Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 17:00   #1
Resident Waffler

Praise for Sense

Well, praise for the area manager of 'Sense' actually, Mrs. Barbara Hand.

Yesterday I was having a look round 'Sense' the new charity shop on Broadway. I spotted an item of furniture which was ideal for a spot in our hallway. Paid for it and arranged for it to be delivered today, at an extra charge. Was told that deliveries are done sometime between 10am and 3pm but they couldn't specify when. I told them I couldn't have it delivered tomorrow as I wouldn't be in in the morning and couldn't guarantee what time I would get back.

I saw him write it down in a book. I waited in all day today, not even daring to go out to the shed in case the delivery came and I missed it. Every time the phone rang I thought it would be the delivery man saying he was coming as they had said he would phone before coming.

3pm came and went but the item of furniture didn't so I got Mimi to call in at the shop on her way home from college to see what was happening. (I didn't have a phone number for the shop.) She phoned me to say that they claimed to have no record of me wanting it delivered. I spoke to them and this varied between my not being 'in the book' to my details saying that I didn't want it delivering today but wanted it tomorrow morning, to my details only being in one book when they should be in two. The driver apparently only looks at his delivery book and it had only been written in the furniture book.

The manager asked if they could deliver it tomorrow. I said no because I didn't know when I'd be in but asked if I could collect it when we got back and could I have my delivery fee refunded. She said I couldn't have it back because it had already been given to the driver to cover his deisel. I asked how he could need it to cover deisel he hadn't used because he hadn't been.

By this time I was losing my cool and got rather annoyed with her so by the time she said "Is it my fault if I have incompetent staff?" I replied that it certainly wasn't mine!

Anyway she said she couldn't refund me even if I picked it up because she needed authority from the area manager to do refunds. So I asked for the phone number of the area manager.

I phoned a lovely lady by the name of Barbara Hand who is the area manager and she was brilliant. She said the driver didn't actually finish until 5pm and as he was at that very moment sitting upstairs in the Accrington shop she would get him to put it on his van and bring it up here - which she did, and which he did, and here it is. Now she made it so simple. If only the manager of the Accrington shop could have responded to Mimi with "Oh sorry, we've obviously got our wires crossed. I'll get the driver to pop up with it now." It would have saved her being on the receiving end of a very miffed Willow.

Well done Mrs Hand. You have restored my faith in humanity.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-11-2007, 17:24   #2
God Member

Re: Praise for Sense

It was a bit hectic in the shop today I'm afraid, what with some sickos stealing things this morning. Yes... stealing from a charity shop. I hope the culprits catch some ferocious disease where their fingers fall off.

Anyway, I'm glad all got sorted Willow
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 17:32   #3
Resident Waffler

Grrrrr. How sick can anybody get to steal from a charity shop?

It is incredible isn't it? What did they nick?

One time somebody took a charity collection box off the counter of the bank where I worked. That made me livid when I thought of all the little old ladies who had put their bits of change in there out of their pensions.

Stealing from charity is the lowest of the low in my view.

Old 09-11-2007, 17:36   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
It is incredible isn't it? What did they nick?
Think they got away with some clothes or something like that. Probably some smack addict looking for something to flog.
Doesn't matter what they stole though really - it's about principle. Whatever happened to moral decency.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 17:40   #5
Beacon of light

Shaker, common decency isn't that common anymore. It seems to be every man for himself/herself.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 17:52   #6
Resident Waffler

Anyway, thing is I just wanted to say well done and a big thanks and all that to Mrs. Hand for sorting things out so quickly despite the fact that she was miles away (Skegness I think she said - or was it Scunthorpe?) She was brilliant. In a matter of minutes she had it all under control and done and dusted.

Old 09-11-2007, 17:53   #7
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Doesn't matter what they stole though really - it's about principle. Whatever happened to moral decency.

Just hoping it wasn't valuable stuff and a big loss for the charity - moral decency? I don't think people like that know the meaning of the word!

Old 09-11-2007, 20:12   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I hope the culprits catch some ferocious disease where their fingers fall off.
Are you suggesting that your goods are infected with some leprosy type disease?
Old 09-11-2007, 22:22   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
It was a bit hectic in the shop today I'm afraid, what with some sickos stealing things this morning. Yes... stealing from a charity shop.
I hope they weren't nicking any of those cool, groovy 45's I'm coming in to buy tomorrow!

Seriously though, that's despicable and, Shakey, I promise I will buy something even if it's just a Des O'Connor single to chuck at the Huddersfield goalie's head!
Old 09-11-2007, 22:40   #10
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I hope they weren't nicking any of those cool, groovy 45's I'm coming in to buy tomorrow!
THAT'S what I was going to look for!

Old 09-11-2007, 22:45   #11
white rabbits

Well done Mrs Hand............
Old 09-11-2007, 22:54   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
THAT'S what I was going to look for!
Willow, as you're on the spot, so to speak, you'll probably be there before me...just leave me a couple...that's all I ask!
Old 09-11-2007, 23:14   #13
Resident Waffler

I won't be on the spot - have to be in Blackburn tomorrow morning and don't know what time I'll get back so you may beat me to it.

Old 09-11-2007, 23:17   #14
Super Moderator

OK, well, I promise to leave a few for you then (especially the Matt Monroe ones! )
Old 10-11-2007, 07:01   #15
Resident Waffler

You can have them!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..