Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2020, 08:12   #16
God Member

Re: Premier League - You're 'avin' a laugh

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1241428]
Now isn't that a worry....and isn't it a bit fascist....you will think this way or you will not have a job, a career, a house, a life.

i think i,ll go through all my old books today just in case i have a copy of something that offended someone. trolleybuses of huddersfield must be first on the burning pile. there is a reference in it about the recruitment of west indian staff in the early 50,s and the housing they were offered did not have its own swimming pool, double garage and no central heating.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-06-2020, 08:24   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The chap who chartered the plane with the banner has now been sacked from his job.
Yet he has committed no offence.
He has been sacked for voicing a different point of view.
Now isn't that a worry....and isn't it a bit fascist....you will think this way or you will not have a job, a career, a house, a life.

I think that I would be seeking an employment lawyer to take on my case.
that is the most RIDICULOUS thing i ever heard,it to me is very FACIST, its the same thing as what HITLER did pre war.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 25-06-2020, 10:24   #18
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
that is the most RIDICULOUS thing i ever heard,it to me is very FACIST, its the same thing as what HITLER did pre war.
It seems that the airport the plane flew from has suspended any future flights from that company, even though the Police say no crime was committed, talk about shooting the messenger!

https://news.sky.com/story/outraged-...stunt-12013293
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 11:49   #19
Beacon of light

Free Speech is not free at all(unless it supports the 'woke' position)...it comes at the cost of your job or your business.

That is very sad(in the worrying sense).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 08:10   #20
God Member

Quote:
Free Speech is not free at all(unless it supports the 'woke' position)...it comes at the cost of your job or your business.

That is very sad(in the worrying sense).
on top of that people have been forced down their line whether they agree or not. the whole of public opinion matters little as long as certan sections are happy. its nothing new however its been a 20 year situation where certain opinions matter and others do not. nearly every day we are confrunted with, you cannot say that, you cannot do that and eventually you cannot even think that.
Old 26-06-2020, 16:28   #21
Beacon of light

It is being reported that Elton College are going to 'decolonialise'' history.
What does that mean exactly?
Well, it means that they are going to teach history as seen from their perspective. Through the prism of their ideology.....which is a worry.
It means that maybe the stories of our past will be edited.
How can this be the right way to teach adults?
They are not teaching them how to think, or how to analyse our history.
It means that the students will be taught WHAT to think....and how can these teachers be the arbiters of the viewing of the past?
What are their qualifications for this job.
Old 26-06-2020, 17:36   #22
God Member

Presumably they’ll also need to ‘decolonialise’ Roman history and () African history!
Here’s a quote from Wokipedia (sic):
The West African empires of this period peaked in power in the late 18th century, paralleling the peak of the Atlantic slave trade. These empires implemented a culture of permanent warfare in order to generate the required numbers of captives required to satisfy the demand for slaves by the European colonies. With the gradual abolition of slavery in the European colonial empires during the 19th century, slave trade again became less lucrative and the West African empires entered a period of decline, and mostly collapsed by the end of the 19th century.
So it seems the abolition of slavery by Britain 187 years ago helped to end militaristic African empires that fed the slave trade.
Whoda thunk it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_empires
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 18:05   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well who actually goes to Eton that isnt a tit?
Old 26-06-2020, 20:52   #24
Beacon of light

Cashy, that is not the point.(and I know that you really know this)
If Elton does it, then next it will be the oxbridge Universities, then the red bricks.....all stultifying the brains of young people who are supposed to be bright.
You cannot be bright against the tide of academics who wish to distort the history of our past for politically correct reasons....usually because of left wing influence.
Old 26-06-2020, 20:55   #25
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Presumably they’ll also need to ‘decolonialise’ Roman history and () African history!
Here’s a quote from Wokipedia (sic):
The West African empires of this period peaked in power in the late 18th century, paralleling the peak of the Atlantic slave trade. These empires implemented a culture of permanent warfare in order to generate the required numbers of captives required to satisfy the demand for slaves by the European colonies. With the gradual abolition of slavery in the European colonial empires during the 19th century, slave trade again became less lucrative and the West African empires entered a period of decline, and mostly collapsed by the end of the 19th century.
So it seems the abolition of slavery by Britain 187 years ago helped to end militaristic African empires that fed the slave trade.
Whoda thunk it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_empires
They do not want to hear it because it does not fit their fascist agenda..The one where we are all meant to subscribe to the same ideology....where dissent is not tolerated....where a different opinion can be detrimental to your job, your home and your career.....speak out against these BLM and you are lower than dirt.
Old 27-06-2020, 07:12   #26
God Member

Quote:
You cannot be bright against the tide of academics who wish to distort the history of our past for politically correct reasons....usually because of left wing influence.
when you think of the left wing you think of the labour party. the left wing influence is even stronger than anything labour could come out with. eventually enough will be seen as enough which ended not that long ago with a 80 seat conservative majority. it was back to good old brexit again. they just could not get their heads round the fact that so many who called themselves from the left actually wanted brexit. they also do not understand that many of the left do not want the re writing of history for these odd balls.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..