhaps because this was tucked away at the bottom of the previous page, is the reason andrewb hasn't commented....yet.

Old 26-11-2009, 16:51   #263
God Member

Quote:
Perhaps because this was tucked away at the bottom of the previous page, is the reason andrewb hasn't commented....yet.

Well what are you asking me? Yes I did go and help in that by-election. You already knew that.
Old 26-11-2009, 18:02   #264
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Well what are you asking me? Yes I did go and help in that by-election. You already knew that.
Well since you're making a big song and dance about by-elections costing the public purse a lot of money, for example the one you helped in, held purely for Davis's vanity, why are you making a fuss if Graham causes a by-election(s), if he's elected as our M.P.?

Old 26-11-2009, 19:18   #265
God Member

Quote:
Well since you're making a big song and dance about by-elections costing the public purse a lot of money, for example the one you helped in, held purely for Davis's vanity, why are you making a fuss if Graham causes a by-election(s), if he's elected as our M.P.?
I helped out in the by-election, I wasn't responsible for the fact that there was one. At the time it was my first involvement in a national election which was very interesting. In hindsight it was, as you protested at the time, a needless by-election which cost the taxpayer a lot of money.

Graham has now confirmed that he doesn't intend to stand down and cause a by-election. He's instead going to remain a county and district councillor if he is to be elected Hyndburn's MP.
Old 26-11-2009, 20:41   #266
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I don't think it's a bad thing that somebody has raised the issue of taxpayers paying for needless by-elections.
That's good.

Good that you can now see that unnecessary by-elections are a total waste of public money, and of time, for those foolish enough to offer their assistance in such elections.

Old 26-11-2009, 20:53   #267
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb;
Graham has now confirmed that he doesn't intend to stand down and cause a by-election. He's instead going to remain a county and district councillor if he is to be elected Hyndburn's MP.
that is not quite correct. I said I enjoy DC & LCC as a community rep so if I was not good enough to be MP (ie I lost) I still think I have a loT to give locally for my area.

If I were to be MP then there are big questions, pluses and minus's to doing the local as well. Time consuming or staying in touch with Hyndburn and ordinary people. It has been done both ways in the past, this wouldn't be a first. Clearly the local role would be like the Mayors who receives a lot of latitude.

I did say anything I did do I would not wish to compensated for in anyway as MPs are already adequatly compensated.

PB is actually up for election and I believe if he has it his way he will stand on a local ballot paper for ST Andrews and general election for H&H. I do not know his intentions after that but I will hazard a guess he would like to do both to stay in touch.

Last edited by g jones; 26-11-2009 at 20:56.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 21:17   #268
God Member

Quote:
that is not quite correct. I said I enjoy DC & LCC as a community rep so if I was not good enough to be MP (ie I lost) I still think I have a loT to give locally for my area.

If I were to be MP then there are big questions, pluses and minus's to doing the local as well. Time consuming or staying in touch with Hyndburn and ordinary people. It has been done both ways in the past, this wouldn't be a first. Clearly the local role would be like the Mayors who receives a lot of latitude.

I did say anything I did do I would not wish to compensated for in anyway as MPs are already adequatly compensated.

PB is actually up for election and I believe if he has it his way he will stand on a local ballot paper for ST Andrews and general election for H&H. I do not know his intentions after that but I will hazard a guess he would like to do both to stay in touch.
Sorry Graham, when you said earlier about not taking allowances from HBC or LCC if elected MP I thought this was you indicating you would stay on. Is it that you haven't decided what you'd do yet? If so, do you think it would be wise to tell the electorate at some point so that it's clear to them what positions you would intend to hold?

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean about Peter. Are you saying he will stand in the district elections and general election? I'm confused when you say H&H, what's that?
Old 26-11-2009, 21:21   #269
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I helped out in the by-election, I wasn't responsible for the fact that there was one. At the time it was my first involvement in a national election which was very interesting. In hindsight it was, as you protested at the time, a needless by-election which cost the taxpayer a lot of money.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, especially if it suits yer present theme.
Old 26-11-2009, 21:34   #270
God Member

Quote:
Sorry Graham, when you said earlier about not taking allowances from HBC or LCC if elected MP I thought this was you indicating you would stay on. Is it that you haven't decided what you'd do yet? If so, do you think it would be wise to tell the electorate at some point so that it's clear to them what positions you would intend to hold?

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean about Peter. Are you saying he will stand in the district elections and general election? I'm confused when you say H&H, what's that?

Oh, come on Andrew! Graham has only just been chosen as the candidate, give him a chance. Yes, it might be wise for him to make some decisions so that he can tell the electorate befoe the election but it's not necessary for him to jump in this second and make that decision. The general election hasn't even been called yet so we have no idea when it will be.

H&H - Hyndburn and Haslingden.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..