Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2009, 15:47   #106
God Member

Re: Prince Harry accused of racism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I know someone who has one on her keyring though!!.....a Golliwog i mean...not a Jar Of Jam!!

Best Regards - Taggy
I have a gollywog hanging from my bag. took it all round Gambia with me and loads gambians wanted one.didnt have one prob and it wasnt there to offend either.
I went over and didnt even give a thought to it being on my bag although it was a great conversation starter.

Oh and for the record they are sold as Gollywollys here.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-01-2009, 16:00   #107
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
I have a golliwog hanging from my bag. took it all round Gambia with me and loads gambians wanted one.didn't have one prob and it wasn't there to offend either.
I went over and didnt even give a thought to it being on my bag although it was a great conversation starter.

Oh and for the record they are sold as Gollywollys here.
Yea cherokee, but they don't get the Guardian in Gambia and don't have a PC Brigade either
Old 14-01-2009, 17:07   #108
Give, give, give member

Kuldip Singh Dhillon should just be glad the Prince of Wales isn't from Wigan.

There they pronounce Sooty to rhyme with cutie, rather than to rhyme with butty.

Heathens.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 17:36   #109
God Member

If Charles is such a good friend I'd be more worried about his sexual tendencies than his racial motives. Somebody has to have his hand up Sooty's bum for him to move
Old 14-01-2009, 17:42   #110
Give, give, give member

Poor Sue.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 19:10   #111
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Kuldip Singh Dhillon should just be glad the Prince of Wales isn't from Wigan.

There they pronounce Sooty to rhyme with cutie, rather than to rhyme with butty.

Heathens.

Has language evolved that much in Oswaldtwistle then? Time was when soot was pronounced the same as suit and a book was a bewk that you could lewk at while you were cewking.
Old 14-01-2009, 19:12   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Yea cherokee, but they don't get the Guardian in Gambia and don't have a PC Brigade either
I am not being ignorant but I don`t know what PC brigade means I can only guess it means (Pakistani Council)
Your quote would make obvious sense then.
Gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 19:16   #113
Resting in Peace

Short bulletin on local news that the Producers of Coronation Street omitted the crucifix on the wedding scene in order not to offend other groups !!!!!

Am an atheist, but respect all people to follow what they wish to believe in, and authenticity in drama is essential.

They have bloody aplogised .. should think so to.. pratts

This type of PC is stimulating my racist brain cells big time !
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 19:20   #114
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Has language evolved that much in Oswaldtwistle then? Time was when soot was pronounced the same as suit and a book was a bewk that you could lewk at while you were cewking.
Nah, you're wrong West Ender .. bewk is more Yorkshire .. us Lancashire folks have never heard of diphthongs .. so would be more like book as in 'Boo' with a 'k' at the end. LOL
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 19:24   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Short bulletin on local news that the Producers of Coronation Street omitted the crucifix on the wedding scene in order not to offend other groups !!!!!

Am an atheist, but respect all people to follow what they wish to believe in, and authenticity in drama is essential.

They have bloody aplogised .. should think so to.. pratts

This type of PC is stimulating my racist brain cells big time !
Mine have been stimulated for quite some time now Latex I mean Katex on these supposedly racial discrimination issues
Gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 19:59   #116
God Member

On the general issue of political correctness, I came across this quote in Lewis Lapham's collection of essays, "Waiting for the Barbarians." In his essay, "In the Garden of Tabloid Delight", as part of his conclusion, he comments: "Absent a unified field of moral law that commands a sufficiently large number of people to obedience and belief, with what else do we fill in the blanks except a lot of little rules - rules about how to address persons of differing colors or sexual orientation, about when to wear fur and when not to eat grapes, about what to read or where to smoke." Though his prose tends to be academic rather than clear, I think he is making a good point.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 20:04   #117

[quote=Gordie;669174]I am not being ignorant but I don`t know what PC brigade means I can only guess it means (Pakistani Council)
[/quote

PC means Political Correctness

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 20:06   #118
God Member

[quote=Sara;669194]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordie View Post
I am not being ignorant but I don`t know what PC brigade means I can only guess it means (Pakistani Council)
[/quote

PC means Political Correctness
Sara.................that was a wind up

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 20:24   #119

You are a mind of information wish you lived here you could help me with loads of stuff that i have problems with this stupid council that we have here.
bondi38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 20:26   #120
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Nah, you're wrong West Ender .. bewk is more Yorkshire .. us Lancashire folks have never heard of diphthongs .. so would be more like book as in 'Boo' with a 'k' at the end. LOL

Hey, I'm Lancashire folk too you know.

Perhaps I made the error of putting in slightly misleading vowels to illustrate the point. OK, for the sake of nitpicking, let's say boooook, loooook and coooook - with the double O as in "hoof".

West Yorkshire has a more "downwardly" pronounced double O, more like bo-uk. It's hard to transcribe without the phonetic pronunciation alphabet on my keyboard.

I love accents, have studied them (and spoken them) all my life, and I can differentiate some accents to within a few miles, especially near the places I've lived - Lancs, Rutland, Brum, Coventry, Yorks, Durham and now Cheshire - in that order.

Now, no more thread hijacking.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..