Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-06-2008, 14:17   #1

Price of food.

How much is your weekly shopping bill? How much more are you willing to spend? I suppose we dont have much choice, its like fuel (petrol).
I spend around £80 a week for 4 of us. I know a family that spends £140 for 3. I never seem to spend enough and cant quite cope with the idea that the kids are growing and need more food. It'd be jam butties and water if i had my way .

But really, how much should an average households shopping bill be?

We try to never set foot in Asda, prefering Aldi instead. Adsa houses the devil i'm sure, life seems to ebb away from me when i go there. I'm sure the devil will also house Tesco when that arrives too.
Am i rambling? Probably. Apologies if so, but i wouldn't be surprised if the economy crashes and were all rationed again.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-06-2008, 14:18   #2
God Member

Re: Price of food.

depending on where i do my shopping my average weekly bill for me and Reece is around £30/£40
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 14:36   #3
God Member

Actually our food bill is coming down,!!!! i think due to the `credit crunch` we are being a lot more careful what we throw in our trolley so its having a positive affect on us at the moment.....! although we`ll see how long it lasts.........
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 14:39   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i reckon about £80, 18 months ago same stuff about £55.
Old 20-06-2008, 14:41   #5
Senior Member+

Buy alot of stuff from Asda , however places like Lidl who do really good fruit and veg etc save you that little bit of cash! Id say we must spend £60/70 - family of four

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 14:42   #6
Senior Member+

our weekly bill is constantly rising
ive started looking at prices today never bothered much before
one item stuck out for notice my tub of marg had gone up 30p
in a week 1.68 for a standard tub of flora
what single item have you found to have risen drasticly ?
or is it everything

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 14:51   #7
God Member

bit hard to say what ours is as I buy some things montly and soem weekly and some as we need them. I'd estimate about £60-70/week.

I would say that I think most food basics are still cheaper than they were in real terms 10 years ago. I think teh major issue is brand snobbery. you often pay twice as much for teh 'brand' than a non brand version.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 14:57   #8
God Member

1kg of Go Cat dried food £3.78 at Tesco then went down to £3.00 for a few weeks then yesterday.......................£4.49
Old 20-06-2008, 15:10   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
1kg of Go Cat dried food £3.78 at Tesco then went down to £3.00 for a few weeks then yesterday.......................£4.49
You'll have to try a different diet.
Old 20-06-2008, 15:11   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
You'll have to try a different diet.
LOL........
Old 20-06-2008, 15:15   #11
God Member

ALDI? CHEAP? HUH....if you call nearly £1 for some spring onions at aldi cheap then fair enough but i dont i think its ridiculous, i also noticed that their fruit has gone up too, i havent been in years and i went this week to see if i could save some money, they didnt have half as much on the shop floor as i expected, cheap beans where 22p, they are a lot cheaper at asda, tin of plum tomatoes where 20 odd pence, they are also cheaper at asda,, aldi's crap full stop, i wont be going again
Old 20-06-2008, 15:18   #12
God Member

Must agree Flashy one.......Aldi is NOT cheap, you only save money at Aldi because they have nowt much really to buy.......... go to Tesco, Asda etc and stick to their own brands and don`t buy anything you don`t really want and it will be cheaper than Aldi.......tried and tested it loads to save some dosh but always end up back at Tesco..........their spring onions were 35p.......
Old 20-06-2008, 15:19   #13
God Member

its true pipples....plus it cost me nearly £6 return on the bus to get there for me and Reece
Old 20-06-2008, 15:21   #14
God Member

£6................! was that an american branch of aldi....?....no i know what you mean buses are ridiculous these days
Old 20-06-2008, 16:14   #15
Resident Waffler

Aldi used to be cheap and cheerful but it's pretty much the same as Asda and Tesco now if you get the own brand and special offer stuff.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..