Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2009, 20:50   #91
I am Banned

Prince Harry & Racism

Snce when has a nickname been racist.
The Australians call us Poms, the Yanks call us Limeys.
We refer to the Australians as Diggers, the Americans as Yanks, the Irish as Micks, the Welsh as Taffs, the Scots as Jocks, the French as Frogs, the Germans as Bosh and the New Zealanders as Kiwi's. Since when have these nicknames be racist.
We had no racism in this country before 1948.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-01-2009, 21:11   #92

Re: Prince Harry accused of racism

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
We There are all kinds of nick names Taffy, Mike(Irish) Paddy (Irish) See you Jimmy, Danes, Swedes, I'm sure Glasgow Guy don't go off in a huff if the word Jock is used as a term of endearment, so whats so offensive at shortening Pakistani,. Its only offencive when you have some kind of hidden agenda
I believe it is being regarded as offensive because a Pakistan group leader say`s it is offensive, when these spokesmen speek out they are regarded as speeking for the majority of the all community and the national press have no other option but to report on these matters for fear of being accused of racial discrimination.We all know the working mans press are well aware that these headlines will also sell news papers.We also know that these remarks from Harry were not intended to be offensive and are now being used by these community leaders for a different agenda.
Gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 21:38   #93
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordie View Post
.We all know the working mans press .
Sorry , but the term "working mans press" is a term I usually relate to things like a steam hammers and Press-brakes , not the purile ravings of the tabloid rags . Think you do a dis-service to working men/women everywhere if you think they are so ignorant that they can be conned by the self-serving propaganda of the likes of Murdoch and his ilk .

Maybe I am wrong , but I think the main readership of the 'red-tops' is for the sports reporting on the back pages (a bit more difficult to tell lies there) than for the main news pages which more often than consist of nothing more than slut/slag/Wag of the day and bingo competitions
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 22:20   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Sorry , but the term "working mans press" is a term I usually relate to things like a steam hammers and Press-brakes , not the purile ravings of the tabloid rags . Think you do a dis-service to working men/women everywhere if you think they are so ignorant that they can be conned by the self-serving propaganda of the likes of Murdoch and his ilk .

Maybe I am wrong , but I think the main readership of the 'red-tops' is for the sports reporting on the back pages (a bit more difficult to tell lies there) than for the main news pages which more often than consist of nothing more than slut/slag/Wag of the day and bingo competitions
Steam hammers and press-brakes, is that slang for a gentleman`s region of his anatomy
Old 12-01-2009, 22:46   #95
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
GOBBINERS, GOBBINERS how dare you kate, that's disgusting, you have really hurt you feelings now, there will be a protest march leaving the Civic Theatre at 1pm Saturday, bring your own banner, destination the Lamp
I hope you are not expecting an apology sir ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordie View Post
We also know that these remarks from Harry were not intended to be offensive and are now being used by these community leaders for a different agenda.
That was my point Gordie. How these community leaders react do have an influence on their members, and he could so easily have put the matter to bed by accepting Prince Harry's apology and negating the issue by suggesting it was his youth or something .. but, oh no, have to go on and on and on !

Where is Mr Khan in all this ? .. come out from the woodwork you coward and comment ... seems like he has been influenced by his uncle and others to keep his lip buttoned so they can carry on ranting about it.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 12:00   #96
Resting in Peace

No the SIR was quite enough tank you
Old 13-01-2009, 16:36   #97
God Member

And there's more. I've just heard this on the radio.

BREAKING NEWS: Prince Charles Calls Asian Friend "Sooty''

The Prince of Wales has become embroiled in controversy after it was claimed he has long called an Asian polo playing friend by the "affectionate nickname" of "Sooty".

Although refusing to respond to the specific allegation, Clarence House says it is "completely ridiculous" to suggest that Prince Charles is racist.

The Indian-born friend of the prince, Kuldip Singh Dhillon, is said to be "comfortable" with the nickname which Clarence House says is widely used by members of Cirencester Polo Club. I'm no royalist but they must have nothing better to write about at the moment. I bet they wouldn't report if Charlie's mate calls him Chalky.

BBC Story here

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Last edited by yerself; 13-01-2009 at 16:39.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 16:46   #98
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Has anyone noticed how I insulted three different races and the automatic censor never blinked an eyelid. Use the abbreviation for a certain Asian country, however, and asterisks begin to appear as if by magic.
Well it would would'nt it :
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 16:47   #99
Resting in Peace

Best not call his cleaner sweep then .....
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 17:12   #100
Resting in Peace

Let me get this right if I had to print the shortened form Of Pakistan on here, letters would be replaced by asterisks Well you could knock me down with a feather

Last edited by jaysay; 13-01-2009 at 17:14.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 01:19   #101
God Member

Quote:

The Prince of Wales has become embroiled in controversy after it was claimed he has long called an Asian polo playing friend by the "affectionate nickname" of "Sooty".

Although refusing to respond to the specific allegation, Clarence House says it is "completely ridiculous" to suggest that Prince Charles is racist.

The Indian-born friend of the prince, Kuldip Singh Dhillon, is said to be "comfortable" with the nickname which Clarence House says is widely used by members of Cirencester Polo Club. I'm no royalist but they must have nothing better to write about at the moment. I bet they wouldn't report if Charlie's mate calls him Chalky.

BBC Story here

Time for a public uproar if you ask me. its getting stupid . Thing is the public are 95% behind harry and his dad so why dont the damn powers that be sit up and take note ..HELLLLLOOOOOO!!!!! Gordon wake up and look around .
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 10:18   #102
Resting in Peace

Any word can be offencive when used in a way to offend, but in these cases its quite easy to see that what Harry and his Father have said are terms of endearment not racist insults in any way shape or from, but until we stop the Guardian reading moronic PC brigade set the agenda nothing is ever going to change
Old 14-01-2009, 10:30   #103
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Even the golliwog is classed as racist!. and Robertsons jam dont use it on the jars anymore!
Old 14-01-2009, 13:32   #104
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
Even the golliwog is classed as racist!. and Robertsons jam dont use it on the jars anymore!
I know someone who has one on her keyring though!!.....a Golliwog i mean...not a Jar Of Jam!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 15:22   #105

Quote:

BBC Story here
Charlie boy will have no problems with his nickname for Kuldip because unlike the pakistani`s the Indians don`t have community leaders all over Britain playing the race card to further their agenda.
I think this with Charlie is only the press blowing wind but with Harry I think
there is dark forces pardon the expression behind his remark.

Last edited by Gordie; 14-01-2009 at 15:29.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..